What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here's how you can help the club...

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Yeah, there's associated attractions - hospital, airport, but games at Kogs and ... whate else is there to warrant, say, $5m development for an investor.

It's a limited area for reasons to stay, that's all - in my opinion.

A bit of wide-sky thinking might come up with stuff, like a NSW peak sports medicine centre but, hey, it's wide-sky.

Al good bud...it would be great if the club was more attractive and conducive to overnight stays.
Shows, conferences, trade shows, restaurants, pool, gym, movies, games room, sports bar, golf tours, deep sea or Botany Bay fishing, scuba diving at Kurnell, La Perouse etc, behind the scene tours of Jubilee Oval, Airport transfers, hospital bus, organised pub crawls !.... I don't know? Anything, please... something :D
The Leagues Club itself is the problem and is stuck in 1987. If I'm not with relo's, we're at the Novotel

Leysin

Juniors
Had to agree totally with jubilee boy re the Blakehurst Motot Inn.i come down from Brisbane once a year to catch a game at Jubilee and we usually book out 3-4 rooms at the Blakehurst Hilton,our most recent stay was 2 weeks ago against the Cowboys,had about 8 of us this year and it is always a fight to see who gets the 3 legged bed each time,we always get a laugh at the place,so after spending lunch at the Taj then on the hill then back to the Taj until midnight the 6 hours or so are just enough,alcohol and catching up with 50 year old plus mates once a year is indeed a real treat,the Blakehurst Hilton is a classy joint.........!!!!!!!!ha ha ha

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Had to agree totally with jubilee boy re the Blakehurst Motot Inn.i come down from Brisbane once a year to catch a game at Jubilee and we usually book out 3-4 rooms at the Blakehurst Hilton,our most recent stay was 2 weeks ago against the Cowboys,had about 8 of us this year and it is always a fight to see who gets the 3 legged bed each time,we always get a laugh at the place,so after spending lunch at the Taj then on the hill then back to the Taj until midnight the 6 hours or so are just enough,alcohol and catching up with 50 year old plus mates once a year is indeed a real treat,the Blakehurst Hilton is a classy joint.........!!!!!!!!ha ha ha

:lol:

I'd probably attempt to walk home to Noosa than stay there again mate !
It makes Fawlty Towers look classy and elegant.
It is that bad... :D

possm

Coach
I hope they've got good grass at Kogarah.

Doust might want to think about making the Taj available to Sydney FC during this period and possibly looking for a long term arrangement sharing the ground and Club facilities.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Their training facilities are based at Macquarie university in North Ryde. They have fairly up to date resources their, not to mention an updated shopping centre and train station right at their doorstep.

I'd think it's also easier to get to the City from North Ryde than from Kogarah.

Unfortunately the Taj nowadays is more akin to a rundown bowling club.

Do they own the land where Sizzler located? If so, they probably need to kick them out and develop the land. Resort style apartments with some rooms let out as a hotel, with restaurants downstairs. Have it connect directly to the leagues club via skywalk, which should be filled with more pokies.

They need to start thinking Big.

gonz

Juniors
Their training facilities are based at Macquarie university in North Ryde. They have fairly up to date resources their, not to mention an updated shopping centre and train station right at their doorstep.

I'd think it's also easier to get to the City from North Ryde than from Kogarah.

Unfortunately the Taj nowadays is more akin to a rundown bowling club.

Do they own the land where Sizzler located? If so, they probably need to kick them out and develop the land. Resort style apartments with some rooms let out as a hotel, with restaurants downstairs. Have it connect directly to the leagues club via skywalk, which should be filled with more pokies.

They need to start thinking Big.

Spot on but have you ever seen this board think big?

bottle

Coach
Sizzler has a lease in place.
Would cost the club a motza to try and terninate it.

Sizzler has a lease in place.
Would cost the club a motza to try and terninate it.

It's fairly standard practice for leases to contain demolition clauses, which generally require 6 months notice. Doubt our management has the foresight to include such provisions.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I have a couple of questions regrading how the voting of board members works. Sorry if these are basic, tedious questions, but have no idea how all this works......

How does the voting work?

How often?

I assume you must be in attendance? The old 'raise your hand' routine.

Do people nominate themselves to take over another person's position?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I have a couple of questions regrading how the voting of board members works. Sorry if these are basic, tedious questions, but have no idea how all this works......

How does the voting work?

How often?

I assume you must be in attendance? The old 'raise your hand' routine.

Do people nominate themselves to take over another person's position?
Good questions.

The thread that goes into some detail is here. The Democracy of St George link: http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=436169

But my understanding... to summarise:
1. Seats on the St George Leagues Club board are voted on every March, ie once every year.
2. Not every seat is 'up for grabs', just those that are at the end of their term.
3. The norm seems to be three seats every March.
4. The elections run from Monday to Thursday in the nominated week.
5. To vote, you must do so on Club premises. You can't vote absentee, by post or by proxy.
6. And to repeat, an amendment to the Club Constitution took place in 2011 where you are required to be a FULL member for 3 consecutive years. If you join now, you can vote in March 2018. BE SURE TO TAKE THE FULL MEMBERSHIP $65 (5 YEARS). DON'T TAKE THE 'CHEAPER' ASSOCIATE MEMBERSHIP, ASSOCIATE MEMBERS CANNOT VOTE.

To join or renew:

1. Go to the Club in Kogarah.

2. Go to http://www.stgeorgeleagues.com.au/images/MembershipApplication13.pdf

StGLC-membership_600x315.jpg

The Club requires photo ID when making application - eg Driver's License. You can make application by mail, but will need to include a scanned and printed photo ID.

Mailing:
St George Leagues Club
124 Princes Highway
Kogarah NSW 2217

FundyDragon

Bench
Is there any way we can help by taking out steelers club membership? Only $3 for 3 years, there seems to be one level of membership and there is no information regarding waiting time to vote that I could find on the website. Can any members confirm if there is only one level of membership with full voting rights.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Please look into it. Become a full member of the Steelers Leagues Club and ask for a copy of the Constitution. Just make sure that the membership you pay for includes voting rights.

I focussed on St George Leagues for a number of reasons, including that it holds a larger share of the JV than the Steelers. The view is that casting your vote at St George will potentially have the greater impact.

TruSaint

Referee
Its 3 bucks for 3 years until 31-1-15.

However, I have searched but cannot find what rights it gives you other than:

Membership Benefits
• Access to members only promotions
• Email or SMS about upcoming promotions- opt in on our home page
• Express entry after Dragon's games
• Special members offers from time to time
• Pay bills by using your members points (excludes credit bills)
• 10% discount at the bar
• Earn extra discounts and offers via our "Players Rewards" program

FundyDragon

Bench
Its 3 bucks for 3 years until 31-1-15.

However, I have searched but cannot find what rights it gives you other than:

Membership Benefits
? Access to members only promotions
? Email or SMS about upcoming promotions- opt in on our home page
? Express entry after Dragon's games
? Special members offers from time to time
? Pay bills by using your members points (excludes credit bills)
? 10% discount at the bar
? Earn extra discounts and offers via our "Players Rewards" program

I'll join anyway, my wife will also. I always go down for pre game drinks and throw a few dollars in the Pokkies so I might as well be a member and who knows my voting contribution may have a positive affect. Problem is I don't know any of the officials I would be voting for. I guess a little research would be needed.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Doesn't sound like you have voting rights. My guess is that it is similar to the St George Leagues associate membership.

mickeylane

Bench
It's fairly standard practice for leases to contain demolition clauses, which generally require 6 months notice. Doubt our management has the foresight to include such provisions.
Sizzler won't go as it's the most profitable sizzler franchise left in the country. Not sure if anyone knows this but the Chinese restaurant in the leagues club is patronised by a lot of Asians who then go off to gamble to the tune of delivering the club $3.5 M profit last year .. I don't know how the club ended up getting a $2M loan from the NRL but we are not financially bad off as people think.

Last edited:

Latest posts