What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Second Brisbane Club

broncos2010

Juniors
I believe if there ever is a second Brisbane club like the Brisbane Bombers bid that vast majority of broncos supporters and members will stay on board of this great club.

I believe that the broncos fans and qlders in general are very loyal and will not jump ship like some other fans from other clubs in the NRL.

Only thing it could hurt the broncos wise is the broncos player talent pool in the Brisbane are and qld in general that is about it, but we will still be the biggest club in the NRL.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

Charlie124

First Grade
It'll be more successful and have a greater following than the soulless Titans at least. Start with a QLDer coach and Qld marquee players.

maple_69

Bench
Mods you might want to check this out. The NRL link on the front page of the forum is linking me to the Broncos forum. All I can find in here are the ramblings of a mad man.

POPEYE

Coach
More like a third Brisbane club, there is another club that drains players and it has two feeder teams in Qld . . . the best league players may come from north of the border but the quantity isn't there

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

i think you need to stop starting threads every time you have a brain fart..

th_brain_fart.gif

insert.pause

First Grade
Smith is pragmatic, atm the game is underleveraging se qld, Suncorp should have a game every week and a second team out of ipswich/corridor gives them that, it also would give better timeslots for families to get to games at suncorp. Im a Broncos supporter and if anything the club would thrive with the competition. Smith would recognise the game is losing money each broncos away game, not to mention a better chance to get a brisbane team in finals instead of the vacuum once the Broncos are out of contention.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
More like a third Brisbane club, there is another club that drains players and it has two feeder teams in Qld . . . the best league players may come from north of the border but the quantity isn't there

According to you no one owns juniors so therefore it shouldn't matter where you plonk a club.

TheFrog

Coach
The Broncos know that having the entire city of Brisbane to themselves affords them a huge advantage over every other NRL club. That's why they didn't support the Crushers and that's why they will never willingly share Brisbane with another club.

I'm not at all familiar with Brisbane's suburbs but Ipswich is a pretty big place and far enough out of town to have its own identity. Whether there's anyone with the werewithall to make an NRL club happen is another matter. I don't think you'll see any new clubs in the NRL for quite some years yet, in any case.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Would be interesting to see how the Bronco's treated a new team in Brisbane.

They death rode the Crusher's when they were in. I know this first hand.

Hopefully their management now understand that there is enough room in the sandpit for 2 teams to play with the toys in Brisbane.

I'd love to see another Brisbane team and sowould alot of people in Brisbane. A LOT cannot stand the Bronco's.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I believe if there ever is a second Brisbane club like the Brisbane Bombers bid that vast majority of broncos supporters and members will stay on board of this great club.

I believe that the broncos fans and qlders in general are very loyal and will not jump ship like some other fans from other clubs in the NRL.

Only thing it could hurt the broncos wise is the broncos player talent pool in the Brisbane are and qld in general that is about it, but we will still be the biggest club in the NRL.

I think you need to join us on the expansion forum :D

some11

Referee
I'd love to see another Brisbane team and sowould alot of people in Brisbane. A LOT cannot stand the Bronco's.

Yes but a lot are already supporters of other clubs (mainly Storm, Warriors, Dragons & Bulldogs) so after the first year of bandwagon support they would need success quickly or end up falling away.

When they come in eventually they will need a gun coach and gun players.. just like the Broncos needed. Cheering for them just because people dislike the Broncos will lose its novelty if they suck.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Yes but a lot are already supporters of other clubs (mainly Storm, Warriors, Dragons & Bulldogs) so after the first year of bandwagon support they would need success quickly or end up falling away.

When they come in eventually they will need a gun coach and gun players.. just like the Broncos needed. Cheering for them just because people dislike the Broncos will lose its novelty if they suck.

Agreed.

But there are also a lot of people like me who support other teams that would pay money to go and watch one or two games a year when there is a decent game on involving the second team that doesn't involve my own team.

I refuse to go and watch a Bronco's game unless they are playing Manly as I do not want to put once cent into that scum club unless its to watch my team.

Another team will not have that hatred for them and so will already have a foot in the door to getting neutral fans along.

But agree, they will need to pull out the big guns early to garner solid support.

oikee

Juniors
The NRL are sitting on a Goldmine in Brisbane, the thing that clouds them is the Sydney bubble.
15 massive Brisbane derbies could be added to the game each year. Move the Titans to Logan, league heartland, stop the AFL from syphoning Logan's funds , and bring in the bombers and allow up to 15 Queensland derbies all playing out of Suncorp.

Then the game will be saying Gold Coast who?
This is a holiday city, not a footy city. Time someone woke up.
Logan is only 50 miles up the road, but the support is here, in Logan, not on the coast. the coast is a feeder club city, nothing more.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Broncos are under achieving. If one club can't perform as it should will two or will they weaken the already under performing club? The TV value will see a second Brisbane team but time will tell if it makes broncos weaker and the new club struggling like Titans.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I wasn't certain on where I should post this but this thread works.

TITANS FALL, THEY GO TO BRISBANE

YOU read it here first: Gold Coast Titans will be relocated a short drive north to become the competition’s second Brisbane team should the NRL have to rescue them.

The Titans have been on thin ice for the past five years and the latest word suggests at least one owner is not prepared to lose any more money.

Should the Titans have to ask the NRL for help, Dave Smith will insist on the board being controlled by independent directors, like the Tigers and Knights.

That would put the Titans at Smith’s mercy, and his top expansion priority is a second Brisbane team.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/sport-confidential-parramattas-toxic-boardroom-has-poisoned-another-great-with-eric-grothe-boycotting-the-clubs-presentation-dinner/story-fni3fh9n-1227063297766

At the end of the day it's just media speculation, but if it did come to pass it'd be a bad move on many levels.

some11

Referee
Bullshit.

If things ever got that bad they'd lose their license altogether and one of the other established bids would be granted theirs.

In this day and age you can't just move a team and expect people to buy into it, it'd be like re-labeling Marmite as Vegemite.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lol yeh qland govt is going to be happy to see its stadium left to grow weeds, titans still have bigger crowds than many NRL clubs fpdespite avg on field displays and woeful off field management. No reason they can't draw 18-20k crowds, not to mention no way in the world the NRL is going to give the suns a free reign. More likely to move wests to Perth than titans to suncorp

The Great Dane

First Grade
Bullshit.

If things ever got that bad they'd lose their license altogether and one of the other established bids would be granted theirs.

In this day and age you can't just move a team and expect people to buy into it, it'd be like re-labeling Marmite as Vegemite.

Why not?

I think that moving the Titans would be a massive PR and strategic mistake, but playing devils advocate for a moment lets imagine that the Titans decided to rebrand and move to the Western Corridor, South Brisbane, Logan, Ipswich or wherever for a fresh start free of the toxic influences that hindered them on the GC.

Why wouldn't the Ipswich Lightning (named after the new fighter jets the government is wasting money on, but any relevant jets could be used instead) be successful simply because in a past life they were the GC Titans?

If done properly relocation works, sports teams here and abroad have proven that time and time again no matter how much some people want to deny it.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Lol yeh qland govt is going to be happy to see its stadium left to grow weeds, titans still have bigger crowds than many NRL clubs fpdespite avg on field displays and woeful off field management. No reason they can't draw 18-20k crowds, not to mention no way in the world the NRL is going to give the suns a free reign. More likely to move wests to Perth than titans to suncorp

Agreed it would be insanity to move them now, they've just hit a rough patch (and being a Raiders fan I know what that feels like at the moment).