What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hong Kong Rugby League

latingringo101

Juniors
I'm sure it will, and know the HKRL guys have a number of other announcements planned for the year.

One advantage the HKRL have in attempting to setup local events and competitions is the work that has already happened in Thailand, Philippines and of course Japan.

HKRL is able to leverage those competitions to offer regular internationals matches as an incentive to attract players to its local events as well learn from other leagues the best strategies for introducing the game into Asia.

Hopefully the HKRL is also able to assist the other way as well and in a few years we can have at least 4x strong leagues in the Asian market.

It'd be great if other teams such as China and Republic of Korea could take up the sport. I heard Vietnam, Singapore, Malaysia and India are trying to start the sport (however haven't heard much noise from these places lately.

It'd be great if other teams such as China and Republic of Korea could take up the sport. I heard Vietnam, Singapore, Malaysia and India are trying to start the sport (however haven't heard much noise from these places lately.
Really there's not much they can say until something notable comes off until then we can only hope!

flamin

Juniors
Love the work you guys are doing over there. Thanks for keeping us all up-to-date.

One of the things I was wondering about it is the name of the sport. I see from the logo HKRL has gone with 揽球联盟。The group behind China Rugby League on social media have 橄榄球十三。While either name may be accurate from the view of a translator, I suppose what concerns me is that this name is going to have the same issues that we have now in English with the name "rugby league", where in new rugby league territories our name sounds like a league of rugby (union) and not a separate sport in its own right.

What are the thoughts on this? It's even worse in the mainland where 橄榄球 can refer to rugby or American football. Is a totally distinct name from rugby union and American football something that can be established while the sport is still in its infancy in China?

Knownothing

Juniors
Love the work you guys are doing over there. Thanks for keeping us all up-to-date.

One of the things I was wondering about it is the name of the sport. I see from the logo HKRL has gone with 揽球联盟。The group behind China Rugby League on social media have 橄榄球十三。While either name may be accurate from the view of a translator, I suppose what concerns me is that this name is going to have the same issues that we have now in English with the name "rugby league", where in new rugby league territories our name sounds like a league of rugby (union) and not a separate sport in its own right.

What are the thoughts on this? It's even worse in the mainland where 橄榄球 can refer to rugby or American football. Is a totally distinct name from rugby union and American football something that can be established while the sport is still in its infancy in China?

Take a stroll over to the "Sport Accord Recognition" thread. The debate could use an insightful contributor like you.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Yeah, please do not call it 'rugby league'. League XIII Football is the way if you can find a translation for that.

DlEHARD

Juniors
And then there was eight...
The 2016 Hooked Hong Kong Nines will feature eight teams (a 100% increase on 2015) after the Tsim Sha Tsui Renegades registered this week.
Players wanting to join the Renegades or any of the seven other teams are encouraged to email info@hongkongrugbyleague.com or message this page to share their interest before Monday's event.

yakstorm

First Grade
Massive achievement by the HKRL, doubling the number of teams year on year. Should make for an exciting Nines tournament.

Also saw in their newsletter that the HK Residents XIII are set to play a Thailand Residents XIII soon as well which is exciting.

DlEHARD

Juniors
Also saw in their newsletter that the HK Residents XIII are set to play a Thailand Residents XIII soon as well which is exciting.

HKRL playing Thailand will be a big moment. A moment when the Asian powers unite for the first time. Well expect for some of their lovely officials helping advise and also referee at last year's 9s.

DlEHARD

Juniors
Check out these photos from the recent HK 9s. Victors were the new Lantau Island All Stars! Report to come.

CLICK HERE

13147812_1534176096890026_2371652570808138893_o.jpg

DlEHARD

Juniors
Diehard,

How many of these players are currently committed to playing rugby union?

We have a lot of players who also play union, so we try to fit in and around the union schedule. Until we can reach a point and have our own Premiership.

It's great to see players with no league experience embrace the game and enjoy it. Really rewarding.

Knownothing

Juniors
Securing enough venues might be a problem for any proper competition that runs in the football season, I would imagine?

spinnerhowland

Juniors
Fields and access is the #1 issue, that's for sure. Daylight second. But we are doing ok.

Huge effort, and as someone who has been doing the same in the USA for 15 years, congrats. And totally understand the issue with fields, venues, competing sports, advertising, etc.
And great to see you doing so well.
This is certainly NOT a criticism, but is obvious that almost all the players are ex-pats. How are you attracting more Chinese to the sport. It would be great to see more and more local getting into the game.

Again, awesome work pushing the game for nothing more than the love of the sport. Congrats

Latest posts