What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

boring boring boring

super_coach

First Grade
The NRL wonder why their crowds are down, Gus says its all about to many weak playing rosters, others says its all about cost and I say because the game has become boring.

Todays big game, every set the same,five runs and a bomb. Both sides played the same game plan,grind away than bomb away. It was like watching paint dry and it is typical of how most games are played out these days.

The people who make the rules have to come up with a rule that makes the bomb not the percentage play. I know this subject has been done to death,but we will kill the game if we dont address the problem. Its so refreshing to see a team like the warriors actually try and run the ball over the line.

We had great crowds in 2005, when the tigers and cowboys would attack from anywhere, be great to see teams forced to actually construct some last tackle plays.

Anyway if they dont,AFL,the A league and even rugby might swallow them up

NrlCoach

Juniors
Blame the wrestling. Only team i watch is the warriors because they seem to be the only team that will attack each play instead of wait for the 4 tackle to attack

hutch

First Grade
More paranoia! The afl lost 300000 fans last year, waratahs crowds have halved in a decade and A-league still barely registers even though I enjoy it. It seems we are swallowing them up!

Ph1l

Juniors
I've thought this for quite awhile myself. I was expecting a great game today but nothing really eventuated. A lucky bounce here and there and the luckier side gets over the line. Unfortunately I can see the same thing happening next week between the Broncs and the Knights. If it isn't a yawn fest, I'll be surprised.

Pablo-13

Juniors
It would be interesting to see if changing
The game is restarted with an optional kick from the centre of the 20m line if:
(c) a defending player, in his in-goal, takes a kick in general play from an opponent on the full
to
(c) a defending player, in his in-goal or within 20 metres of his goal line, takes a kick in general play from an opponent on the full
made a positive difference.

Or you could tinker further, of course, e.g. catch in the 20 and restart from the 30m line or take the optional kick/taps only quickly anywhere in the 20.

Last edited:

Chook Norris

First Grade
I've thought this for quite awhile myself. I was expecting a great game today but nothing really eventuated. A lucky bounce here and there and the luckier side gets over the line. Unfortunately I can see the same thing happening next week between the Broncs and the Knights. If it isn't a yawn fest, I'll be surprised.

I don't think today really show cased the two side's attacking abilities. It got stuck into a bit of a forward battle and grind

DIMEAST

Juniors
Watching a grinding game is so shit, especially live at the ground. Expansive attacking footy is what makes league better than union and is what the NRL tries to market the game as in their campaigns.
Hopefully a team can become dominant by employing an attacking style of football and force the rest of the comp to adapt to suit

Misanthrope

Staff member
Blame the wrestling. Only team i watch is the warriors because they seem to be the only team that will attack each play instead of wait for the 4 tackle to attack

This. Wrestling has slowed the game down to the point that the kind of free-flowing, exciting attack the OP mentioned is largely a thing of the past unless one side is too geniused to pull of their own wrestling.

What about the Storm v Warriors game?

Boring?

Maybe AFL and Yawnion are for you.

Channel Nine need to pick their games better. Warriors are bloody entertaining.

magpie4ever

First Grade
We reward a 40-20 kick with a scrum which is really an extra 6 tackles.

Why not have a 60m attacking rule (20m-20m) where if an attacking team carries the ball 60 metres in 6 tackles they receive an extra 2 (?) tackles.

I agree the modern game is getting boring and robotic, at least 2 less interchanges would not go astray.

Noa

First Grade
Teams hold down to allow there d line to get set at the required 10m mark.

Pretty obvious what needs to be looked at.

kbw

Bench
I think its a combination of things
The cost of going to the game and the separation of the players from the real world.
The media control of the decision making is ruiing the game.
The bullcrap of inconsistency of the officiating, from the actual refereeing to the way players such as Csmith get away with things others are penalised for

El Diablo

Post Whore
The NRL wonder why their crowds are down, Gus says its all about to many weak playing rosters, others says its all about cost and I say because the game has become boring.

Todays big game, every set the same,five runs and a bomb. Both sides played the same game plan,grind away than bomb away. It was like watching paint dry and it is typical of how most games are played out these days.

The people who make the rules have to come up with a rule that makes the bomb not the percentage play. I know this subject has been done to death,but we will kill the game if we dont address the problem. Its so refreshing to see a team like the warriors actually try and run the ball over the line.

We had great crowds in 2005, when the tigers and cowboys would attack from anywhere, be great to see teams forced to actually construct some last tackle plays.

finger9tl.gif

Eddie.

Bench
I think supercoach makes a fair point. All team do when they are between 40 and 10 metres out is launch a bomb. It's not even to try and score, just to send 6 blokes down to nail the fullback inside the ten. It is boring. I don't know what the answer is however I would like to see the NRL experiment in trial games with maybe different rules regarding catching a bomb. What those rules could be i have no idea?!

The NRL should hire a script writer to direct and narrate the season as it unfolds a bit like WWE. In an effort to clean up the game, they have sanitised it and lost some characters in the game. Build personalities for the players and clubs, build rivalries and market them.

Imagine the headline Matai vs Allgood. Will something erupt and who will prevail?
Interview them before and after the game.

elbusto

Coach
Crowds dropped during Origin as usual but so did the ratings as well this year and both more than last year. The Origin effect is growing each season.

Crowd figures were better today and the ratings improved as well both on Fox and FTA.

I think that pretty much sums it up!

Teddyboy

First Grade

Crowds have been great/good from 2003-2009/2010 and 2006-2008 crowd's might have dipped because 2005 had set the benchmark too high.
But yeah i find the game boring most of the time now esp with that welsh wanker making it soft for the little David's and thomas's out there.

CC_Roosters

First Grade

Thought today's game was decent but i agree to a certain extent as Pearce's last tackle kicking is rubbish and predictable bombs up every time :(

Don't understand why more variety on last isn't coached as default since the attack becomes more unpredictable and dangerous as a result. Adam Reynolds varies his kicks to great effect as one exampme