What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taylor as a coach

BrotherJim05

Bench
I agree that we can't carry Halutau in the 17 any more. Farah can play 80. Save the interchange to bring Felise on. I really like this kid and think he will get even better with a season under his belt.
Not having 80 min 2nd rowers gives further weighting to why we need Farah back playing 80. Lawrence is damn close to be an 80 min player though.
I know Lovett has had some bad patches but I he actually goes alright in the middle and has a good motor. He's not an impact player but if you need someone to cover Aloai or Taylor when they come off he is your man

In regards to the game, it was amazing to see Naiqama defensive rushes actually shut down plays. There were 3 or 4 times I thought "here we go again" but he actually shat the Panthers up nice a good he did.

I think we are a decent centre and back rower away from being a serious title contender

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kev moved with Moses.

It was still sketchy as f**k but an improvement nonetheless.

So this afternoon, Taylor has just pleased all Parra supporters by guaranteeing that the news tonight will speak about him and the Tigers first, what a fool, Taylor as a coach can be described as,

A fool, studying to becoming an idiot and expected to top his class :D

Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe said Farah’s time out of the team is what is best for the side in coming rounds.

“This decision was purely made on what the coach believes is the best for the 80 minutes against St George Illawarra on Sunday,” Pascoe said in a report published by Fairfax.

“I would think Robbie is bitterly disappointed but he will commit and work as hard as he has throughout his career to get himself back in the NRL team.

“Every sporting club employs a coach to chose the best team they believe will give them the best winning chance each week. This is and never will be a board or CEO decision.”

The decision was made after Taylor decided Farah was incompatable with the halves and restricted the team’s chances at success on the field.

Taylor’s move was met with strong opposition on social media with fans coming to the defence of the Tigers veteran.

Is best for the 80 minutes against St George, WTF does that mean when for x rounds he has thought it best for the team to have Halatau or Taylor at 9, Moses and Kev defending together, Rankin on the wing etc etc

Taylor decided Farah was incompatible with the halves - like isn't the job of the coach is to ensure that players in particular positions are compatible with not just their team mates as players within the team but position wise but again, let's play Halatau who for 20 minutes will be compatible by providing slow and inaccurate service to those same halves and then play Taylor there who will also provide service that may be described as incompatible with the halves.

Stuff this club and pathetic management

Eddie Lab

Juniors
I agree Robbie isn't at the peak of his form but no one could argue that a combination of Taylor/Halatau is a better option. we don't have another option at this point and we still have a very faint shot at finishing 9th.

also Robbie is 3 games away from 250 games played for the Wests Tigers. if Jason/the club cheats him out of this accomplishment because of politics I will be very disappointed.

dumpy

Juniors
I have always been of the opinion that the coach would pick the best team possible. Is it not about winning anymore and possibly making the 8. How in the hell could anyone possibly consider Dene Halatau or Elijah Taylor a better hooker proposition than the current 80 minute SOO hooker is beyond belief. The only possible excuse is that Taylor is still suffering from concussion when snotted by that rabbit player. Even the rabbit management saw the error in their ways and quickly sacked Taylor.
Taylor is so besotted with Farah that it has not dawned on him that the right side has little to no defence and defence was going to be his major task. He said that you can judge him in the second half on defence last year. Result:- Failed miserably.
Taylor was appointed coach by the board that clearly contained some members that do not know the difference between a rugby league ball and an ice vo vo. This explains a lot.
How they can possibly sit idle by whilst this saga plays out in the public arena solely brought on by Taylor defies belief. We are treating a club legend with utter disrespect and the non involvement of the board sadly indicates their backing the coach. It appears that the board does not give two hoots about sponsors and the poor fans.
Pascoe said Farah's axing has ruined the clubs plan to celebrate Farah's 250 game against the Cowboys at Leichhardt. A golden opportunity to reward a club legend but his axing is not personal according to Taylor, CRAP!
If it were not for Farah having a cup of coffee with Tedesco, he would be a raider now. Can you imagine how wests Tigers would be going without Tedesco. Horrifying eh! The recruitment rabble had already given up and moved on, this does not say much for the management.
Taylor cannot be blamed for the contract options hugely in favour of the player to be fair to him.

Tiger05

First Grade
How in the hell could anyone possibly consider Dene Halatau or Elijah Taylor a better hooker proposition than the current 80 minute SOO hooker is beyond belief.

This sums it up for me. Taylor is a master coach. We should name him guru.

BrotherJim05

Bench
If we lose against the Dragons then Taylor's days are numbered. I think we will see Halutau/Cherrington or Liddle combo. If Taylor plays ET at 9 then he is a f**king spastic

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, Liddle will supposedly put us over our second tier cap of $3.75

Meanwhile Newcastle must have a second tier cap of around $3.75 million

Cherrington is on the outer as well it seems.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Total number of players used up until the end of last Round.
Newcastle 34
Warriors 33
Souths 31
Tigers 30
Roosters, Manly 29
Penrith, Titans 28
Parramatta, Melbourne 27
Bulldogs, Dragons 26
Cowboys, Canberra, Brisbane 25
Cronulla 24

I've only found pieces about the Dragons and Tigers at the second tier limit. One piece briefly mentioned Manly back in April.

How are the Warriors, Souths and Knights still under the second tier cap?

Ned Kelly

Juniors
I assume that our astute coach while poring over video of games Robbie played in looking for errors also took note at the amount of times he (Taylor) made errors in his decisions that all members of the commentary team questioned and couldn't understand that played a huge role in us losing games.

Scrutiny of our last year and a half would show clearly Taylor played a much bigger part in our losses and should be dropped. Not to reserve grade but from the NRL altogether.

Tigerm

First Grade
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...h/news-story/949abb079d371c74c86843a9015f9e51

Wests Tigers coach Jason Taylor empathises with dropped hooker Robbie Farah

JASON Taylor empathises with embattled Wests Tigers star Robbie Farah, recalling how he wrote letters to coaches begging for another shot in the NRL when he was axed from first grade in his own playing days.

Farah was named for his second reserve grade game in as many weeks on Saturday, but has since pulled out with calf strain.

Taylor on Friday admitted he felt for the out-of-favour hooker.

“I was dropped to reserve grade a few times through my career and that gives you an understanding and an empathy for the players that are going through it,” said the Tigers coach.

Taylor remembered how he was controversially dropped by Northern Eagles coach Peter Sharp late in 2000, ending what was then a record 194 consecutive games in first grade.

a21b7d248ba22b0bee4420f9953d329d

Jason Taylor during a game for the Northern Eagles in 2000. Picture: Mark EvansSource: News Corp Australia

It stood almost 15 years before it was broken by Gold Coast prop Luke Douglas in 2014.

But despite the setback, Taylor, in the twilight of his career, swallowed his pride and begged for another opportunity to stay in the NRL.

Then-Parramatta coach Brian Smith threw the point-scoring halfback a lifeline, and was rewarded with Taylor helping the club to its first grand final in 16 years.

“My career was pretty much at an end and you might remember I actually sat down and wrote letters to some NRL coaches to try and get a start the following year,” Taylor said.

“Brian Smith gave me an opportunity and I ended up playing in that grand final. You never know what’s around the corner and often it can be a really positive outcome.”

a38a9a8dd7c5d2cc41a1936ae4193ffc

Robbie Farah in action for the Wests Tigers in reserve grade. Picture: Tim Hunter.Source: News Corp Australia
Taylor praised Farah for putting in a strong performance for the club’s NSW Cup team in what was an emotional week for the 2005 premiership winner.

“As Robbie tweeted last week, the toughest times that you go through, those are the ones that determine where you’re going to get to in life,” he said.

“It hurts at first, but you bounce back up and you get on with it. Robbie did that really well last week and I was very impressed by that.”

Farah, 32, has already been linked with a move out of Concord, but Taylor said he was unaware of any negotiations that would lead to the hooker’s departure.

“Robbie’s got a contract for next year at this stage. That stuff will happen, I’d assume, but I don’t know anything about it,” he said.

Not sure what this is all about, maybe trying to get the sympathy vote? Will be interesting read when the book comes out.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like Taylor has been told to pull his head in and stop this bullshit with Farah. By coming across as caring makes it pretty tough to look like a merkin now, which also means if Farah whinges or complains now, it only ruins his image further.

Tiger05

First Grade
Sounds like Taylor has been told to pull his head in and stop this bullshit with Farah. By coming across as caring makes it pretty tough to look like a merkin now, which also means if Farah whinges or complains now, it only ruins his image further.

If we keep winning games it becomes a non-issue. The problem is that I think we are a better team with Robbie in the team.

As for Taylor being told to pull his head in I have no idea what you are on but that is another dumb comment. Taylor appears to have complete control of the team. I assume that if we don't do well this year and next he will be sacked but he appears to have the right to do whatever he wants.

Latest posts