What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Pommy

Coach
an outer suburb aye? if it's ok for Penrith to have their own full-time team, then so should the Liverpool-Macarthur area.

For once we agree this area is a real growth area for families who've been priced out of the housing market elsewhere. If the NRL had any vision they would be trying to do something in the area. There's new housing developments everywhere.

alien

Referee
I know there is a 99.99% chance of it not happening, but if Balmain was bought by that billionaire supporter Harry Triguboff and he wanted Balmain to stand alone in the NRL, the NRL might actually allow it if they agreed to relocate to Gosford.

The Great Dane

First Grade
If the brand means nothing to them then it will make no difference whether they take that of a new one.

The value in maintaining the brand is in Sydney, not just to please on Balmain fans but all NRL fans. The team your side is playing against matters probably more than just getting to see your own side. We care about the the clash; its why SOuths fans go on mass to their game against the Bulldogs but will not turn up for the match against the Titans.

I dont expect an older brand to help in the new region (but i doubt it would hurt either) and it would add more value to the comp more generally.

(Plus, if they are given a heritage brand, i reckon they are less likely to f*ck around and change jumpers every few months...)

That's just the problem though!

If a team is going to be based in Perth it should be for the people of Perth and have the teams success in Perth be it's foremost priority, not pandering to what's left of it's old fanbase (that's what their NSWcup team would be for, BTW no offence to the old fanbase lol), and a brand that both loosely represents Perth/WA and is marketable should be found to represent them, correct me if I'm wrong but tigers simply aren't that brand.

Also it will negatively affect the club (and by extension it's fans) because if the Tigers brand does move to Perth the first thing coming out of the media and opposition fans (both in RL and in other sports) will be how there're not really Perths' club, and the second thing will be a constant barrage of articles and suggestions that the Tigers will be moving home to Sydney every time they start to not go so well. Don't believe me just look at the Swans before they got successful, or the Lions before they won their hat trick of "flags" (even now they still get the odd jab), or go have a look at the Oakland Raiders and LA Rams existence, even we the Raiders still get the odd "Queanbeyan Raiders" jab from detractors (though admittedly that's not quite the same).
Those sorts of rumors and articles and the uncertainty they create can have a massive effect on support, especially for such a raw supporters group in a developmental market like Perth I'd imagine.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't be opposed to the Tigers keeping their brand if they moved over to Perth, or anywhere else for that matter, as there're positives to keeping their old brand just as there are negatives to creating a new one, it's just for mine the positives to changing brands outweigh the negatives.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Frankly if the people of Campbelltown want to watch live NRL they don't have to far to travel to see it, they're basically right in the middle of the most over saturated market for RL in the world, and apart from access to the Sydney market (which we've already got with out them) they don't really add anything to the NRL.

The juniors from their area can still be maintained without an NRL club based in Cambelltown, by themselves they don't add a great deal to the TV rights value, and there isn't a great wealth of sponsorship money coming out of Cambelltown that is only interested if a team is based in Cambelltown, and even if all of those things were in Cambelltown they could still be directly accessed by other clubs in Sydney, of which their are plenty.

How ever there certainly should be a Cambelltown club in the Sydney competition and maybe even the state league, but not the national league.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Frankly if the people of Campbelltown want to watch live NRL they don't have to far to travel to see it, they're basically right in the middle of the most over saturated market for RL in the world, and apart from access to the Sydney market (which we've already got with out them) they don't really add anything to the NRL.

The juniors from their area can still be maintained without an NRL club based in Cambelltown, by themselves they don't add a great deal to the TV rights value, and there isn't a great wealth of sponsorship money coming out of Cambelltown that is only interested if a team is based in Cambelltown, and even if all of those things were in Cambelltown they could still be directly accessed by other clubs in Sydney, of which their are plenty.

How ever there certainly should be a Cambelltown club in the Sydney competition and maybe even the state league, but not the national league.

I always find it funny when people say Brisbane cannot handle another team, they are a united city, blah blah.

But when it comes to Sydney, nothing short of a team in every suburb will suffice...

BuffaloRules

Coach
Can someone explain why Wests Ashfield, a not for profit club who now own 75 per cent of the Tigers would move the club 4,000 kms away?

Reactions: siv

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
That's just the problem though!

If a team is going to be based in Perth it should be for the people of Perth and have the teams success in Perth be it's foremost priority, not pandering to what's left of it's old fanbase (that's what their NSWcup team would be for, BTW no offence to the old fanbase lol), and a brand that both loosely represents Perth/WA and is marketable should be found to represent them, correct me if I'm wrong but tigers simply aren't that brand.

Also it will negatively affect the club (and by extension it's fans) because if the Tigers brand does move to Perth the first thing coming out of the media and opposition fans (both in RL and in other sports) will be how there're not really Perths' club, and the second thing will be a constant barrage of articles and suggestions that the Tigers will be moving home to Sydney every time they start to not go so well. Don't believe me just look at the Swans before they got successful, or the Lions before they won their hat trick of "flags" (even now they still get the odd jab), or go have a look at the Oakland Raiders and LA Rams existence, even we the Raiders still get the odd "Queanbeyan Raiders" jab from detractors (though admittedly that's not quite the same).
Those sorts of rumors and articles and the uncertainty they create can have a massive effect on support, especially for such a raw supporters group in a developmental market like Perth I'd imagine.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't be opposed to the Tigers keeping their brand if they moved over to Perth, or anywhere else for that matter, as there're positives to keeping their old brand just as there are negatives to creating a new one, it's just for mine the positives to changing brands outweigh the negatives.

While this is a fair point, we are going to get this regardless of the teams logo...

Every so often, we still get a "Storm moving to the Central Coast?" or "Titans headed for Brisbane" headline, even though these clubs were never based there.

Once the hype of a new Perth team dies away, we will consistantly get "WC headed for Brisbane" until they reach Broncos-level success. And if a Perth team is introduced the year after a sydney team dies, no one will miss that connection regardless of name change. The articles will just read "Pirates out, Tigers coming back".

I think the benefits of the Tigers brand on in Perth will far outweigh the negatives.

(Having said that though, as long as we get a team in Perth id be happy. The brand is just toppings...)

alien

Referee

the liverpool macarthur area should definitely have it's own fulltime nrl club, and fact you think otherwise shows your ignorance of the area

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
the liverpool macarthur area should definitely have it's own fulltime nrl club, and fact you think otherwise shows your ignorance of the area

Given the NRL doesnt seem likely to expand, i think it is far more pressing to have 1 team in Perth and a 9th team in Syndey based in an outer suburb...

I agree that SW Sydney is important; i think the ARLC should take charge of junior development then leave the Eels, Panthers and Bulldogs to fight for the hearts of fans.

But in an outer Sydney suburb, when there are 8 other options in the same city and another option in Wollongong, a team on doorstep of a Macarthur resident is not the No.1 issue.

alien

Referee
Given the NRL doesnt seem likely to expand, i think it is far more pressing to have 1 team in Perth and a 9th team in Syndey based in an outer suburb...

I agree that SW Sydney is important; i think the ARLC should take charge of junior development then leave the Eels, Panthers and Bulldogs to fight for the hearts of fans.

But in an outer Sydney suburb, when there are 8 other options in the same city and another option in Wollongong, a team on doorstep of a Macarthur resident is not the No.1 issue.

it's not just some small suburb

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
it's not just some small suburb

I never said it was small. I said it was a suburb on the far edge of the city, a city with 8 (read it, EIGHT!!) other teams...

We have a city of RL fanatics with only 1 team in Brisbane. We have a market of 2 million in Perth with nothing. The entire country of NZ only has 1 team!!!

Yet you think a suburb on the fringe of a city with 8 other teams needs its own one more then anywhere else??

Pommy

Coach
I never said it was small. I said it was a suburb on the far edge of the city, a city with 8 (read it, EIGHT!!) other teams...

We have a city of RL fanatics with only 1 team in Brisbane. We have a market of 2 million in Perth with nothing. The entire country of NZ only has 1 team!!!

Yet you think a suburb on the fringe of a city with 8 other teams needs its own one more then anywhere else??

I would be happy for the NRL to subsidise Tigers the money they make playing at ANZ to play those games in Campbeltown at least for a few years and see how things go.

Marlins

Juniors
Why would the tigers move before clubs with less support like easts and manly.
The NRL won't take Easys away for two reasons
1. They have over a hundred years of history
2. Easts are the only club to be permanently at SFS they will always want a team their.

Manly should be in the NSW cup IMO. I'd rather see NSB or a Perth team or2nd NZ side

T-Boon

Coach
The NRL won't take Easys away for two reasons
1. They have over a hundred years of history
2. Easts are the only club to be permanently at SFS they will always want a team their.

Manly should be in the NSW cup IMO. I'd rather see NSB or a Perth team or2nd NZ side

I'd move the Roosters to Wellington, Panthers to Perth, Sharks to Adelaide and Tigers to Brisbane and create a brand new Sydney team based out of the SFS aimed to have a broader appeal than the Rooster. But I would have all of these historic sydney teams in a Sydney conference so that they play each other twice every year (and the other non Sydney teams once).

Marlins

Juniors
I've read alot on hear about ppl wanting to move the chooks to Wellington I get the name thing 'Eastern Roosters' but would that be throwing away there history and would there fan base in Sydney accept that they are based in NZ