What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sport Accord recognition

Craigo

Juniors
It doesn't need wholesale changes. In markets where RL is well known and recognised, RU can EAD but in new and emerging markets and even areas where RL has been played for years but hassled by RU, changing the name to League XIII seems like it could work. No, RU does not "own" the word Rugby the same way the ITF doesnt own the word tennis, but holy jeebus they make it difficult for Rugby League in places..

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
(i) it is evident that WorldRugby does not like the word rugby being associated with rugby league. This is a clear as day indication that league should hold onto it and not give it up.

(ii) With the inclusion of rugby 7s in the olympics, people are going to wake up to the fact now more than ever that there are different rugbies. You will see more rugby 15s in the media, more frequent cases of the word "rugby" simply not being enough to know what one is talking about.

(iii) It goes both ways. Rugby league could, and should perhaps, and maybe even does advertise games as just "rugby" in developing markets. Having the word rugby in the name of the sport can be viewed as a positive thing.

(iv) "To separate from the Private School wankers would be disrespectful to our games history!!!!!" - never in my life have I thought of the word rugby in rugby league as being a link to private school wankers, or the establishment or whatever. It is just simply the name of the sport.

(v) French rugby league fought long and hard to regain the use of the word rugby. Losing this right in the first place did diddly squat to help the promotion of the sport. And to add to BODISGOD above, it has been ruled in France that union does not and cannot hold exclusive rights to the word rugby.

Even if the is correct (i would call it hopeful), RL still cannot work with this....

Our sport is called "Rugby Competition" and we are surprised when people think it is a Rugby competition?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I dont care either way on whether we keep of ditch "Rugby" (i dont think it is all that valuable a brand for us, but history and shit....), but we cannot keep the current brand and expect anything other that what we are getting now.

The trend of sharing umbrella terms for sport is to put a defining term first; Australian Football/American Football/Rugby Football/Association Football, 9s Rugby/7s Rugby, etc. This is the absolute minimum RL need to meet.

Im personally fond of Gridiron Rugby, but it could be just about anything; we have 120 years of history, im sure we could find SOMETHING to throw in....

adamkungl

Immortal
XIII Rugby/ Rugby13s?

I agree 'League' is the dumb word. I assume the original use of League was not meant to become the name of the sport.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
XIII Rugby/ Rugby13s?

Ive never been a fan of "13s". A number is hard to own...

It would need to be something genuinely unique for the IRLF to claim completely; Origin could be a good one (though it doesnt make heaps of sense), a name from a games founder (Gilltinan, Trumper, one of the NU blokes) or as i have suggested before Gridiron (it exploits the popularity of NFL and we do have solid historical connections)

I agree 'League' is the dumb word. I assume the original use of League was not meant to become the name of the sport.

Yes, this i agree with.....

Of the history i have read, it seemed the NSWRL and the NU hoped to realign with the RU. The original move to independence by RL seemed to be an attempt to shock the conservative Private school twats in charge of the Rugby establishment. It was several years before RL was established as a permanently separate sport and, by then, "Rugby League" had become the sports name.

The end of WW1 would have been the time to change the name, but branding was hardly a huge issue back then.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/former-allies-blow-whistle-on-nrl-referees-boss-tony-archer-on-facebook-20160424-godska.html

Rah-rah ruckus
The oldest enmity in rugby league – the one with rugby union – has flared again. Most countries do not recognise them as separate sports, meaning league is denied funding, insurance and in some cases protection from intimidation and even – hello Sol Mokdad – jail. That was supposed to change with league, arm wrestling and poker due to be formally admitted to Sports Accord in Lucerne over the past few days. Alas, that was delayed and at the same time, reported insidethegame.biz. "A letter was subsequently sent to SportAccord by World Rugby calling for the RLIF not to be added". It appears the Rugby League International Federation does not know exactly what was in this letter – and has asked the former IRB to formally guarantee them it wasn't a hatchet job. "RLIF has received a written assurance from World Rugby that the concern which World Rugby has raised is with SportAccord and not with the RLIF application and therefore there is no reason for the RLIF application not to be approved at the November meeting," said League's CEO David Collier.

I wonder why this is....

Im sure it has nothing to do with the fact that they call themselves "Rugby" while we call ourselves "Rugby Competition".

Surely people arent just mistaking use for a Rugby competition...

hutch

First Grade
Funny thing is, if we didn't separate from union all those years ago you would assume the one rugby code would look like rugby league today which has progressed over the years, whereas Union is stuck in the dark ages.

latingringo101

Juniors
We have been calling ourselves Rugby League for over 120 years, let's just keep it that way!

If new people to our sport prefer to call it Rugby XIII or Game of XIII that's ok, but our official name should be Rugby League!

adamkungl

Immortal
Step 1. Create the best Rugby comps on the planet, of either code.
Step 2. Market the game using those comps.

deluded pom?

Coach
We have been calling ourselves Rugby League for over 120 years, let's just keep it that way!

If new people to our sport prefer to call it Rugby XIII or Game of XIII that's ok, but our official name should be Rugby League!

Rugby League (or the Northern Rugby Football League) has only been the name of the sport since 1922.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Knowing these alternatives would almost need a degree in RL history. The people that know of these alternatives would already understand that Rugby Competition and Rugby Competition are different sports.....

In these new areas, the name of the organisation will be the name they use and Rugby League will make us look like a Rugby Competition.

Id personally propose the opposite; keep Rugby League as the colloquial term (we're not going to stop people using it if thats what they prefer), but change the official name to something unique and distinct so people being introduced to the game for the first time wont confuse us with Union....

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Just bypass using a town name

And become the World League ( Country Name )

Definitely a weird idea, but it might be enough to make people notice it and remember...

There might again be problems in telling people it is a sport and not just a football league of some random code.

Also, it might come across as pathetic as the VFLs International Rules and their plea for people to take them seriously....

Edit: the easiest choice by far would be NRL Football but im not really a fan of that...

langpark

First Grade
Sad week for International Rugby League. Australia abuses the unfair advantage it has in having 15 professional fulltime clubs by picking a player on residency, and the coach of England successfully stops Samoa selecting a fit and eligible athlete. I know many of you are passionate about rugby league getting IOC and SportAccord recognition but I don't think it deserves it. It's not yet an international sport in the true sense of the term. These things don't happen in organisations and communities ready to join the global family of sports, sorry. Rugby league is run by 16 coaches in Australia and New Zealand, not by a governing body.

Spot on as always.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
It's now December.
AIMS had their most recent meeting on the 18th of November but no news of RLIF membership into AIMS or SA.

RLIF has been left frustrated by delays to the process for international recognition by SportAccord
RLIF Committed to AIMS membership at November meeting.

RLIF was disappointed that its application for membership of AIMS first made in 2013 was further delayed by the recent changes within SportAccord

Rugby League's application had been assessed and confirmed as compliant and therefore was recommended to the SportAccord council to place before the 2016 General Assembly. However on the eve of the General Assembly RLIF, in common with other applicant sports, were informed that it was deemed to be necessary to take the recommended application to a forum of SportAccord in November rather than finalise the process on 22 April.

RLIF Chief Executive David Collier commented:

"RLIF is frustrated by the delay in our membership application but we continue to work with SportAccord to bring this process to a successful conclusion in November."

"RLIF has received a written assurance from World Rugby that the concern which World Rugby has raised is with SportAccord and not with the RLIF application and therefore there is no reason for the RLIF application not to be approved at the November meeting. Sadly the delay creates additional cost and hardship to sport but we look forward to a successful outcome at the latest by the November meeting."

RLIF has sent its congratulations to Mr Patrick Baumann on his election as the new President of SportAccord and looks forward to working with Mr Baumann.
http://www.rlif.com/article/1649/frustrating-delay-to-international-recognition