What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for Moylan to 5/8

If we had a Tedesco, a Boyd, a Coote or even a Dugan to put up the back I'd agree with you.

Can someone sprinkle magic dust on DWZ and make him a fullback, please?

Waqa Blake with Moylan's hands , now that'd be a fullback!

Won't give up on Hardaker though.

maple_69

Bench
I think DWZ should get the crack. He hasn't been killing it but maybe a switch to his preferred position will fire him up. He certainly showed he could be very good there before his lung crapped out last year. Edwards can get up to speed on the wing and switch next season if we want to end the DWZ experiment.

Anyone watching Fox tonight would have heard Brandy say Moylan wants to play 5/8. Needs to happen soon or he will leave imo

mxlegend99

Referee
He's too small and weak for fullback. If he doesnt have a support runner he gets monstered on kick returns.

He tries his best to remove it from the equation. But the side would be better with 3 kick return options.

He won't leave though. He is a god here

He's too small and weak for fullback. If he doesnt have a support runner he gets monstered on kick returns.

He tries his best to remove it from the equation. But the side would be better with 3 kick return options.

He won't leave though. He is a god here

I could see him being dropped if we develop a better fullback , seriously.

He just won't survive there long term.

So if he got an offer to play 5/8 I could easily see him leave.

Pomoz

Bench
I could see him being dropped if we develop a better fullback , seriously.

He just won't survive there long term.

So if he got an offer to play 5/8 I could easily see him leave.
I hate to say it, because I love the bloke, but I have to agree. He just doesn't have the power or pace at fullback to set up the start of our sets in good field position. He is a brilliant passer and sees space better than most. Also a very cool customer under pressure. I would love to see him at 5/8 or hooker, playing a Smith style game. He can beef up a bit to help his defence and he could be a revelation at dummy half. Then TMM can play 5/8th and we have a spot for what looks like a very talented fb in Edwards. I'm not sure our salary cap could cope to be honest, that is a lot of talent in the spine if Edwards, Cleary and Martin fulfil their potential.

mxlegend99

Referee
I also think TMM could be a utility and become a hooker. He's a ball runner with a good build and defence. We have no hooking options that stand out as the obvious 9 for our future. So id love to see TMM and Peachey trialed there. I think one or both could be successful there.

Hell hooker would be easier for TMM to develop in first grade IMO

abpanther

Staff member
I have seen absolutely nothing to excite me about Hardaker, he looks really thin and seems to get monstered in every tackle. Maybe he needs some time to acclimatise but to me he looks like nothing more than depth

I really wish DWZ would should something but he looks the same as he has to me for the past 12 months, runs straight and hard but that's about it.

Agree if Blake could fix his hands he would be a revelation back there the way he glides across the field

I haven'ts seen much of Edwards but maybe he's the answer?

Copperhead

Juniors
I also think TMM could be a utility and become a hooker. He's a ball runner with a good build and defence. We have no hooking options that stand out as the obvious 9 for our future. So id love to see TMM and Peachey trialed there. I think one or both could be successful there.

Hell hooker would be easier for TMM to develop in first grade IMO

You need to take another look. TMM is very lightly framed, throwing him into hooker would be the end of him. Really terrible idea.

martielang

Bench
I disagree that Moylan can't stay at 1. At rep level, I agree that there's better options but for us he can easily do the job.

TMM is a tremendous prospect, can't believe people are already ready to let him move on.

mxlegend99

Referee
You need to take another look. TMM is very lightly framed, throwing him into hooker would be the end of him. Really terrible idea.
Hes 4cm taller and 4kg heavier than Peter Wallace and his body is still developing.

Theres a lot slimmer builds then him running around at hooker and he's going to fill out. If his body isn't up to it at hooker he's not going to be up for it at half either. He's going to get the big blokes running at him in either position.

Part of playing that position would also be developing to play it. He's going to need to add muscle to his frame regardless. But he has a good build to work with. He could probably get himself fit for any position.

I disagree that Moylan can't stay at 1. At rep level, I agree that there's better options but for us he can easily do the job.

TMM is a tremendous prospect, can't believe people are already ready to let him move on.

Few weeks ago Moylan had one line break for the whole season , that's pathetic for a fullback. I would say the reason we get away with him there is Mansour makes up for him. A fullbacks major role is kick returns and his lack of pace & lack of size puts us at a disadvantage.

Re TMM , I don't think people want to see him move on , they want to see the best option at 5/8. A mature player with 50+ NRL games , great hands , great vision Vs another kid with potential. This is a no brainer for me.

murraymob

Coach
love the coaches in here. No matter what position Moylan plays it will be wrong in here. Moylan is our best fullback why shift him .If you leave TMM out because he is a so called project player how can you bring Edwards in he also is a project player
We don't need to change much our squad is good just needs fine tuning

mxlegend99

Referee
love the coaches in here. No matter what position Moylan plays it will be wrong in here. Moylan is our best fullback why shift him .If you leave TMM out because he is a so called project player how can you bring Edwards in he also is a project player
We don't need to change much our squad is good just needs fine tuning
You don't think a fullback needs to be good in his kick returns? Moylan uses DWZ and Mansour everytime they are available. If he runs it he tends to lose metres.

He's not as great under the high ball as he was when he first came in either. Why do you need to be a coach to see those as pretty big weaknesses in a fullback?

Look at his strengths and weaknesses and tell me which position he ticks more boxes in. Which position does he have more shortcomings in?

He's still a terrific player and a key ingredient to our attack. But I think our attack is a lot better off withba stronger ball runner returning kicks and Moylan doing the same job from the halves.

Not that it matters. Griffin has made it pretty clear it's never happening. And he's the only one who has any say.