What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sport Accord recognition

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Sounds like it might actually be happening this year. A big round of applause for Rugby Union, almost half a century of blocking the RLIF's entry. Didn't quite get the 50 but they put in a good knock.

9's at the Commonwealth Games here we come.

http://thesportdigest.com/2016/03/e...-membership-but-esports-and-parkour-rejected/

Arm wrestling, poker and rugby league have been recommended for full membership of SportAccord, the umbrella organisation for Olympic and non-Olympic sports, according to documents seen by insidethegames.

Nine other sports, however, including esports, parkour and pole sports, are set to have their applications for membership deferred.

The World Armwrestling Federation (WAF), the International Federation of Poker (IFP) and the Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) are expected to be formally accepted as members at the SportAccord General Assembly in Lausanne on April 22 following a recommendation by the ruling Council of SportAccord.

It would take the number of full SportAccord members to 91.

Applications from 10 other governing bodies, including rival bodies from parkour, have not been put forward.

The sport, also known as free running and which involves jumping from obstacles, was showcased during the Winter Youth Olympic Games in Lillehammer last month.

The applications from the International Parkour Federation and Mouvement International du Parkour, Freerunning et l’Art Du Déplacement, have both been turned down by SportAccord.

The International eSports Federation, based in South Korea, were founded in 2008.

Its World Championships in Seoul last year featured electronic games League of Legends, StarCraft II and Hearthstone.

Along with esports and parkour, Kabaddi, the International Roll Ball Federation, World Dodgeball Association, International Practical Shooting Confederation, International Woodball Federation, International Kurash Federation and International Pole Sports Federation had also submitted applications to join SportAccord by the deadline of August 20 last year.

Their applications are revealed in documents published for the General Assembly but the SportAccord Council does not believe they should be admitted at this time.

“The Council recommends that all these applications be postponed,” it said.

Membership of SportAccord is seen as an important step towards recognition by the Olympic Movement.

Among things that SportAccord study before granting admission is governance, anti-doping, universality, promotion and finance and development.

The recognition of poker is another boost for the IFP, whose President is well-known marketing executive Patrick Nally.

Earlier this month they launched a strategic sports partnership between Alibaba Sports and Oceans Sports and Entertainment, designed at developing and marketing match poker in the world’s most populous country.

The London-based IPF are hoping to popularise match poker, a team-based, non-gambling, e-sport version of poker in which players play for points rather than cash.

Hands are dealt by smartphones rather than with cards.

By Duncan Mackay

yakstorm

First Grade
Here's hoping the recommendation goes through... from a funding and government recognition aspect this is significant for a number of developing Rugby League nations.

Credit deserves to go to the RLIF for finally getting this through (assuming that there are no last minute surprises)

langpark

First Grade
I heard a few months ago that Sport Accord was going to become redundant in the near future and that an other body would be replacing it. So I wonder if this is too little too late?

Also: International Federation of Poker (IFP) ???? Seriously!?!??! 'Sport'??

Craigo

Juniors
I heard a few months ago that Sport Accord was going to become redundant in the near future and that an other body would be replacing it. So I wonder if this is too little too late?

Also: International Federation of Poker (IFP) ???? Seriously!?!??! 'Sport'??

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. How the hell could they choose poker over Dodgeball?? The American Dodgeball Association of America will be extremely disapointed...

Evil Homer

Staff member
Great and long overdue news but the presence of RL among the other 'sports' in that article really shows how badly the previous RLIF administrations have been f**king up. Seriously, what have these people been doing all these years? It's shameful. Even the likes of Cheerleading, Draughts and Tug of War have Sport Accord.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Rugby Union still trying their best to keep Rugby League out. Instead of today/tomorrow it will now be November at the earliest.

Exclusive: Arm wrestling, poker and rugby league bid for SportAccord inclusion postponed until new President elected
By Nick Butler at the SwissTech Convention Center in Lausanne
Thursday, 21 April 2016

Arm wrestling, poker and rugby league, the three sports recommended to become new members of SportAccord, will not now be proposed for inclusion during tomorrow's General Assembly, they were told here today.

insidethegames understands that the issue was debated at length during this morning's SportAccord Council meeting.

It was decided that it would be harmful to make new additions now and would be better delaying the process until a new SportAccord President is elected and has had the opportunity to set out their vision for running the organisation.

The World Armwrestling Federation (WAF), the International Federation of Poker (IFP) and the Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) were proposed in documents circulated to members last month ahead of the General Assembly, obtained by insidethegames,

A letter was subsequently sent to SportAccord by World Rugby calling for the RLIF not to be added.

Other teething problems were also raised aspects the criteria studied as part of the three applications, including in relation to the stated membership figures of the bodies and the validity of their anti-doping structures.

An election to choose a new SportAccord President is due to be held between International Basketball Federation secretary general Patrick Baumann and World Underwater Federation head Anna Arzhanova tomorrow.

It is hoped that the body will stabilise once a fresh leader is installed, making it easier to integrate new members.

insidethegames has been told that all Federations that were due to be added agreed to the postponement of the process.

It should either be discussed at next year's SportAccord General Assembly in Aarhus or, they hope, at a yet-to-be-convened Extraordinary General Assembly held during November's International Federations (IF) Forum here in Lausanne.

A letter is currently being drafted by SportAccord to the three Federations explaining the process more clearly.

There are currently 89 full members of SportAccord, with athletics, golf, rowing and shooting all having withdrawn last year.

Nine other Federations had already had their applications for inclusion deferred, including the International Parkour Federation, the Mouvement International du Parkour, Freerunning et l’Art Du Déplacement, and the International eSports Federation.

Others that had been unsuccessful were the International Pole Sports Federation, the International Kabaddi Federation and the International Roll Ball Federation, World Dodgeball Association, International Practical Shooting Confederation, International Woodball Federation, International Kurash Federation and International Pole Sports Federation.

insidethegames has contacted World Rugby for a reaction to the allegations they attempted to block the RLIF bid.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...clusion-postponed-until-new-president-elected

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Wish that mob would start worrying about itself than worrying about Rugby League.

And the Unionites wonder why we despise them so much :crazy:

taipan

Referee
Bloody union,Vichy tactics in 2016.Nothing's changed.I played their game for 5 years,and as I get older the more I detest the officials that are involved,and the game.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
It still shits me how stupid our sports name is....

I know Yawnion would keep up the attack regardless of the name, but im positive one of their "official" complaints in that letter (and in every attempt to block RL bodies) is the claim to owning "Rugby".

Why do we keep bashing our heads against a wall, latching onto a brand that isnt even valuable to us?!?!?! Can we please stop riding RUs coattails and just believe that our sport can develop in its own right, based on its own merits.

It would put us in a much stronger position for the time that Vichy lot come at us...

Pig Champion

Juniors
I really, really, really hate rugby ****ing union. Hate it.

A name change, good in theory but getting a good, new name and consensus may prove somewhat difficult.

Knownothing

Juniors
It still shits me how stupid our sports name is....

I know Yawnion would keep up the attack regardless of the name, but im positive one of their "official" complaints in that letter (and in every attempt to block RL bodies) is the claim to owning "Rugby".

Why do we keep bashing our heads against a wall, latching onto a brand that isnt even valuable to us?!?!?! Can we please stop riding RUs coattails and just believe that our sport can develop in its own right, based on its own merits.

It would put us in a much stronger position for the time that Vichy lot come at us...

Quod erat demonstrandum.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
What is sport accord and what does being a member of it mean for the sport?

How long before "world rugby" unilaterally declares ownership of rugby league?.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I really, really, really hate rugby ****ing union. Hate it.

A name change, good in theory but getting a good, new name and consensus may prove somewhat difficult.

Its not like our brand is all that consistent now...

In England, its just called Rugby which is even more confusing and in France its Game-of-13/Jeu à Treize. So moving the RLIF away from "Rugby League" is really the focus of what i am suggesting.

They wont need a consencus on the name because no one that cares will be effected imediately. In the areas RL is boutique at best, the sport would be established from the begining with the unique name.

On the other hand, areas where RL is already established (Aust, UK, NZ, Pacific) the name doesnt need to change (at least not in the short run). In the long run, the name may naturally filter through to overtake "Rugby League" as the common brand.

I would never suggest the RLIF just stand up and announce "X is our sports new name, you will use this and nothing else". A change would need to be gradual and incremental, beginning with organisations such as the RLIF and flowing from there to the branding in developing organisations......

What is sport accord and what does being a member of it mean for the sport?

How long before "world rugby" unilaterally declares ownership of rugby league?.

Didnt they already do it in Saudi Arabia??? (based mostly on the fact that anything "rugby" is considered to belong to them)

Last edited: