What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia vs England - June tests

saint.nick

Coach
The gap from NRL quality to Union quality is hilarious .

I f**king know right. I hate to bag players like this, but the gulf in relative individual class, and athleticism, between the NRL's best players and the ARU's best players is more open than a woman who just had triplets. Just look at the amount of shonky passes to teammates' feet. I thought passing ability was an even bigger cornerstone in rugby than in league?

If Australia want to compete with NZ then they need to make themselves less 'exclusive' in grassroots footy and figure out ways to draw in more junior participants from a wider array of socioeconomic classes. Right now it's just your Joeys and Riverview and Scots old boys. No wonder the ARU is always trying to pinch the NRL's biggest stars, the talent pool is just way too small. If more kids aside from privileged private school boys played the game, they would be unearthing a lot more raw talent without the need to coerce NRL's best players, and they'd be having many more 'golden generations' like in the 90s and early 00s.

FAS33

Juniors
I f**king know right. I hate to bag players like this, but the gulf in relative individual class, and athleticism, between the NRL's best players and the ARU's best players is more open than a woman who just had triplets. Just look at the amount of shonky passes to teammates' feet. I thought passing ability was an even bigger cornerstone in rugby than in league?

If Australia want to compete with NZ then they need to make themselves less 'exclusive' in grassroots footy and figure out ways to draw in more junior participants from a wider array of socioeconomic classes. Right now it's just your Joeys and Riverview and Scots old boys. No wonder the ARU is always trying to pinch the NRL's biggest stars, the talent pool is just way too small. If more kids aside from privileged private school boys played the game, they would be unearthing a lot more raw talent without the need to coerce NRL's best players, and they'd be having many more 'golden generations' like in the 90s and early 00s.

It is very sexually frustrating.

RoosTah

Juniors

Very much agree with this, but at the same time when you look at their resources England should be much better not just than Australia, but NZ and everyone else as well. They have something like 6 times the players and 8 times the revenue of either Australia or NZ, and yet have been nothing but massive underachievers for the past 13 years.

Even with all that though, without a coaching side stacked with Aussies like Jones, George Smith and Ella, they got thrashed by Australia in the world cup (and let's face it, that still matters more than this).

But frankly on our side, our kiwi friend here is right - Foley isn't a 10, and this series has shown just how little he suits the role.

Parra

Referee

The chip is on your shoulder.

Pommy

Coach
We gave u that win. Let's see if you'll still be here after game 3.

BTW I don't give a f**k about cricket. But how many world cups u have again?

Game 3s pretty irrelevant now isn't it? I might actually be going as a mates been desperate to go although I think his interest may have lapsed after the last two games.
I hope fox put that video on TV again.

FAS33

Juniors
Game 3s pretty irrelevant now isn't it? I might actually be going as a mates been desperate to go although I think his interest may have lapsed after the last two games.
I hope fox put that video on TV again.

Should watch the replays of your ODI cricket world cup wins as well...oh wait...

RoosTah

Juniors
Should watch the replays of your ODI cricket world cup wins as well...oh wait...

Pommies played well. Sure, they had to hire an all Aussie coaching staff to work us out, and even then still basically played 10 man rugby built on goal kicking above all else, but they played to their boring strengths and we didn't adapt.

strong_latte

Juniors
The English haven't changed. When they're good, it's because they're good up front and have a sharp shooter. They've never had a complete game like the All Blacks or the Wallabies of the late 90s.

But that said, some times I wish the Wallabies would just develop a super sharp shooter who can kick a drop goal from 50 reliably and then just drop goal the poms to death to the point where THEY want to reduce the value of kicks.

saint.nick

Coach
Very much agree with this, but at the same time when you look at their resources England should be much better not just than Australia, but NZ and everyone else as well. They have something like 6 times the players and 8 times the revenue of either Australia or NZ, and yet have been nothing but massive underachievers for the past 13 years.

Even with all that though, without a coaching side stacked with Aussies like Jones, George Smith and Ella, they got thrashed by Australia in the world cup (and let's face it, that still matters more than this).

But frankly on our side, our kiwi friend here is right - Foley isn't a 10, and this series has shown just how little he suits the role.

England just have a different problem than us. Australia seem to have no problem producing great coaches to get the best out of talented players when they have them. England suck at it. It's not just Union, it's soccer too. In the EPL, none of the top managers are English, and an English manager has not won the premiership since the Leeds coach in 92. The best Englishman they could find for the England gig was an outdated owl called Roy Hodgson. Their cricket team even won the Ashes with an Aussie coach.

Perhaps the way they nurture their young talent is flawed too. NZ have it spot on. They have a great player for just about every position who knows exactly what he's supposed to do, and does it well.

FAS33

Juniors
Our Wallabies are ranked 2nd in the world. Not bad for our 5th National sport if u ask me.

Parra

Referee
Not 2nd after these two losses. But the point is valid. We pubch well above our weight in rugby. NZ moreso of course. But for all of the lack of attention and players in Australia maintaining a decent ranking is impressive. Hard to find a positive at the moment - but take a look at how quickly the poms have turned things around.

RoosTah

Juniors
England just have a different problem than us. Australia seem to have no problem producing great coaches to get the best out of talented players when they have them. England suck at it. It's not just Union, it's soccer too. In the EPL, none of the top managers are English, and an English manager has not won the premiership since the Leeds coach in 92. The best Englishman they could find for the England gig was an outdated owl called Roy Hodgson. Their cricket team even won the Ashes with an Aussie coach.

Perhaps the way they nurture their young talent is flawed too. NZ have it spot on. They have a great player for just about every position who knows exactly what he's supposed to do, and does it well.

True - actually soccer is the only big sport in England not coached by an Aussie now that Wayne Bennett has agreed to coach their League side too.

That's pretty nuts when you think about it; they have Aussies coaching their national Cricket, Union and League teams. We just need their soccer team to appoint Popa or something to complete the picture lol

Makes you almost feel proud when the poms beat other sides (although when they beat us I just want to cancel the passports of their coaches :p) .

Latest posts