What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yellow cards for deliberate penalties.

Noa

First Grade
been saying it for a few years now, bring in the power-play for consistent penalties.

Maybe for every 5th penalty that player goes of for an amout of time, or take away an inter-change

POPEYE

Coach
Again, I don't know what the f**king drama is . . . if referees delay giving penalties like they sometimes do in England until the set is finished there is no point in trying to give away a penalty deliberately

If a player is dumb enough to add another six plus what's left of the unfinished set he deserves to be sent off let alone binned . . . my guess is a coach would pull him from the field first

DiegoNT

First Grade
Big part of the problem is that every time this debate happens, the media peddles the myth that "10 mins is too big an impact in the modern game"

It's not. And even if it is, tough shit, don't give away deliberate penalties.

Deliberate penalties - aka professional fouls aka cheating - should be 10 mins in the bin.

Violent play that results in the victim injured or concussed should be a send off.

We don't need rule changes, we need the current rules to be actually enforced.

I think a big change in mindset came in that Eels-knights game from about 14 years ago when harrigan sin binned 3 eels players for repeat and deliberate offences. He copped it deluxe and got dropped over that game when in hindsight it was the right approach. Similar to origin in 2013 when the no punch rule was 1st introduced, the refs were blamed fora farce yet they done their jobs properly

siv

First Grade
5 min sin bin was introduced for repeated infringememts ie after 3

Then went out of vogue

Rule I think is still there - needs to be used

davi

Juniors
Edit: sorry the time out message has already been posted. Anyway I don't think yellow cards should be brought in but I would be open to a time out idea.

Last edited:

ReddFelon

Juniors
A yellow card and a sin bin is the exact same thing anyway. That said I support using the cards, there's been a small amount of research across League, Union and Soccer that says referees having a card are more comfortable using it than when they actually have to stop and tell the players they're being punished. I feel like that speaks for itself when Super League refs happily go to the pocket when someone is f**king about, while NRL refs almost look intimidated trying to tell players to obey the laws of the game. Yellows for sin bins and reds for send offs, no more of this "you're on report" bullshit, if someone coathangers another player late they should go, not stay on the field and find out their punishment a week later after they've already impacted the game.

Saxon

Bench
Stop fiddling with the rules and enforce the ones we have.

Refs already have the power to bin players for repeat offences - it needs to happen more and consistently.

And the NRL's defence when the coach claims that it lost them the game or spoilt the contest should be; "Well, Player X shouldn't have been a dickhead - how about you blame him".

Latest posts