What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are we the real deal in 2016?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'm honestly left wondering where we're at with this season - we're now four on the trot and our improvement seems to be pretty steady... we've now quietly snuck into the top four and seem pretty entrenched there.

We beat the Storm and led the Sharks til the 79th minute... smashed the (albeit understrength) Broncos... we face the Cowboys next.

If we beat them, can we consider ourselves title contenders?

I'm honestly left wondering where we're at with this season - we're now four on the trot and our improvement seems to be pretty steady... we've now quietly snuck into the top four and seem pretty entrenched there.

We beat the Storm and led the Sharks til the 79th minute... smashed the (albeit understrength) Broncos... we face the Cowboys next.

Your definitely not guaranteed a top 4 spot and unless you get that forget about a chance at the title.

Your halves are very inconsistent. Probably the worst halves pairing in the top 6 sides on the ladder at the moment.

Forwards pack is massive but get tired in the last twenty minutes of games and that's where the Sharks went right over the top of you.

Backs have a lot of quality about them but in the end I think because you've had a pretty soft draw so far the back end will find your team out.

Apologies for the harsh appraisal , just being honest.

Timmah

Staff member
Worth noting we made the 2014 GF with a worse team from 7th spot, and went with the Bunnies for the best part of 55 minutes. I think we're an even better team now - it's just that other teams have gotten even better.

I don't know that we're there yet but I'm already more confident now than I was 4-5 weeks ago.

lafai

Bench
I'll reserve my judgment on whether we're contenders come September lol. Got my hopes up in 2012 when we were going even better than where we are now and look how that turned out. 2014 we shouldn't have even made the GF.

I do like the T-Rex coming off the bench move that Des did (although he was quiet on Saturday) and I also love the BMoz to wing & Rona to centre moves. Mbye and Reynolds just have to concentrate on their short kicking game since our forwards lay a platform and also create.

Do I think we're a contender? No because we haven't played a great 80 minutes all year. But do I think we can be more consistent and become a genuine contender? Yes. Possibly lol.

Timmah

Staff member
T-Rex? Quiet on Saturday?

Were we watching different games? Thought he continued his good form of late.

Apart from that nit-pick (sorry), I like your analysis.

lafai

Bench
I might re-watch it lol I just remember Addo-Carr punching the ball out when T-Rex made the break and that being called a knock-on

Dogs Of War

Coach
I'm still on the fence. Though signs are looking good that we are building well. Just need to get a bit fitter so we stop fading towards the end of games.

Whoosh

Juniors
We are ahead of where I thought we might be after some early performances (Canberra x 2). I don't see why we can't be considered a real chance.

Timmah

Staff member
Cowboys trolls winning in the Bulldogs section too.

See you again in a month or so at Belmore. Won't be as easy then.

drago brelli

Bench
canterbury with their money, resources, big name coaches and ability sign players have been the biggest under achievers over the past 5 yrs.

Timmah

Staff member
A premiership would've been nice but I don't see how two grand finals, finals every year since 2012 is underachieving. Achieving that sort of consistency in a salary capped league is a pretty reasonable effort IMO. A premiership isn't far away either.

As for underachieving, looked at the Dragons lately? :joy::joy:

Barkley

Bench
A premiership would've been nice but I don't see how two grand finals, finals every year since 2012 is underachieving. Achieving that sort of consistency in a salary capped league is a pretty reasonable effort IMO. A premiership isn't far away either.

I don't think the Dragons are underachieving.....overachieving if anything.

Do you know where your at now?

Timmah

Staff member
Still fourth and still with another chance to take down the Cowboys.

Had a bad night. Next?

drago brelli

Bench

There's two salary caps. Dogs have maxed out the first and are doing ok with the second.

Timmah

Staff member
Outstanding diversion there.

We were crap on Thursday, Dragons have been crap all year and will be again next Friday.

Have fun with your anger at Doust's letter.

drago brelli

Bench
What you have written there i can't argue against, except for the Doust letter. I have no opinion on Doust, I leave that to those bitter & twisted, rusted on Dragons ppl.