What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Bash League 2015/16

undertaker

Coach
Needs to be said, the crowd of 47672 was VERY disappointing.

I understand the MCG is closeby to Rod Laver Arena where the tennis is, but for a final on a sunny day, the Stars should've at least half-filled the stadium, let alone got closer to 60k. Surely with Chairman Eddie boasting about the 75 odd so thousand members that Collingwood has during the AFL season, he could've at least tried to market the game to them and get some of them to the cricket.

The fact that the Adelaide semi-final (in a smaller capacity) outdrew the final is a joke. Seems like the Stars weren't able to maintain the hype after that 80k Melbourne derby match. Kudos to the Adelaide fans, they have regularly been hitting 40k+ since their stadium renovation, and Perth that have sold-out their home matches. I can see Perth at least doubling their home crowds (and a strong push for a 2nd Perth franchise) when they move to Burswood in 2018

Last edited:

_snafu_

Immortal

I understand the MCG is closeby to Rod Laver Arena where the tennis is, but for a final on a sunny day, the Stars should've at least half-filled the stadium, let alone got closer to 60k. Surely with Chairman Eddie boasting about the 75 odd so thousand members that Collingwood has during the AFL season, he could've at least tried to market the game to them and get some of them to the cricket.

The fact that the Adelaide semi-final (in a smaller capacity) outdrew the final is a joke. Seems like the Stars weren't able to maintain the hype after that 80k Melbourne derby match. Kudos to the Adelaide fans, they have regularly been hitting 40k+ since their stadium renovation, and Perth that have sold-out their home matches. I can see Perth at least doubling their home crowds (and a strong push for a 2nd Perth franchise) when they move to Burswood in 2018

Sporting capital of the world.

no name

Coach

It was touted as 60 in the lead up.
Maybe the Melbournites knew the Thunder were going to win.
Or maybe Eddie is such a f**kwit that most of them go for the Renegades.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Well done to the mighty mighty Tunder!!

Always good to see the Victorians choke, 5 BBL's and no wins lol.

Lastly Oozie can't do anymore to get a ODI spot.

I know a lot of traditionalist dont like the BBL but this form of cricket is better than nothing on the tv at night during summer, hopefully next season CA can work the scheduling better so that the rep players can boost the competition to another level.

PARRA_FAN

Coach

Yeah I was little surprised at that crowd figure. I knew it wasn't going to outdraw the 80,000 for the Melbourne derby, but I kept hearing it would get to around 60-70 k.

Still was happy for the Thunder to silence the crowd.

As a proud NSWelshman, 5 BBL finals, 2 Sydney teams winning, 0 Victorian teams winning. :D

Also considering how Perth has been the most consistent team in the BBL history, should they host a final at the new ground, there's no doubt they get a huge crowd for it.

ram raid

Bench
That was pretty good of KP to walk like that. I don't think the umpire was going to off him. He did a Gilchrist.

Last edited:
I've taped the final twice on the T BOX.

Last night I missed the final over!

Today, the start was 1/2 hour late or so, so I've missed the final 5 overs.

Grrr.

undertaker

Coach
Or maybe Eddie is such a f**kwit that most of them go for the Renegades.

:lol:

Well done to the mighty mighty Tunder!!

Always good to see the Victorians choke, 5 BBL's and no wins lol.

:lol:

hopefully next season CA can work the scheduling better so that the rep players can boost the competition to another level.

Rules definitely need to be changed on that. Situations such as what happened to Khawaja when he was selected in the ODI squad, yet played in neither ODI but couldn't play in the Big Bash game.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Yeah I couldn't work that out cause I think Joel Paris was allowed to play by Khawaja wasn't. At least he eventually played the semi final and final, and basically won both games for them.

Wouldve been interesting to see how the Stars would've gone had Faulkner and Maxwell played.

How about the Strikers losing Richardson for the semi because of being in the squad for the 5th ODI, but then he didn't play anyway...

undertaker

Coach
How about the Strikers losing Richardson for the semi because of being in the squad for the 5th ODI, but then he didn't play anyway...

Yeah I couldn't work that out cause I think Joel Paris was allowed to play by Khawaja wasn't. At least he eventually played the semi final and final, and basically won both games for them.

Wouldve been interesting to see how the Stars would've gone had Faulkner and Maxwell played.

A rule that needs to be introduced regarding this is the following. My rule would be:

If you are playing in the Big Bash and are selected in the Australian squad (regardless of whether you are an established international player such as Steve Smith/David Warner OR you are someone like Paris/Richardson who unexpectedly or suddenly gets called into the squad), you MUST be notified in advance that you are going to be selected in the Australian XI in order for you to be ruled ineligible for Big Bash matches which occur the day BEFORE international matches. Obviously, if you were in the Australian management, you want your players to be fresh and without any niggles or injuries from playing a match the day before (less than 24hrs earlier), hence why I said BEFORE and not after an international. For BBL matches after internationals, it should have no bearing (as you will see below with Hastings/Faulkner situation). So, say hypothetically you get called into the Australian squad on Sunday, your teams Big Bash match is on Tuesday night and ODI on Wednesday. You must be told on Tuesday morning (at the latest) as to whether or not you will be playing in the ODI and if not, you are allowed to be released from the squad to play in the BBL that night

So, how that would apply to the Khawaja situation with him being selected in the squad for the Friday and Sunday ODIs and the Thunder's Big Bash game on the Saturday would be, if he was not selected for the Sunday ODI, he would be eligible to play in the Saturday Big Bash match. If he was not selected for the Friday ODI, he should be notified by Saturday morning at the latest as to whether he would be playing on Sunday. If not, again, he would be eligible to go fly back and play for the Thunder later that evening. As for Hastings and Faulkner: both should've been eligible for selection in the BBL final after Saturday's ODI. I cannot see why they couldn't be selected if they pulled up well after Saturdays' ODI and were fit to play on the Sunday night (with the first T20 international not being until Tuesday night).

A rule like this MUST be firmly in place from next season. With situations like Khawaja, its completely unfair for both Khawaja (he couldn't play any cricket, and it also is a restraint of trade from CA on Khawaja) or the BBL franchise (which should've been allowed to select him if they knew he wasn't going to be selected in the Australian XI on Sunday). With Kane Richardson, same scenario.

Last edited:

jargan83

Coach
Well done Thunder, listened to the game on ABC Radio down on the south coast.

Great win made better by the fact it was against the Stars at the MCG.

TheParraboy

Staff member
A rule that needs to be introduced regarding this is the following. My rule would be:

If you are playing in the Big Bash and are selected in the Australian squad (regardless of whether you are an established international player such as Steve Smith/David Warner OR you are someone like Paris/Richardson who unexpectedly or suddenly gets called into the squad), you MUST be notified in advance that you are going to be selected in the Australian XI in order for you to be ruled ineligible for Big Bash matches which occur the day BEFORE international matches. Obviously, if you were in the Australian management, you want your players to be fresh and without any niggles or injuries from playing a match the day before (less than 24hrs earlier), hence why I said BEFORE and not after an international. For BBL matches after internationals, it should have no bearing (as you will see below with Hastings/Faulkner situation). So, say hypothetically you get called into the Australian squad on Sunday, your teams Big Bash match is on Tuesday night and ODI on Wednesday. You must be told on Tuesday morning (at the latest) as to whether or not you will be playing in the ODI and if not, you are allowed to be released from the squad to play in the BBL that night

So, how that would apply to the Khawaja situation with him being selected in the squad for the Friday and Sunday ODIs and the Thunder's Big Bash game on the Saturday would be, if he was not selected for the Sunday ODI, he would be eligible to play in the Saturday Big Bash match. If he was not selected for the Friday ODI, he should be notified by Saturday morning at the latest as to whether he would be playing on Sunday. If not, again, he would be eligible to go fly back and play for the Thunder later that evening. As for Hastings and Faulkner: both should've been eligible for selection in the BBL final after Saturday's ODI. I cannot see why they couldn't be selected if they pulled up well after Saturdays' ODI and were fit to play on the Sunday night (with the first T20 international not being until Tuesday night).

A rule like this MUST be firmly in place from next season. With situations like Khawaja, its completely unfair for both Khawaja (he couldn't play any cricket, and it also is a restraint of trade from CA on Khawaja) or the BBL franchise (which should've been allowed to select him if they knew he wasn't going to be selected in the Australian XI on Sunday). With Kane Richardson, same scenario.

Quick question

What happens if an hour or so before a ODI someone pulls up ill or sprains an ankle in the warm up? Do they have a local grade cricketer on standby to be in the XI?

undertaker

Coach
Quick question

What happens if an hour or so before a ODI someone pulls up ill or sprains an ankle in the warm up? Do they have a local grade cricketer on standby to be in the XI?

ODI squads for tournaments these days are generally 14-15 players (at least 13 at the ground on game day, to allow for substitute fielders in the case of onfield injuries during the game), so in a situation where the ODI squad had a few players from the two BBL sides playing in a match the day before the ODI, then another three players should be added to the squad to cover the possibility that those BBL players wouldn't be selected in the ODI and would be released to play for their BBL sides.

This also covers for the situation regarding injury, as you said, where someone gets injured shortly before the start of play. As you know, unless consent from the opposition captain, ICC rule is that no changes can be made to the team 1 hour before scheduled play. So, in my scenario, say an ODI is on Sunday and BBL match the (Saturday) night before. Starting XI finalised on Saturday morning and the remaining 3-4 players in the initial squad just happen to be players in both BBL squads of the BBL match to be played later that night. Those 3-4 players are all released from the ODI squad to fly back and play in the BBL match later that night, and another 3 players - either from BBL sides that aren't playing OR from state cricket in general who are vying for ODI selection - are added to the squad to replace them either as standbys in case injury to someone named in the starting XI occurs hours before play (as you said), OR if injuries occur during the game and substitute fielders are required.

How does that sound?

Last edited:

Latest posts