What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fastnet Rock has a colt in the Epsom Derby..& Dermott Weld trains it..

Horrie Is God

First Grade
http://http://www.racenet.com.au/mobile/article_breednet.asp?id=100278

Epsom Derby Next for Fastnet Rock Colt

Tara Madgwick

Australia’s champion sire Fastnet Rock is set to have a runner in next month’s Group I Epsom Derby with the Dermot Weld trained Fascinating Rock cementing his credentials by winning the Group III Derrinstown Derby Trial at Leopardstown overnight.

A race that has produced past Epsom Derby winners such as Sinndar, Galileo and High Chaparral, the Derby Trial produced a keen contest with Fascinating Rock awarded the race in the steward’s room after finishing second across the line.

"I don’t want to win any race that way but interference happened and I thought he was the best horse on the day. It was a very messy race and Pat (Smullen) was adamant that the interference cost him the race,” Weld told irishracing.com.

"He is a big, long-striding horse and after they quickened off the home bend he lost his hind-end momentum. Pat did the right thing and gave him a few seconds to find his stride. I’ve been teaching him to settle and switch off. Today was the first time he was really asked to sprint, and it just took him a few strides to react. I’d say it’s pretty definite that he will go to Epsom, and he certainly learned a lot today.”

UK Racing Post offered this assessment - Ebanoran, who passed the post a head in front ofFASCINATING ROCK, was deemed to have interfered with Pat Smullen´s mount and the stewards felt that it was sufficient to reverse the result. It was probably the right call as Fascinating Rock did appear to have all the momentum when the bump occurred close home. Smullen sat at the back of the six runners for the vast duration and was still in rear turning in. He made his move on the wide outside and obviously felt that his horse had the gears to get there. The turn of foot he showed was impressive and that speed will stand him in good stead for Epsom. He was left unchanged at 16-1 with most firms for the Derby and with opposition to Australia thin on the ground, that probably isn´t the worst each-way value in the world. He has come a long way in a very short space of time, similar to Ruler Of The World.

From the first crop of Northern Hemisphere bred Fastnet Rock offspring, Fascinating Rock is a homebred for Newtown Anner Stud and has now won three of four starts.

He the third winner from Miss Polaris, a full sister to stakes-winner Euro Falcon by the Nureyev sire Polar Falcon.

Fastnet Rock has shown some affinity for Nureyev blood and has left seven Group I winners that carry Nureyev somewhere in their distaff pedigree and Fascinating Rock may add to the tally.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Yep stayed up and watched it,promising horse.

He has another one called "Table Rock" which is entered in the Dante Stakes on the 14th May,another Derby lead up race,also entered in a maiden on the same day at Naas,Table Rock ran 2nd to the horse whom Fascinating Rock beat last night

Horrie Is God

First Grade
Yep stayed up and watched it,promising horse.

He has another one called "Table Rock" which is entered in the Dante Stakes on the 14th May,another Derby lead up race,also entered in a maiden on the same day at Naas,Table Rock ran 2nd to the horse whom Fascinating Rock beat last night

If he can get 2 in the Derby it'll be an amazing feat with his 1st crop..:shock:

Now i've just got to win Powerball & i'll be able to afford to send a mare to him..

WaznTheGreat

Referee
He had a filly named 'Palace" run a close 2nd in the fillies guineas trial last night at the same track

WaznTheGreat

Referee
If he can get 2 in the Derby it'll be an amazing feat with his 1st crop..:shock:

Now i've just got to win Powerball & i'll be able to afford to send a mare to him..

He has another one called "Red Rocks Point" who was initially being set for the derby,looks as though he now holds a entry for the group one Coral Eclipse

One start for one win for him

Horrie Is God

First Grade
[/B]

You got dis:cool:

Your future Denman horse will win 8 million on the track:cool:

:lol:

I reckon i'd rather be in EF's boots, having a share in Chivalry..

We want to breed a filly, so if we do, a maiden win will be a good start..

Actually getting to the track on raceday would be good..:cool:

Horrie Is God

First Grade
He has another one called "Red Rocks Point" who was initially being set for the derby,looks as though he now holds a entry for the group one Coral Eclipse

One start for one win for him

He is a freakish sire..

He is listed as Private over there too..he & Galileo..:shock:

WaznTheGreat

Referee
He is a freakish sire..

He is listed as Private over there too..he & Galileo..:shock:

He is one of the greats

Did you see Starspangledbanner sired a winner with his first ever runner in the UK the other day? horse called "Moonraker",holds a few group one entries too

Horrie Is God

First Grade
He is one of the greats

Did you see Starspangledbanner sired a winner with his first ever runner in the UK the other day? horse called "Moonraker",holds a few group one entries too

Yep, Tara wrote about it on Breednet..

Nice to see Rosemount are giving him another crack..

I doubt he'll get a Derby runner..:lol:

So now we've got Redoutes, Fastnet, Exceed & Excel, Helmet, Sepoy, Choisir & Foxwedge, all doing the shuttle over there..

Did i miss any??..

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Yep, Tara wrote about it on Breednet..

Nice to see Rosemount are giving him another crack..

I doubt he'll get a Derby runner..:lol:

So now we've got Redoutes, Fastnet, Exceed & Excel, Helmet, Sepoy, Choisir & Foxwedge, all doing the shuttle over there..

Did i miss any??..

Epaulette is in Ireland

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Knew i'd missed at least one..

Lohnro & Denman go to America so our blood is everywhere nowdays..

Nadeem's winning Gp1's in Dubai on the synthetic..

Here come the Aussies..

Imagine Sebring in Europe,his horses are already running 2400m on the wet

Staying European mares + Sebring +wet tracks in Europe = Run 8000m with ease = Red Rum

hineyrulz

Post Whore

When my Filly wins a couple of Oaks the Caulfield and Melbourne cups I might be able to send her to the great one.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Imagine Sebring in Europe,his horses are already running 2400m on the wet

Staying European mares + Sebring +wet tracks in Europe = Run 8000m with ease = Red Rum
:lol: he and Northern Meteor have had amazing starts.

Watch for Sebring's sons to be hot property pretty soon.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
Australian breeding industry got dis :cool:

:lol:

http://www.racenet.com.au/mobile/article_breednet.asp?id=100295

Starspangled Banner to Cover 50 Mares

Tara Madgwick

Our story highlighting the first winner in the UK over the weekend for fertility troubled former champion sprinter Starspangledbanner was read off the map, so there is obviously still huge audience interest in the doings of this globe-trotting superstar.

The four-time Group I winning son of Choisir was installed at Rosemont Stud last year under the care of Anthony Mithen, who had a share in the horse originally when he first embarked on his stud career.

"I?ve only got praise for Coolmore and the way in which they?ve allowed me to manage the horse from here on in with Rosemont Stud to be the beneficiary of that,? said Anthony Mithen.

"Everyone from John Magnier all the way down has been very supportive and I can?t thank them enough for giving us this opportunity.?

All efforts are being made to keep Starspangledbanner as a viable stallion and after covering 51 mares last year, enough are in foal to ensure he remains at stud.

"He got 24 mares in foal so nearly 50%, which is an improvement on what his figures were when he first started off and we hope over time we can gradually improve on that,? Mithen revealed.

"We?ll keep him at 50 mares which is a neat number to deal with as he is highly managed to make sure every mares gets the best opportunity to go in foal.

"The fee is very reasonable but we keep it private as we are not looking for big numbers, rather for breeders that genuinely want to support the horse and are happy to commit a mare to him to be covered at least twice.

"You have an even money chance of going in foal and when you consider his fee was $44,000 when he first went to stud, it might be a good gamble if he can produce a few winners with a measure of his own ability.?

Starspanglebdanner had 30 live foals from his first Australian crop born in 2012, which will hit racetracks next season and have sold as yearlings this year for up to $280,000.

Latest posts