What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rule Changes for 2014

Bronco18

Juniors
Not sure if this thread has been done but what the hell...

What rules would you like to see changed by 2014? Many feel this season's football quality was fairly average - huge blowouts, stale footy etc.

Or do you feel the game is complicated enough?

Personally, I'd like to see a reduction in the interchange rule, gradually lessening over the next few seasons. Everyone loves watching the little men like Barba, Bowen, Johnson, Segeyaro and Jenning's carve it up on their day and this would bring them more to the fore, and possibly cut down on the wrestle in the play the ball. I think it's a sign that we have too many interchanges when someone as fat as Kasiano (130 kg) can be a starting front-rower.

Someone

Bench
why does anything have to change?

if we keep making changes every year the product wont be recognizable ..

The Eagle

Juniors
What about if you get 10 or more penalties given to you in a game for a set of six you have 3 footballs handed to your team and the defending team must shut down each football,if you are to score with all 3 they will still be worth 4 points and each must be converted from within the same line of which they were scored

Souffs couldnt lose then could they?

DeeJ

Bench
FMD - If anything we need to UNDO the Shoulder charge and punching rule. Enough changes to the game FFS.

I agree with these. I think we should back to the way fighting used to be penalised - up to the referee. It should depend on the situation of the game, not a black and white rule.

In the past the ref had the option to bin or even send off if he thought it was bad enough, but there was no hard and fast rule (besides a penalty).

ellskimore

Juniors
Wow. So you were all pretty quick to shut this down. I think the OP is right. Too many interchanges holds the game back from being more free flowing. The quick creative guys get pounded for the opening of the match and then when the big ones tire, on comes another one to take his place. The cycle repeats and the little guys rarely get the opportunity to target a tiring player because they don't exist.

POPEYE

Coach
Just simplify rules so they can be understood and administered by simple people. Start with one rule for 'attacking the head of a player, no matter what part of the body is used' and of course minimise interchanges

Last edited:

Bronco18

Juniors
Just simplify rules so they can be understood and administered by simple people. Start with one rule for 'attacking the head of a player, no matter what part of the body is used' and of course minimise interchanges

You beauty, minimising interchanges!

With the attacking the head rule though, are we talking about for referees or the judiciary? I can see it becoming a point of conjecture at the judiciary as there'd be limited ways of determining what head high tackle is worse. Maybe some specific factors written down?

Nice Beaver

First Grade
They can change this bullshit rule where the video ref is not allowed to overrule the onfield ref decision on a try unless he has 100% indesputable evidence.

I have seen so many tries this year where the onfield ref has either given or not given a try and replays clearly show that to anyone who knows the rules and manner in which the rules should be administered, that the reverse decision should be applied.

But oh no, the decision can't be overruled because the evidence only supports the reversal by 98% instead of 100%.

Ridiculous rule.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Interchange is the big one; how about this.

2014 - 6 interchanges and 2 replacements (player replaced can not go back on)

2015 - 4 interchanges and 2 replacements

This should provide every player with enough time to change their required fitness levels to suit the rules.

Yes/No?

Someone

Bench
Interchange is the big one; how about this.

2014 - 6 interchanges and 2 replacements (player replaced can not go back on)

2015 - 4 interchanges and 2 replacements

This should provide every player with enough time to change their required fitness levels to suit the rules.

Yes/No?

2015 - 8 Interchanges

2017 - 5 interchanges / 2 replacements

it doesnt need to be done too quickly.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Stop with the rule changes for a while. It feels like we changed a bunch of rules every offseason then when you add all the ad hoc ones as the season goes on, enough is enough. Let the game breathe for a bit. In terms of staleness and blowouts or whatever else, let players and coaches have a chance to adapt themselves.

Each and every tactic that the game has ever thought up has been met with a counter-tactic. That's part of the beauty of the game.

The only thing I'd like to see done is not a rule change but a stricter following of a rule. Clamp down on wrestling and twisting. Be less lenient onfield with it and especially be less lenient in the judiciary.

Bronco18

Juniors
Stop with the rule changes for a while. It feels like we changed a bunch of rules every offseason then when you add all the ad hoc ones as the season goes on, enough is enough. Let the game breathe for a bit. In terms of staleness and blowouts or whatever else, let players and coaches have a chance to adapt themselves.

Each and every tactic that the game has ever thought up has been met with a counter-tactic. That's part of the beauty of the game.

The only thing I'd like to see done is not a rule change but a stricter following of a rule. Clamp down on wrestling and twisting. Be less lenient onfield with it and especially be less lenient in the judiciary.

For mine, wrestling has evolved beyond the nasty moves, or was always a bit more than it. As soon as the media has put scrutiny on something like the chicken wing, crusher etc. they've pretty much buggered off. A lot of the stuff that you see now is pretty out of the ordinary in regards to "wrestling moves" and are only done by repeat offenders like Blair and Lima (who should get month + suspensions).

What I reckon the focus on wrestling is now is getting big numbers in tackles, holding players up and twisting them around to face the opposing side etc. to slow down the play the ball, and I'm not sure what laws we have to dissuade it at the moment. All the innovation is in these defensive drills nowdays and with such high interchanges the big forwards can have the defensive lines up and quick and carry it out as though they're fresh. I think if they were more tired you'd seen them get more sloppy with wrestling, resulting in quicker play the balls.

Bulldog Force

Referee
How about f**king golden point off altogether as the fans have been calling for years? Seeing it was NEVER part of our game for the first 95 years... not even in finals football. Even origin should to extra time, NOT golden point.

bor

Juniors
How about a no-rules round, where anything and everything is legal.

Shoulder charges to the head would be common practice in this round.