What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F7's - Two Refs

Monk

Referee
So, as some of you may have noticed, we had two referee's (NT and Nutty) ref the Willow Cup final between Souths and the Ninjas. What do we all think of it, did it make it fairer/less fair/etc.

Match Thread

Would like to hear your thoughts and any suggestions you may have on the matter.

Cheers,
Pat.

gUt

Coach
I have never really had a problem with the refereeing, except when I'm not given man of the match, which is often.

Having two refs did not change this travesty. Therefore I say, whatever.

May as well go with it but sometimes it's hard enough getting one ref to front up in quick time. On the other hand sometimes refs are taken from the ranks of players who are involved in the comp so 2 refs would presumably smooth any concerns of cheating, if there have ever been any.

soc123_au

Staff member
Hard to say with only one match. The 2 refs both seemed consistent not so much in the actual scores, but the ranking of each article.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Just checked the link to 2010. Back then, both ref markings were sent independently to an admin. They were then posted by the admin and added up. That way neither ref had a chance of being influenced by the other. Not that it matters. In my experience, refs have been very impartial in 99% of matches.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I liked the way it worked. I think if the two ref's are marking consistently, it gives a good indication on the articles quality.

soc123_au

Staff member
Hadn't heard of any controversy. I thought the match was well marked. I was confident we had been well beaten before either Ref commented in the thread. NT was more generous with the actual scores than LN. But the gap between the scores on each article was very similar. I can't see any reason for complaint or controversy.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Not a biggie, just some folks wanted a royal commission. lol

I think it was more to do with it not going to Committee (even though both captains and referees agreed to it).

Don't want to dig up old bones but the discussions are here:

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=371909 (starts post #36)

and here: http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=373741

Actual match thread: http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=373440

As mentioned, it was for the 2010 F7s 4 Nations Final. FTR, it had been discussed a number of times before (since 2002).

Looking back at both match threads (2010 and 2013), it seemed to be quite successful. Just needs some tweaking.

The two main issues in 2010 were:

1. Available personnel. That is, do we have enough refs to do it consistently every round? Probably not.
So it seems to work best in Finals - as it did here in the Cup Final and in 4N Final in 2010. Perhaps it would work well in the Grand Final as well.

2. The other issue was what to do with the records.
Perhaps rather than adding the scores together, we could get an average score per player (from the two marks). Same for total team scores.

It also means the POTM may be shared - but that happens anyway.

Bottom line is that two refs are fine if that's what people want. The idea of trying it out is just to gauge the response and to see if it is practical. If the general consensus is positive, then you work from there.

And on having a 'Committee' for every decision - it was the first thing we banned after moving the F7s away from rleague. Seems to sneak back in every now and then lol. IMO, you have a few key personnel such yourselves: Monk, Drew, joshie and NT, and the captains. That's all you need.

Last edited:

Latest posts