What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9 to show NRL in HD next year

Generalzod

Immortal
Channel 9 always had the technology to broadcast on HD, they just treated the viewing public like garbage.

flippikat

Bench
It's funny - over here in NZ, we got the technology spot-on (MPEG4 right from the get-go) - and the main channels TVNZ TV1, Channel 2 and TV3 are all HD but the content is lacking, and the major players have been lukewarm about extra FTA digital-only channels.

Still, you never know what could happen after the switchoff - we already have a start-up sports channel (Sommet Sports) that screens a lot of sports that Sky haven't bothered with. They even show all the AFL games live & free-to-air. They're not HD though - no room on the crowded multiplex they share with all the other 'minor' broadcasters & regional channels. :(

Most main centres have 3 multiplex 'sets' - TVNZ, MEdiaworks (TV3) and a 3rd one with all the other broadcasters crammed in.. I think the plan is eventually to have 5 multiplexes - hopefully that means more HD.

Last edited:

jargan83

Coach
Whether this is old news or not it's about time Channel 9 pulled their finger out and screened in HD. Watching some of the games on Gem this year and the picture has been absolute garbage

undertaker

Coach
:lol::lol:

that's bs

they simulcast the Olympics on 9 and GEM

they also did it for the Yawnion World Cup in 2011 http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2011/10/change-of-heart-as-rugby-world-cup-returns-to-gem.html

Not to mention that the Australia/NZ one-off RL test in Newcastle was simulcasted on Ch9 and GEM (mainly because the Australia/NZ RWC semi-final, also simulcasted on Ch9 and GEM, was later that evening).

So yeah, to say that Ch9 never had the technology to do so is complete, utter rubbish. I just simply can't believe it's taken this long for this to happen. Hopefully it will mean also watching the cricket in HD as well, like they Ch9 did with the Ryobi Cup this month (before they revert back to their crappy SD coverage for the Ashes and will only broadcast on GEM if play continues beyond the 6pm news:lol:)

Last edited:

retch

Juniors
Watching the 11.00am Ch 9 News today and the 11.30am update came on and things on the screen went a bit berserk with people on screen who didn't know they were on and test patterns etc > then it flashed up with a test pattern "HD TEST' > they realized they stuffed up and went to an add and then back to the news.

Looked to me like the tech boys were doing a test and it went to air.

If you check on Wikipedia it says that when all the old system is auctioned off the mobile phone companys will get most of that bandwith as it's good for long distance transmission but there will be some given/sold/whatever to the tv stations to upgrade their main stations to HD.

ek999

First Grade
Not to mention that the Australia/NZ one-off RL test in Newcastle was simulcasted on Ch9 and GEM (mainly because the Australia/NZ RWC semi-final, also simulcasted on Ch9 and GEM, was later that evening).

So yeah, to say that Ch9 never had the technology to do so is complete, utter rubbish. I just simply can't believe it's taken this long for this to happen. Hopefully it will mean also watching the cricket in HD as well, like they Ch9 did with the Ryobi Cup this month (before they revert back to their crappy SD coverage for the Ashes and will only broadcast on GEM if play continues beyond the 6pm news:lol:)

Of course they can simulcast matches on GEM but that isn't what they are talking about as far as I can tell. They mean that matches shown on the main 9 channel will be in HD if the viewers TV can support it. How the technology works to broadcast both HD and SD of the same channel depending on if the viewer has a HD or SD tuner I'm not sure, but I assume that's what they are talking about when they said 9 has got the technology right

some11

Referee
If you check on Wikipedia it says that when all the old system is auctioned off the mobile phone companys will get most of that bandwith as it's good for long distance transmission but there will be some given/sold/whatever to the tv stations to upgrade their main stations to HD.

When the re-stacking of the digital spectrum happens TV stations will be able to have all of their channels in HD because MPEG-4 takes up less of the spectrum.

GongPanther

Referee
Personally, I can't tell the difference anyway.

On payTV,I have SD.

During the football,or any other sport, I just simply adjust the contrast and brightness little higher.

The cost of HD on pay TV for me simply isnt worth it for the minute difference that it gives.

Lambretta

First Grade
On payTV,I have SD.

During the football,or any other sport, I just simply adjust the contrast and brightness little higher.

The cost of HD on pay TV for me simply isnt worth it for the minute difference that it gives.

It depends on the TV you have and the broadcasters content

I have a Full HD TV with the HD package from Foxtel
The content on ESPN & some Fox Sports content is miles ahead in quality compared with the content of other channels. They record on higher standards of equipment and broadcast the best quality available. The difference between their broadcasts and standard def is akin to the difference between a Ferrari and a Cherry. There is just no comparison.

I also have a HD TV that is not FULL HD - it's standard High Def, which uses about half the clarity of FULL HD. Watching HD programs on this TV isn't that different from Standard Definition.

If you think Std Def is close to full HD I'd suggest watching on a proper TV or getting your eyes tested.

El Diablo

Post Whore
On payTV,I have SD.

you have posted this bullshit before

remember this crap?

Too much emphasis is placed on HDTV.

If you up your setting on your TV and increase the contrast and brightness a little,you'll find its just as good.

The prices that PAYTV charge is highway robbery and should have been an automatic free upgrade.

Just another way of bloodsucking the public.

biggest load of shit ever posted

Latest posts