What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

Suitman

Post Whore
Hi.

It's more than certain that the rebuilding of Parramatta (Pirtek) Stadium is going ahead, which is fantastic news.
I thought that this issue deserves its own thread, where all discussion, proposed plans, updates and progress can be discussed.
There's already some good discussion happening here.......

http://www.westsydneyfootball.com/topic/6304-parramatta-stadium-new-stadium-news/page-56

Some designs already thrown up have been passed on to Price Waterhouse Coopers, who have been holding talks with related fan groups with regards to what they want to be incorporated into the new stadium.

The main beef at the moment appears to be the proposed capacity. The State Govt is adamant that the capacity will be capped at 30000. When you take into account they want about 2400 corporate seats, that only gives us an upgrade of about 7000 seats, for what is projected to be a $300 million project. This is not only short sighted, but will seriously inhibit the growth of both the Eels and Wanderers in time to come.

Both the Eels fans and Wanderers fans are pushing for a 35000 seat capacity. I hope our voices will be heard and common sense will prevail. We don't want to be taking bigger games to ANZ when our own home ground could suffice. The Eels are already testing capacity of Pirtek, as are the Wanderers.

An increase capacity will also allow for larger membership bases, improving revenue for both clubs. The Eels proposed $100 million development of the car park site is also a boost to income for the club and a regeneration of the area as a whole.
The North Parramatta precinct that has been re-zoned (the area north of the club including the Marsden Hospital site) will also be a massive boost to the area, with massive residential redevelopment.

This is a huge opportunity for the Eels and Wanderers. A "once in a generation" chance to get this stadium right. All public input is important and imperative to ensure this capital expenditure is wisely spent, and no stone should be left unturned to procure our future. Fans will play a big part in this during the design process.

Something like these following pictures would be brilliant. We could be the envy of the league.

12604691_10154029557597518_4165536079897003181_o.jpg

10557654_10154029557587518_2514161630860059054_o.jpg

12604719_10154029557592518_6958399088988408467_o.jpg

(Dismiss the safe standing pics of the north end. It ain't going to happen. A single level huge seated tier though might happen.)

Suity

PARRA_FAN

Coach
First pic is pretty good.

Id prefer it to look similar to AAMI Park. Capacity of 35,000 sounds good and all seated.

Hopefully that means no more playing home matches at ANZ and a better sound system.

Gronk

Staff member
Has the route for the new light rail been confirmed yet ? As at December it hadn't.

It's crucial that it includes the Stadium.

Suitman

Post Whore
Has the route for the new light rail been confirmed yet ? As at December it hadn't.

It's crucial that it includes the Stadium.

The first details did NOT include a link past Pirtek.
It was to Homebush/Strathfield.
Future planning may provide otherwise.

Suity

Gronk

Staff member
The first details did NOT include a link past Pirtek.
It was to Homebush/Strathfield.
Future planning may provide otherwise.

Suity

Don't get the logic of these planners.

Green light Badgery's Creek without a rail link.

Green light Parra Stadium, Power House Museum relocation and omit the light rail ?

:crazy:

Gronk

Staff member
Piece of cake building new stadiums. Just ask Lend Lease & Multiplex....

Delboy

First Grade
Trouble is, half the seats will have to face away from the field. The one time I looked on the weekend when there was break in the 20/20, there they were jumping up and down and facing the back of the stand

My wife said , how dumb the cricket is better than watching these idiots, I agreed and didn't bother again

Suitman

Post Whore
Trouble is, half the seats will have to face away from the field. The one time I looked on the weekend when there was break in the 20/20, there they were jumping up and down and facing the back of the stand

My wife said , how dumb the cricket is better than watching these idiots, I agreed and didn't bother again

That's helpful.

Delboy

First Grade
Back on subject, agree that he stadium build should be for 35,000. I will leave that to Suity for cost comparison but would assume the footprint wouldn't need to too different and the cost would be reasonably similar.

I think the fact that the Harbour Bridge was built significantly larger than the immediate need shows a lot more foresight than current thinking

Suitman

Post Whore
Back on subject, agree that he stadium build should be for 35,000. I will leave that to Suity for cost comparison but would assume the footprint wouldn't need to too different and the cost would be reasonably similar.

I think the fact that the Harbour Bridge was built significantly larger than the immediate need shows a lot more foresight than current thinking

You make some good points there Delboy.
Firstly, Don't leave it to me for cost comparison. I have no idea in that department. However, the PWC representatives stated that it was significantly more expensive to add another 5000 more seats to the currently planned 30000. That could just be govt spin, and I'm guessing there is a lot of politics going on here between stadiums - particularly between ANZ and Allianz. Don't forget, the SCG Trust has significant power within political circles. They will not want stadium opposition.
This is where fans need to put pressure on the govt to provide the west with the stadium it deserves.

The Harbour Bridge building is a great analogy.
Built to a size ahead of its time.
I'd like to think that this govt will be equally progressive and do the same with this stadium.
30000 capacity is unbelievably short sited.
35000 capacity is almost getting there. It is the best we can hope for at this stage.

As for the footprint, it is clear that the stadium will require greater space, hence the talk about removing and relocating the pools.

Suity

hineyrulz

Post Whore
35k is a no brainer, two sides which in the not to faraway conceivable future grow quite quickly with some success in one of the fastest growing areas in the country.

But this is a government build we are probably lucky to get any stadium let alone a 30k grand spanking new one.

Gronk

Staff member
35k is a no brainer, two sides which in the not to faraway conceivable future grow quite quickly with some success in one of the fastest growing areas in the country.

But this is a government build we are probably lucky to get any stadium let alone a 30k grand spanking new one.

Clearly the short term economic benefit of building a 4 lane freeway outweigh the costs down the track when it needs to be extended to 6 lanes ? They have been doing it that way for ever. Perhaps the economists amongst us can explain why it makes political / economic sense vs common sense ?

So assuming that they continue with this trend, you'll get your stadium and it will be constructed just big enough.