What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Three games on Anzac Day 2014?

elbusto

Coach
Just a thought as next year ANZAC Day is on a Friday:

Warriors v Storm 2pm

Easts v St George 4pm

Brisbane v ? 7pm

Three massive games - massive crowds, huge ratings and a great day of footy.

Main problem will be the Storm game.

Heritage XIII

Juniors
Good idea but I would have the Brisbane game on at 2pm as I actually think it is a good idea to have the Storm after the AFL at the G. I say this because a number of AFL fans would have gone to the Storm game and it is a chance to convert a few which no doubt has happened. One just has to look at Storm fb page and the number of fans who identify themselves as fans of their local AFL team and the Storm is quite remarkable.

LESStar58

Referee
Yep. Plenty of red and black and black and white on Thursday...and they weren't Warriors jerseys!

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Yeah Brisbane at 2pm would be best as well imo, would be stupid to mess with the storm warriors fixture being at 7pm after the success of recent years.

Perhaps Brisbane V Canberra? Would mean involvement of more capital cities on the day- Canberra, Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Auckland.

Problem with Brisbane at 2pm would be whether 9 would want that slot but also the moral issue of total saturation of the afternoon, evening and night by sport.

Even though I said the other day on another thread that I would like a Brissie game (I was jealous!) I think that broadcasting commitments would nix it. You don't want to bring it too far forward because you don't want to interfere with the ANZAC Day March. There were 50000 in town on the day and you risk either (a) interfering with it (to look at it morally), or (b) fragmenting your attendance base (if you look it like a banker/lawyer/ar*ehole).

Either way, the Roosters/Dragons game is on at a perfect time, and there definitely shouldn't be another match on at the same time. And as someone else said, it is pretty important to have the walkins from the MCG getting to the Storm, so you can't muck with that.

Of course, as a Broncos member, it will be good to NOT have a Friday night game for at least that round next year. :)

Desert Qlder

First Grade
We need more FTA coverage on key days like Anzac Day. Building the audience on a day like this is important to give us a competitive edge over rivals.

We have all the ingredients to do that as it is.

We probably will never win the viewing figures over the AFL as it is their biggest day outside GF day.

Our Anzac Day compliments our season, without it being the highlight. But it is growing in its current form and I see no reason for change. Dilution could negate its significance.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
We have all the ingredients to do that as it is.

We probably will never win the viewing figures over the AFL as it is their biggest day outside GF day.

Our Anzac Day compliments our season, without it being the highlight. But it is growing in its current form and I see no reason for change. Dilution could negate its significance.

Yes on second thoughts I will agree and say leave it as it is. Allow it to build as a tradition. And 2 matches on the day is more than enough.

Would there be any way to have a armed forces curtain raiser I.e army v navy or air force?

BuffaloRules

Coach
I would keep it at 2 games until the 2nd NZ team joins the NRL and have them play the Broncos in NZ at 4pm NZ time.

Billythekid

First Grade
We need more FTA coverage on key days like Anzac Day. Building the audience on a day like this is important to give us a competitive edge over rivals.

You can also overdo and i think adding a 3rd game would be. I can't help but feel that it may be viewed as the NRL attempting to exploit anzac day as well.

beave

Coach
Broncos v cows in brissy on anzac day would be a waste of an 'event' occasion as that game already gets an awesome turn out. You want to get 2 teams playing on that day that dont normally draw a great crowd and then promote it big time. I posted this in the crowd thread

I know the NRL have to be careful in having too many games on ANZAC day and diluting the importance of each game, but I am surprised they haven't looked at having a game up here as well considering there's about 8k defence members living here. Todays game against the raiders is generally pretty average in the crowd department, if it was billed as a genuine ANZAC clash with the 2 for 1 ticket deal for ADF members I reckon the region would really respond and you would get a 18-20k turn up. Food for thought I guess.

Iafeta

Referee
The event is set as far as ANZAC day goes. I know it seems tradition that Brisbane must have a Friday night game, but in this instance I think the occasion and tradition depicts that it should not.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
to quote a man less smarter than i..

34136626.jpg

anzac day is a day of rememberance, not a day of football.

i think both the NRL and AFL have got it right by having a traditional game, with the dedication & respect provided to those who have fallen..

the 2nd game in the NRL is pushing it enough.. to then have the entire day dedicated to football just seems ridiculous and disrespectful, and loses the essence of both anzac day, and the traditional anzac day game.

the potential solution if other clubs want to get in on the act could be to have the winner defend their trophy, the loser out of the anzac day match for the following year.

the winner could then play, say, the minor premier from the prior year.. eg this year would have been dragons v bulldogs.. keeps some kind of link from year to year, but allows other clubs to be a part of the anzac day ceremony, without going for football overkill.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
2 is enough. We've already got Australia v NZ test match (yes, I'm aware that it is no longer billed as the Anzac test but it is on at the same time of year).

More games will just mean more lame cammo jerseys anyway.

Latest posts