What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Reds/Perth

Waikato Warrior

Juniors
I have an original Western Reds Jersey with the NSW logo on it that I would like to sell, but don't know where to place it as no one in NZ would be interested in it. It has Cash Converters as the sponsor which are starting to fade/flake, but otherwise in very good condition.

Canard

Immortal
If the Reds were kept on to modern day they be oner of the stronger teams in the competition with a mix of local and import talent. Considering, WA is the 3rd strongest RL state in Australia it would of had it's fair share of juniors if given the chance to develop properly and not have it's tenure cut short and as result stunted growth there for a while.

Perth Red, how strong was the local comp in the 90's and how far off would you think the Reds would have local talent in there team if they survived the SL war hypothetically?

Love your enthusiasm but this is all just pure speculation. There are so many variables that make professional teams.

Being a distant 3rd isn't some sort of guarantee of a strong NRL club. I agree that they shouldn't have been cut, but at what clubs expense?

And Red the BRL wouldn't have survived beyond 1987 against pokie rich Sydney clubs. The Broncos were an inevitably. I can't stand them but it was going to happen regardless.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I have an original Western Reds Jersey with the NSW logo on it that I would like to sell, but don't know where to place it as no one in NZ would be interested in it. It has Cash Converters as the sponsor which are starting to fade/flake, but otherwise in very good condition.

Post it on our Facebook page you might get some interest: search for west coast pirates

Nuke

Staff member
I have the exact same jersey. Released before the comp changed it's name from NSWRL to ARL. I got mine for Christmas 1994. I was 13 then, and it's a wee bit tight these days ... but buggered if I'm going to sell it / get rid of it!

Diesel

Referee
They would still be here had they not sold their soul to super league.

I doubt the ARL could've afforded to keep them a float, going to SL was their only choice. The ARL's decision to make the Reds cover costs of visiting teams meant the club was doomed wore a ball was ever kicked

Perth Red

Post Whore
Few people know but news ltd took over at board level prior to SL decision via a massive sponsorship offer for Sunday Times, club was struggling due to idiocy of ARL decision on travel costs so they took the offer and news took control. After that SL was inevitable. End of the day RL lost most which was a great shame for what the game could have become here. 2014 the NRL has the opportunity to rectify things, let's see if they have the vision to do so.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They would still be here had they not sold their soul to super league.

Well let's look how the other expansion clubs of the time did

Crushers - stayed loyal, gone
Warriors - SL still around
Cowboys - SL still around

So on odds, moving to SL seems a better chance of survival for new clubs of the time.

Loudstrat

Coach
I doubt the ARL could've afforded to keep them a float, going to SL was their only choice. The ARL's decision to make the Reds cover costs of visiting teams meant the club was doomed wore a ball was ever kicked
Lets just forget that only 8 teams from the 20 jumped, or if you like only 5 from the 16 teams of the previous year. Without any one of the clubs, SL would not have gotten off the ground - having to invent 3 clubs for a 10 team comp would not have happened.

The Reds simply has a f*cking terrible board - financially inept after 4 weeks. You cant blame the ARL for their stupidity.

Canard

Immortal
Few people know but news ltd took over at board level prior to SL decision via a massive sponsorship offer for Sunday Times, club was struggling due to idiocy of ARL decision on travel costs so they took the offer and news took control. After that SL was inevitable. End of the day RL lost most which was a great shame for what the game could have become here. 2014 the NRL has the opportunity to rectify things, let's see if they have the vision to do so.

Cowboys were in the same boat, were burdened with huge costs and were virtually dead.

Without that dirty dirty News money we wouldn't exist.

News sucks arse but, and this might be a shock to some, I'm more loyal to my club then I am to boardroom.

beave

Coach
Was about to post the same thing but you beat me to it Canard.

NQ only way to survive was new$, coupled in with the fact the club was formed in the early days by the Tvl Bully and Doug Kingston and with a board that was news aligned...... The rest is history.

I hate news limited but they kept my assclown team alive when they didn't have to, the stories i hear from people involved in the first 4 years of the club have to be heard to be believed, I won't go into detail here,but let's just say amateur hour deluxe. Without them, there would be no NQ which would be a massive shame. Being a league heartland along with that a paper needed a sporting team to write about so the locals would buy their paper was the only real reason for them keeping us but the romantic in me would like to think it was for the good of the game.

Perth will get a team, 2016-2017 I reckon. Go into the next tv deal with either one or 2 new teams to push for more cash with an extra game now rolling in the comp.

POPEYE

Coach
Once Perth does get in you can bet your balls the ARLC will do anything necessary to perpetuate it's existence, just as AFL will never abandon the Swans or Brisbane. There will be no more 'experiments', satellite teams will be given preference once the decision of acceptance comes to fruition.

It would be delusional to think that the drawn out deliberation on expansion will be reversible, which means any newcomer will be a protected species, sardines will feel the squeeze more than ever

flippikat

Bench
Well let's look how the other expansion clubs of the time did

Crushers - stayed loyal, gone
Warriors - SL still around
Cowboys - SL still around

So on odds, moving to SL seems a better chance of survival for new clubs of the time.

Also worth bearing in mind that all 3 Sydney clubs that went to SL are still stand-alone NRL clubs to this day.

I remember reading somewhere that Adelaide was only brought into the SuperLeague competition when they couldn't secure a 4th Sydney club (I think they courted Norths & St George) - if that's true, then it's an interesting "what if" scenario if Norths/Central Coast had signed for the rebel competition.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Cowboys were in the same boat, were burdened with huge costs and were virtually dead.

Without that dirty dirty News money we wouldn't exist.

News sucks arse but, and this might be a shock to some, I'm more loyal to my club then I am to boardroom.

Was about to post the same thing but you beat me to it Canard.

NQ only way to survive was new$, coupled in with the fact the club was formed in the early days by the Tvl Bully and Doug Kingston and with a board that was news aligned...... The rest is history.

The Cowboys weren't the only ones in that boat either, the Raiders, Sharks, Warriors and Panthers were all financially on their knees at the time and without the News money would have struggled to make it into the 21st century let alone much further into it (and that's whether or not the war happened), and the Bulldogs were also in a similar situation (though not quite as dire).

The only one of the SuperLeague 'traitors' that wasn't absolutely desperate for money at the time was the Broncos, which I think shows just how the times had to be (once in a lifetime) perfect for the SL to even get off the ground. Of all the most successful clubs at the time (Broncos, Bulldogs, Dragons, Raiders, Panthers and Sea Eagles) only the Sea Eagles and Dragons didn't jump and the rest, apart from the Broncos, were all very desperate for cash and almost certainly would have gone under without it.

It could also be argued that had the Bears and/or the Dragons jumped over to the SL that they would still be around today, un-merged and still in the NRL. It could also be argued that had the money been on offer to them (which it wasn't to those that don't know) and they'd taken it, that both the Chargers and the Crushers would most likely still be around today also.

It's very interesting to wonder how things could have been different if News could have gotten either or both the Knights and the Bears on board, like they originally planned (which would have removed the need for both the Rams and the Mariners). It's also interesting to note that at the time both the Bears and Knights (and later on the Dragons) were not particularly in dire straits (though that changed by the end of the SL war) and they were the ones that refused News limited, which leads me to believe that if the other clubs weren't up sh!t creek they may have refused the SL also, which means that apart from the Broncos the other 'traitors' were almost certainly only in the SL for self preservation and not because they saw it as the future of RL (or any of the other tag lines that were put out by the SL at the time).

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade
News ltd won the war.

If you look at the ARL clubs of 1997

Balmain - merged

Gold Coast - kicked out as

Illawarra - merged

Manly - merged

Norths - merged

Parramatta - team of west Sydney Fitzgerald influential in negotiations

Souths - refused to merge kicked out

Newcastle - stand alone city

Roosters - Politis influential

Sth Qld Crushers - dissolved

St.George - merged

Wests - merged

Brisbane had a deal that they were to be the only south east Qld franchise for ten years when the peace deal was settled.

Warriors.

Cronulla

Canterbury

Penrith

Nth Qld

Canberra

Brisbane

Western Reds

Adelaide

Hunter

Reds, Adelaide and Hunter were dissolved to form Melbourne Storm

kbw

Bench
Its easy to sit back and say if NEWs had gotten this team or that team they would till be around. Its probably true, but I then question what state the game would be in.

The driving factors that have created the game we currnently have are greed, ignorance and the almighty dollars. I really doubt that expansion is the answer, but if it is it has to be handled in a way so much better than everything else is done. Not to mention CH9 has to be purged from the game.

The two modern elements of the game I see as the two of the biggest issues.
1 - how the number of real footballers has reduced significantly in the NRL. There too many athletes and not enough players that really understand or maybe allowed to understand the game.
2 - the U20s, in my opinion without doubt the worst RL competition there has every been. It needs to be punted.

beave

Coach
I agree with all that and have been against the u20's from the start. Well not so much against the u20's as a whole but moreso this pedestal it has been put on and that if you haven't made first grade standard by the time you finish U20's then you can kiss goodbye your rugby league career. This is just the general feeling I get.

Front rowers don't usually mature until they are 26-27. There needs to be a reserve grade comp or more importance placed on Qcup and JBcup, I'd rather see younger lads after their holden cup stint have to go up against seasoned old timers and learn a thing or 2 over a few year period in reserve grade than just waltz through a few years playing against other kids and then be eyeing off a first grade spot.

Diesel

Referee
U20's if it stays around really needs to be an U23's

From the looks of it reserve grade will be placed higher from this year

Was Cronulla one of the clubs to first jump into bed with SL & were they also close to a financial basket case around mid-90's when their form started to pick up? If so then I wonder if News knew their financial history or just wanted an established Sydney team

I remember the Norths and Dragons decisions wether they would or wouldn't jump ship but I also remember Sydney Roosters being mentioned however in reality like Manly they'd never jump.

flippikat

Bench
The Cowboys weren't the only ones in that boat either, the Raiders, Sharks, Warriors and Panthers were all financially on their knees at the time and without the News money would have struggled to make it into the 21st century let alone much further into it (and that's whether or not the war happened), and the Bulldogs were also in a similar situation (though not quite as dire).

The only one of the SuperLeague 'traitors' that wasn't absolutely desperate for money at the time was the Broncos, which I think shows just how the times had to be (once in a lifetime) perfect for the SL to even get off the ground. Of all the most successful clubs at the time (Broncos, Bulldogs, Dragons, Raiders, Panthers and Sea Eagles) only the Sea Eagles and Dragons didn't jump and the rest, apart from the Broncos, were all very desperate for cash and almost certainly would have gone under without it.

Yeah, many of the 20 clubs in the ARL comp were at best just keeping their head above water financially.. and News Limited used this to sell their vision to clubs (especially to the interstate ones) - a vision that promised increased revenue streams through pay-tv, merchandising, marketing etc which just hadn't been developed by the establishment at that time.

Problem was that they ended up ditching so much tradition that even the best marketing they could buy couldn't sway the fans.

It could also be argued that had the Bears and/or the Dragons jumped over to the SL that they would still be around today, un-merged and still in the NRL. It could also be argued that had the money been on offer to them (which it wasn't to those that don't know) and they'd taken it, that both the Chargers and the Crushers would most likely still be around today also.

It's very interesting to wonder how things could have been different if News could have gotten either or both the Knights and the Bears on board, like they originally planned (which would have removed the need for both the Rams and the Mariners). It's also interesting to note that at the time both the Bears and Knights (and later on the Dragons) were not particularly in dire straits (though that changed by the end of the SL war) and they were the ones that refused News limited, which leads me to believe that if the other clubs weren't up sh!t creek they may have refused the SL also, which means that apart from the Broncos the other 'traitors' were almost certainly only in the SL for self preservation and not because they saw it as the future of RL (or any of the other tag lines that were put out by the SL at the time).

The Mariners were just a bad idea - it's a shame that Superleague didn't just put that team in Melbourne instead - hey they managed to get the Rams together in Adelaide of all places, so how hard would Melbourne have been?

Anyway, interesting to ponder that 2 of the 3 Sydney Superleague teams were clubs with the least history in top grade. If that was different, it may have helped Superleague to a degree.

If the 3 Sydney teams in Superleague had been Norths, St George & Parramatta, it would've had interesting repercussions.

For a kick-off, having a team each from the north, south and west is a decent geographical spread - the fact that there's a bit of tradition in those 3 clubs adds something too. Even the long wait of Norths fans for success.