What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here's how you can help the club...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Next AGM is on 29th March.

For those that want to sign up, please do so now otherwise your voting rights will be put back for another year.

See previous posts for the 'how to do it' stuff.

Cheers.

Damo!

Juniors
Next AGM is on 29th March.

For those that want to sign up, please do so now otherwise your voting rights will be put back for another year.

See previous posts for the 'how to do it' stuff.

Cheers.

How do you get the agenda / how to vote stuff for this? I think my contact details are out of date.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I just got a letter saying the AGM was on. One of us will have to contact the Club to get the Agenda.

I'm curious too. And there was no mention of any restriction on who can vote, ie no mention of the 3 year membership requirement.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I'm going to St George Leagues tomorrow. Last chance I'll get to sign up before the 29th.

Just worried that it won't be counted as the date I hand it in, but the date they finalise it. If that happened after the 29th, I'd have to wait another year to vote at the AGM.

Here's hoping.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Dean, they should give you the membership card over the counter, so the date of application is the start. I understand it is checked later but in the vast majority of cases it is goes through.

Just make sure you get the FULL membership, otherwise you won't be able to vote. They have been known to 'advise' people to take the cheaper Associate membership, but ignore that and insist on taking the FULL membership.

The AGM

On the subject of the AGM, I have received the following information:

1. The AGM will be held at St George Leagues Club on Sunday 29th March at 10:00 AM.

2. We cannot attend unless we have 3 years continual membership.

3. We cannot vote unless we have 3 years continual membership.

On points 2 and 3:
Unfortunately I still have one more year to go because I let the LC membership lapse for one year, the many years of membership prior to that means nothing. That said, I did receive a letter in the mail informing me of the meeting. But it was light on details, ie no mention of the above restrictions. If I flew down to Sydney based purely on the contents of the letter, I would have been turned away at the door.

4. I have been told that no notices of motion have been received.

5. See Constitional amendment below:

VOTES OF MEMBERS
40. Every ordinary member and honorary life member eligible to vote shall have one vote both on a show of hands and on the taking of a poll
41. Ordinary members and honorary life members shall be deemed to be full members of the Club for the purposes of the Registered Clubs Act 1976 and shall be the only members entitled to take part in the management of the Club and to attend and vote at any meeting of the Club.
42. No member shall be entitled to attend or vote at any meeting of the club, to vote at the election of the Board of Directors, to be nominated for or elected to and hold office on the Board of Directors unless that person has:
(i) Been a financial member of the Club for a continuous period of three years at the date of the meeting or the date of voting for the election of the Board of Directors or the date of the nomination to the Board of Directors as the case may be; and
(ii) the annual subscription and/or any other fee or charge then due and payable by such member to the club shall have been paid.
43. No vote may be given by proxy.

Last edited:

Capital_Dragon

Juniors
I'm going to St George Leagues tomorrow. Last chance I'll get to sign up before the 29th.

Just worried that it won't be counted as the date I hand it in, but the date they finalise it. If that happened after the 29th, I'd have to wait another year to vote at the AGM.

Here's hoping.

My 5 year associate membership expires at the end of April (kicking myself I fell for the you only need associate membership) so I sent in an application for full membership via e-mail on Monday this week. Received a call within the hour from someone asking for payment details and got my membership card yesterday in the mail. So it looks like they process them fairly quickly.

Now I just have to wait 3 years to be able to vote ...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Btw, is there anyone in Sydney with 3+ years continual membership? It would be great if you could get along to the AGM on Sunday morning.

The Voting Rights amendment to the Constitution was passed because no one in the supporter base seemed to know it was happening.

Benny

First Grade
Btw, is there anyone in Sydney with 3+ years continual membership? It would be great if you could get along to the AGM on Sunday morning.

The Voting Rights amendment to the Constitution was passed because no one in the supporter base seemed to know it was happening.

Willow,

I've been a member since turning 18 in 2000 but received no correspondence about the AGM? Does this mean they've done the sneaky on me giving me the no voting rights membership back when I last renewed in 2010?

Will change that when renew this year if so as I've definately voted in the past with R2K.

Will change that to ensure full membership when renew this year.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow,

I've been a member since turning 18 in 2000 but received no correspondence about the AGM? Does this mean they've done the sneaky on me giving me the no voting rights membership back when I last renewed in 2010?

Will change that when renew this year if so as I've definately voted in the past with R2K.

Will change that to ensure full membership when renew this year.
You would have got a card when you renewed. Have a look and see if it says Associate membership. If it's not clear then maybe a quick phone call or drop into the reception will answer the question.

If you are full member, and did not receive any correspondence about the AGM, then you are entitled to ask why.

FTR, I've never seen the staff 'do the dirty'. They have simply 'advised' that you take the cheaper Associate membership. I know, it's weird. It's like McDonalds offering a cheaper meal. We can only save the Club from themselves by insisting we pay for full membership.

RedVee

First Grade
Willow, as there are no motions and no one opposing a standing director I think it may well be pretty much a non event this year.
As such, my official answer of "I can't make it" stands. However, I am trying to change things around a bit and will get there if I can. I'll post something if I do make it.

RedVee

First Grade
Ok, I made it.

A very poor, very sad, turnout of members to our AGM - I reckon there were about 25 members in attendance. All done by 10:25. Three Steelers reps were in attendance, Bobby Steeler & 2 others. I am 53 and I felt quite young in that room, probably 2 or 3 members that would have been younger than me.

As I thought as there were no notices of motions sent to the club, there were no items from the floor that could be voted on.

Message was things are still tight, still very competitive, but we have improved performance over 2013. I believe Danny R suggested that was the best financial performance for 7 years.
Strong focus on cost containment and invisible improvements that will deliver efficiencies into the future. Examples being, new telephony to replace dated system; a power management system (can't recall the name but Brian J did say) to help manage and reduce our power usage and bills. No bank debt, money in the bank ie the bank owes us, not the other way around.

Good part was the availability of the Club officials after the meeting to the members was (again) excellent.

I spoke to, or listened to, Brian Johnston, Danny Robinson briefly, and Craig Young and Peter Black (but not on Club matters).

They believe they have the right skills on the Board, and they take information in from outside frequently where needed.

Danny R says they often review the site and what options there are for development. Interestingly, the SW corner car park is not considered viable for development as it is the lowest point of our land at only '6-8 ft above sea level' and with soil issues. Still it sounded like the biggest issue would be the shadows on the neighbours.
Interesting - Sizzler lease/sale document has a clause that they can only sell to the Leagues Club.

I am in two minds, they seem very confident in their ability to take us forward. I am hoping their confidence is well placed. Brian and Danny both seem well across the club and it's situation.

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Excellent report RedVee. Many thanks.

Poor turnout as you say, but some good news at least. The money in the bank thing comes as no surprise, I was never sold on the 'club is broke' story.

Benny

First Grade
Just got my membership renewal - 5 year Ordinary Membership for $65...Willow just wanted to check this is the one that keeps my voting rights (don't want to be duped).

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Just got my membership renewal - 5 year Ordinary Membership for $65...Willow just wanted to check this is the one that keeps my voting rights (don't want to be duped).
Hi Benny, as long as you didn't let it lapse it's no problem. The 3+ years refers to continuous membership.

Latest posts