What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Wit and Wisdom of Jason Taylor

Tigerm

First Grade
WESTS Tigers coach Jason Taylor has thrown another tin of petrol on his simmering feud with Robbie Farah.

In the wake of the his side’s 32-18 loss to the Roosters, Taylor was more than happy to hand over his support for James Tedesco to be elevated into the NSW State of Origin team after his return from injury.

But Taylor also refused to confirm if the NSW incumbent hooker would be rushed back into the Tigers’ starting team for Friday night’s clash with South Sydney.

Jason Taylor seemed to leave Robbie Farah’s future intentionally ambiguous.Jason Taylor seemed to leave Robbie Farah’s future intentionally ambiguous. Source: News Corp Australia
On a wet and wild afternoon at Allianz Stadium, Taylor had four chances to shut down the conversation about Farah’s immediate future in a bizarre post match media conference but instead he intentionally chose to leave the debate open.

Farah was officially rested from the match following Wednesday night’s gruelling State of Origin opener.

But even after Matt Ballin was forced out with a knee injury Taylor made no apologises for not playing Farah.

“We thought it was the right thing right from the start (to rest Farah) and continued to believe it was the right thing,” Taylor said.

“It was really important to have a strong team in the middle of the field and just with what Robbie had been through the last couple of weeks we just thought that was right.”

Taylor was then asked if Farah would be brought straight back in for this week’s game but was very coy with his response.

“I will assume so, we will look at that,” Taylor said.

Asked again what he meant by that, Taylor continued: “Well, each week stands on its own.

“We will work out exactly what is happening next week with our team.”

Asked if the decision would be based on Farah’s health or what was best for the team, Taylor added: “Both things.”

Former Tiger Bryce Gibbs took to Twitter to criticise Farah’s omission.

“Some great coaching today by the tigers coach by resting farah, shit didnt know you blokes were already in the semi’s! #peanut,’’ Gibbs tweeted.

The Tigers went into the game with new recruit Elijah Taylor at hooker who played strongly.

But the upcoming game against Souths will be the first time Taylor has had to choose between Farah and Ballin who have not played together so far this season after Ballin’s switch from Manly.

The Tigers’ record without Farah this year stands at four wins from six games, while it drops to just one win from seven games with Farah in the team.

Meanwhile, Tedesco was impressive in his first game back from injury, playing a hand in the Tigers two first half tries and then scoring himself while he was outstanding under the high ball in extremely difficult conditions.

“He was very impressive,” Taylor said.

“The guys voted him as our players player in that match.

“It was great to see him back. I think that game would have been a lot tougher without him back there.”

Asked if he expected to lose Tedesco in the coming weeks to the Blues, Taylor said: “I don’t know.

“That is one everyone wants to engage in but I don’t know what the selectors will do there.

“I know he is the best fullback in NSW but whether they want to pick him or not is up to them.”

While Taylor was happy with the effort from his team, he said the kicking game of his halves Luke Brooks and Mitchell Moses and poor ball control cost the team.

“We didn’t play the conditions as well as we would have liked to,” he said.

“We planned for it and we knew what it was going to be like out there and we tried hard to control what we did, particularly kicking.

“Our kicking let us down and unforced errors were the issue for us today. They know that.

“Our halves put their hand up in the dressing room after the game which is great.

“It is really great that they are taking ownership for that.”

When does this shit from Taylor about Farah stop, what does he think it will achieve? surely it is effecting the squad, management need to step in and fix it once and for all, as I thought it was sorted out.

Last edited:

Fordy20

Juniors
Taylor wasn't being coy. Of course it's both, whatever is best for Robbie's health is what's best for the team. The media really has it in for us.

Tiger05

First Grade
I don't think Taylor really said much wrong in this instance. I think the media smells a story and goes hard for it.

Tigerm

First Grade
I don't think Taylor really said much wrong in this instance. I think the media smells a story and goes hard for it.

I think its more about what he didn't say. Farah should have played against thr chooks if he was fit & by all accounts he was.

I hope the club has asked for a "please explain".

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was more the fact he wouldn't guarantee Farah would play this week, despite Taylor seemingly having it in for Cherrington and Farah and with Ballin injured.

If Ballin is out, then he had to pick ond of the other two. You csnnot have an effectively functioning spine with a makeshift hooker. The modern game needs a rake who can grt his forwards going forward so as to create space for the halves.

Halatau is not, has not and will not ever be a hooker.

Elijah has to be in the back row.

Swallow your f**king..... i can't say pride because the dumb merkin has nothing to be proud of, and puck Farah or Cherrington.

Liddle won't get picked. He doesn't play Taylorball. JT hates hookers with ball skills. We'll probably lose all 3 and then sign Rory Kostjasyn on a 6 year deal worth 4 million bucks.

WESTS Tigers hooker Robbie Farah could be benched just three days before he is named as NSW’s starting No. 9 for State of Origin II.
While Farah is a certainty for Laurie Daley’s Blues team, Tigers coach Jason

Taylor on Thursday refused to guarantee Farah would start Friday’s match against South Sydney ahead of utility Dene Halatau.

Many may see it as a continuation of a simmering feud between the two, but Taylor insisted that Farah was not different to any other player and he would pick his side in the best interests of the club.

“We’ve had a really strong six weeks of footy and what we want to do is keep that rolling,” Taylor said.

“What we’re trying to do is build competition for positions. We’ve got 24 players now that are genuine NRL players. There were times last year when we struggled to find 17.

“That creates competition for positions and I want to continue to build that.

“I told the guys a few weeks ago when we were in a run of losses that the pressure’s on everyone to perform and if you don’t you won’t be in the team.”

The apparent feud between the two goes back to last season when Taylor attempted to force the premiership-winning Tigers hooker out of the club and threatened to drop him to reserve grade.

Taylor admits he raised Farah’s ire when he elected to rest him in their 32-18 loss to Sydney Roosters on Sunday but denied they were incapable of working together.

“Robbie and I have a really strong working relationship, a really positive relationship” Taylor said.

“We’ve worked hard on that and it’s going really well.”
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...y/news-story/f8652d34a56d45f56de590e5d275425e

So I will start off with the last two comments,
“Robbie and I have a really strong working relationship, a really positive relationship” Taylor said.

“We’ve worked hard on that and it’s going really well.”
therefore, I ask who do we think we would prefer to see at the club until the end of their contracts?
Farah who by is competitive nature and experience could still add value to the team and be a mentor to the 9 who is next in line or

Taylor who has stated that they have a strong working relationship and yet will not pick the 9 at the club with the most experience and can guide that team and the young players around the field?
Taylor who has stated that
We’ve got 24 players now that are genuine NRL players
and therefore must not be a good judge of what a good 1st grade footballer is and has refused to drop players (with the exception of Sironen)?
Taylor who has stated that
“We’ve had a really strong six weeks of footy and what we want to do is keep that rolling,”
and yet the team in the last 6 has had
L in the rain
W against a team missing what 6 SOO players?
W against team coming last and it wasnt at all convincing,
L by 32 to the Bulldogs,
W against an out of form Souths which was still a good win and
L (BY 54)

I think he's delusional

Tigerm

First Grade
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...y/news-story/f8652d34a56d45f56de590e5d275425e

So I will start off with the last two comments,
therefore, I ask who do we think we would prefer to see at the club until the end of their contracts?
Farah who by is competitive nature and experience could still add value to the team and be a mentor to the 9 who is next in line or

Taylor who has stated that they have a strong working relationship and yet will not pick the 9 at the club with the most experience and can guide that team and the young players around the field?
Taylor who has stated that and therefore must not be a good judge of what a good 1st grade footballer is and has refused to drop players (with the exception of Sironen)?
Taylor who has stated that and yet the team in the last 6 has had
L in the rain
W against a team missing what 6 SOO players?
W against team coming last and it wasnt at all convincing,
L by 32 to the Bulldogs,
W against an out of form Souths which was still a good win and
L (BY 54)

I think he's delusional

I agree, he must be delusional, I can't understand what is going on here, arguably our best forward is being put out to dry in the press, surely MO'n has to step in and sort this out.

I just heard Taylor on the Ch 10 news saying that he'd expect any player to be mad if they started on the bench.

Got me wondering, hasn't the coach got an obligation to the sponsors as well as fans to select the strongest available 17 each week.

So if Farah is not under any displinary action or injured, he should be selected?

Would Taylor be in breach of his contracted obligation?

Tigerted

Juniors
Taylor is a delusional degenerate who by his actions over the last yr & a half has major insecurities & is way out of his depth as coach.

The fact he has the support of the myopic Go & Pascoe from all accounts doesn't augur well for this clubs short/medium term future.

For this major league imbecile to say "we've had a really strong 6 weeks of footy" & wants that pathetic rubbish to keep on rolling he should be hauled over the coals & told to pack his bags & f**k off out of concord.

At the midway point of season we have the 2nd worst defence & this after being handed a very generous draw !!

This club has got itself one heck of an albatross around its neck.He deadset makes that bogan Lamb seem like he was a brilliant coach !

This is the logic that caused JT to get a punch in the face at Souths,Halatau has been a good club men but lets face it he has two left hands when it comes to ball skills.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Will never forget late in 2004 v Cowboys at Campbo in the drizzle. He was diabolical

I think he's delusional and it gets me that the guys who get a gig on radio/TV from experts like Rothfield, Wilson, Kent to former players such as Johns. Tallis, Brohman can and do simple say that there's a problem at the club and one or the other of Farah or Taylor should go but never ever comment about the bias of Taylor in regards to selections and the fact that someone like Halatau, Kev, are not up to 1st grade standard etc.

Tonight we will see and hear Fittler interviewing Taylor before the game and it will be cringe worthy. We will hear Johns comment on bad reads by Kev in the centres but he won't say he does it all of the time.

These people watch but they don't see :crazy:

Clifferd

Coach
This is the logic that caused JT to get a punch in the face at Souths,Halatau has been a good club men but lets face it he has two left hands when it comes to ball skills.

*two left foots*

Tbh I wish he'd just do what's best for the club already and retire while letting some up and comer have a crack. Give him a role around the club that doesn't involve taking the field because atm he is just there to make up the numbers & it's starting to get cringeworthy

gallagher

Juniors
The only two decent games Farah has played in the last two seasons have been after taylor told him to look elsewhere and when he benched him.
Superb move by Taylor this week.

Das Hassler

Bench
Will never forget late in 2004 v Cowboys at Campbo in the drizzle. He was diabolical

Are you kidding....2004...well in the finals of 2005 he was great so what's the point? 2004 was his srcond year in the NRL for f-cks sake....how did you go in your second year?....were you playing ..coaching or both

Tigerm

First Grade
It appears Wests Tigers coach Jason Taylor has ramped up his efforts to get Robbie Farah out of the club. And here is another project for Taylor: he needs to keep in sweet with captain Aaron Woods.

We understand the brilliance of James Tedesco, Mitchell Moses and Luke Brooks, but Woods is the player Taylor needs to build a club around.

This column hinted at tension between the skipper and coach recently – more specifically the way it was communicated to Woods that he would be making his comeback from the bench. Taylor has confirmed publicly that Woods wasn't happy at being benched. We were set to bring you the news that Woods and Taylor don't get along – something we have heard several times now – but that has been played down.

Woods is as affable and easygoing a character as you could meet, and he has told this column there are no problems between him and the coach. Woods has always been honest with this column, so we will take him on his word.

Taylor needs Woods on his side.

Taylor would think he is on track to succeed in pushing Farah out. But take it as fact Farah is not flustered. He is not biting back. He will play reserve grade if it comes to that. Farah has kept his views to himself on Taylor's latest attempt to pressure and embarrass him.

As for 2017, Farah has no plans to leave. And would only do so if he has a viable option, as he had with the Roosters last year. He will go if he can be coached by someone who appreciates him. He wants to play in a team that has the potential to win a title. He does not want to go to England, even though there is already strong interest.

Farah has had to sit back and watch his name be dragged through the mud again. It comes back to the media conference Taylor conducted after the loss to the Roosters last Sunday.

Taylor made the "war" public between the pair when he wouldn't confirm Farah was in the side. All week leading into the game with Souths on Friday there was one focus from the media: Farah. Not on any of the players who lost to the Roosters. That's the Roosters minus Mitchell Pearce. And Boyd Cordner.

We should have been asking questions about Taylor's tactics, recruitment and relationship with his assistants and other leading players. Instead it was Farah who had to sneak out of training on Tuesday because there were three camera crews waiting for him. The last thing Farah wanted to do was explain why Taylor didn't assure him of his spot for the game against Souths. How would he know?

And then Taylor held another media conference on Thursday. There were a dozen questions from TV reporters. They all focused in Taylor v Farah and there was barely a positive word from Taylor.

Farah has just kept his head down. He has done what he has been asked.

His agent, Sam Ayoub, is frustrated by the speculation and says he is sick of the agendas.

"This isn't a Robbie Farah issue," Ayoub said. "He has a binding contract. That is acknowledged by all and sundry at the Tigers. He can't be forced out, irrespective of the agendas, let alone be forced out of the country to play anywhere else, be it in Australia or overseas. That is a choice for Robbie, not anyone else.

"My interest is in Robbie. Robbie hasn't driven this, nor has he asked for any of this to be played out the way it has. He has said nothing, he has copped it, maintained his silence, but mostly he has maintained his dignity, something others should adopt.

"He has been focused and committed to the Wests Tigers and he showed again on Friday night what a class person and player he is."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...160611-gph4ff.html?rand=3264825#ixzz4BJKMK5FV

You also have to wonder why the halves did not sign the longer term deals as well?

Last edited:

Latest posts