What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

English lower leagues

langpark

First Grade
Brilliant stuff! Thunder have been going great over the last two seasons (off the field more so), I hope they keep up the great work and eventually get promoted to the Championship.

yakstorm

First Grade
Agreed. The fact that they have increased their base crowd from around 250 to closer to 600 and are now getting a few 1K+ crowds a season is really encouraging growth for the club.

langpark

First Grade
Some pretty close contests on Day 1:

Sheffield 14-32 London
Workington 24-28 Whitehaven
Bradford 20-24 Leigh
Crowd: 9,521

langpark

First Grade
Anyone think London may have a chance of promotion this year? They've had a decent season and now got Jamie Soward on board too.

roughyed8

Juniors
Anyone think London may have a chance of promotion this year? They've had a decent season and now got Jamie Soward on board too.
One of the four SL clubs would have to go into total meltddown in the next few weeks for that to happen, it could happen at Salford if the good Doctor spits his dummy and goes, Leeds are finding some form with a lot of players back from long term injuries Hudderfield and Hull KR should be just too strong.
The only team with any chance is Leigh and that would have to be in the £1m game and thats assuming they dont have another meltdown like last years.

Evil Homer

Staff member
York about to fold are they? I know they've been on thin ice for a few years but it looks like this might finally be it for them. Sad day for Rugby League.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/14...y_coming_down_on_York_City_Knights/?ref=fbshr
A lot more to this than it seems, it's a very strange situation involving the owner Guildford who appears to be an absolute poisonous individual to the extent that a lot of York's fans seem to be happy about the possibility of the club folding as it means a new club may be formed without the stigma of this guy attached to it. Unthinkable really that they would be allowed to fold mid-season as it absolutely f**ks up the Super 8's structure in that division.

langpark

First Grade
That's terrible!! Yes I remember reading about him a while back, though don't know many details about the whole thing.

Any chance of York Acorn being able to step up in a few years? (if the Knights do indeed fold for good)

Evil Homer

Staff member
That's terrible!! Yes I remember reading about him a while back, though don't know many details about the whole thing.

Any chance of York Acorn being able to step up in a few years? (if the Knights do indeed fold for good)
If York fold I imagine they would probably be replaced next year by a new fan-owned club with the same name and adopting the same history. I also imagine they would probably be able to play at the stadium freely as the current owner is apparently the one who has repeatedly scuppered negotiations with the council and soccer team and led to them playing at a local amateur club for most of last year. The owner has also reportedly banned a bunch of long-standing investors and former directors who disagreed with him from attending matches this season, and attendances have pretty much halved because of his behaviour. The guy really does seem like a nasty piece of work, he should've been thrown out of the sport last year IMO for an incident where he abused some of the club's disabled fans on Facebook. If he's finally gone that's definitely good news, the bigger issue for me is how and why they would be unable to complete the season, that should surely be the priority even if it means the RFL stepping in to pay the wages and playing the remaining home matches at different locations.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Massive shame that someone can intentionally run a club into the ground. This guildford is just an ego maniac and hopefully with him not being involved in pro RL in the city in future a new start club can take hold.

Frim what i have read in the past couple of hours seems to paint the council as equally bad. Seems yorks old ground stood empty for a year after they vacated before demo and there is a great deal if pessimism about the new community stadium ever being built. Its a big place york, approx 200,000 but pro soort does not seem to theive their for some reason. The football club are bottom feeders as well.

Last edited:

CC_Roosters

First Grade
On the field.

Massive final day in the championship. 4 teams in the mix for 3rd and 4th spot in the middle 8's. All kickoff at the same time on sunday. What the final table looks like up top is anyones guess, but i would like bradford to sneak into 4th to setup a massive tie against leeds at odsal.

Swinton v batley
Featherstone v Bradford
Halifax v london

http://m.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/championship/table

Leigh and london guarnateed 1st and 2nd.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Looks like York have officially folded, been reformed immediately with new owners and will be allowed to play out the rest of the season as planned but be ineligible for promotion. Pretty weird situation.

adamkungl

Immortal
Can't find results/tables for League 1 Super8s on the official site... am I missing something or have they just failed to update it

langpark

First Grade
Can't find results/tables for League 1 Super8s on the official site... am I missing something or have they just failed to update it
I was about to ask the same. Can't find a thing and have been looking for a while on the official SL site. Seems only the Bottom 8 fixtures are out so far. Is there still another round of the regular season left or something?

Latest posts