What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teddyboy

First Grade
If only it was like this all the team but still good effort for the 3 games and it's nice to put the finger up to the A-League lot and so-called RL writer's.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
If only it was like this all the team but still good effort for the 3 games and it's nice to put the finger up to the A-League lot and so-called RL writer's.

That's the thing teddy, when RL first really took off in the 80's, just as it was about to peak in the mid 90's, it was chopped off at the knees in it's original Australian heartland!

Rugby League on and off the field is a tough bloody sport, $1.3b or there abouts after all the crap of the last 15 years, tell em the're dreaming!

Teddyboy

First Grade
That's the thing teddy, when RL first really took off in the 80's, just as it was about to peak in the mid 90's, it was chopped off at the knees in it's original Australian heartland!

Rugby League on and off the field is a tough bloody sport, $1.3b or there abouts after all the crap of the last 15 years, tell em the're dreaming!

You are right about Rugby League as a tough sport on and off the field as I don't know how many other codes have had hits off the field and still survived and even prospered.
I know iam quick to be doom and gloom but go back up and hit a high when I see great crowds this weekend and previous.
The only thing I wish the NRL/SL could do is bring some nice v neck jerseys back;-).

Brutus

Referee
You are right about Rugby League as a tough sport on and off the field as I don't know how many other codes have had hits off the field and still survived and even prospered.
I know iam quick to be doom and gloom but go back up and hit a high when I see great crowds this weekend and previous.
The only thing I wish the NRL/SL could do is bring some nice v neck jerseys back;-).

Very good Teddy.

Now shut up.

Too many teams in Sydney.

One swallow doesn't make a summer.

--
The records keep tumbling..

In the interests of collective self-congratulation, here are the records as they have tumbled this round:

Thursday: Highest regular season, standalone match attendance for a Roosters home game since 1974.
Thursday: Equal highest regular season match attendance for a Storm home game.
Friday: Highest regular season attendance for a Sea Eagles home game since 1997.

Surely there's a journo out there wanting to write that story. Surely.

--

And for the Gallop-bashers, did you know:

David Gallop was NRL CEO for 10 and a bit seasons. Those seasons comprise the top 10 historically best attended seasons by average, except for 2002 (in which he only took on the CEO's job in February).

Last edited:

Billythekid

First Grade
And the next 10 seasons will most likely be the 10 biggest in history. The game is growing so that's to be expected. That doesn't change all the terrible things Gallop did whilst he was in charge.

This is true. However, it is worth noting that the NRL today is a different organisation to the one that Gallop was CEO of, and if you are going to judge his legacy, it is only fair to recognise that there were very real constraints to how he was able to exercise his power.

And under those circumstances, he took the game from one that was constantly on the ropes to one that by about 2009/2010 stopped being considered a joke and started to gain some self-confidence and started to boom again.

<rant>After living through: Super league has killed the game, AFL is going to kill the game, the Rugby World Cup is going to kill the game, the Socceroos World Cup qualificiation is going to kill the game... etc etc, it is good to be back out there on the front foot. I remember an article in the Courier-Mail back in 2003 that interviewed some nuffy PE teacher in Logan who said that he wanted to bring in Rugby because rugby league wouldn't exist in 18 months time. Around the same time, I remember a colleague who said to me that I needed to follow the Lions for pretty much the same reason.</rant>

Cletus

First Grade
Gallop was always fairly negative towards the game but to be fair to him he didn't have the money to promote games. I've seen more ads for games this year than the last five and your kidding yourself if you think it doesn't make a difference. I also think there's a much more positive vibe about the game since the IC took over despite News trying to deathride us at every opportunity.

Billythekid

First Grade
I won't pretent to know the extent of how Gallop did his job, let's face it most of his work happens behind close doors. I can only judge him on what happened publicly. He constantly talked down our game. He saw us get a tv deal which saw RL get massively ripped off in terms of monetary value and level of coverage. When there was a chance for him to defend a game (like when channel 9 were breaking their obligations to show storm games in Melbourne before midnight) he stood back and did nothing or even made excuses for them.

Maybe he made some good decisions behind the scene and we certainly could have done worse. I can never think of him as someone who did a good job for league though. The fact that he has now went to a competitor and is now doing the things he should have been doing for the NRL (with even more limitations in place) kinda reinforces my thinking.

This is true. However, it is worth noting that the NRL today is a different organisation to the one that Gallop was CEO of, and if you are going to judge his legacy, it is only fair to recognise that there were very real constraints to how he was able to exercise his power.

And under those circumstances, he took the game from one that was constantly on the ropes to one that by about 2009/2010 stopped being considered a joke and started to gain some self-confidence and started to boom again.

<rant>After living through: Super league has killed the game, AFL is going to kill the game, the Rugby World Cup is going to kill the game, the Socceroos World Cup qualificiation is going to kill the game... etc etc, it is good to be back out there on the front foot. I remember an article in the Courier-Mail back in 2003 that interviewed some nuffy PE teacher in Logan who said that he wanted to bring in Rugby because rugby league wouldn't exist in 18 months time. Around the same time, I remember a colleague who said to me that I needed to follow the Lions for pretty much the same reason.</rant>

I'm just not sure how much of this was because of Gallop. I agree that the perception of our game had gotten quite poor but it didn't help that our CEO would talk down our game and talk up our competitors whenever he got the chance.

Gallop was always fairly negative towards the game but to be fair to him he didn't have the money to promote games. I've seen more ads for games this year than the last five and your kidding yourself if you think it doesn't make a difference. I also think there's a much more positive vibe about the game since the IC took over despite News trying to deathride us at every opportunity.

He did oversee the TV deal that saw our game get screwed over and massively under payed.

Last edited:

Cletus

First Grade
I'm just not sure how much of this was because of Gallop. I agree that the perception of our game had gotten quite poor but it didn't help that our CEO would talk down our game and talk up our competitors whenever he got the chance.

He did oversee the TV deal that saw our game get screwed over and massively under payed.

Yes and then he said it was a good deal and that's all the game was worth. Massive difference in the attitude towards this rights deal and that's what's allowing the NRL to promote the game more. Gallop just seemed to accept whatever crumbs News threw our way.

beave

Coach
I know the NRL have to be careful in having too many games on ANZAC day and diluting the importance of each game, but I am surprised they haven't looked at having a game up here as well considering there's about 8k defence members living here. Todays game against the raiders is generally pretty average in the crowd department, if it was billed as a genuine ANZAC clash with the 2 for 1 ticket deal for ADF members I reckon the region would really respond and you would get a 18-20k turn up. Food for thought I guess.

& that is because gallop undersold our game .
Every constraint due to lack of $$$ can be laid at the feet of Gallop.

Diesel

Referee
Will the DT bag out the GWS crowd in tomorrow's paper? Anything over 4K would be a made up figure

DC_fan

Coach
Will the DT bag out the GWS crowd in tomorrow's paper? Anything over 4K would be a made up figure

I don't think they will because very few people give a damn about GWS. The Telegraph can go the whole year without writing about GWS. And you know what no one would notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.