What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NYC scrapped!!

johnny plath

Juniors
Why are they scrapping the U16 comp? Seems like a pretty balanced format that they ran with in 2016

Why does rugby league enjoy scrapping competitions so regularly?
Don't know how true, but been told so that they can expand the u20s to a state wide comp. Talk of trialling u18s and u20s in a similar format to this years u16/18s comp, ie about a ten week comp. then transition to a full blown state 20s the following year. Be nice if someone with authority could one day soon enlighten us plebs that just keep hanging on though.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Don't know how true, but been told so that they can expand the u20s to a state wide comp. Talk of trialling u18s and u20s in a similar format to this years u16/18s comp, ie about a ten week comp. then transition to a full blown state 20s the following year. Be nice if someone with authority could one day soon enlighten us plebs that just keep hanging on though.

That's a bit odd, so would there be no U16 reps at all? Seems to me that would only lead to a kids leaving regions earlier to get into rep systems at that age group

johnny plath

Juniors
Just back to the state carnival for u16 rep foot y....its weak as piss if it happens this way. ...qrl need to strengthen their junior rep systems not weaken them. If you follow the under age stuff i think qld is really going backwards

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Just back to the state carnival for u16 rep foot y....its weak as piss if it happens this way. ...qrl need to strengthen their junior rep systems not weaken them. If you follow the under age stuff i think qld is really going backwards

Odd that there has apparently never been so much money coming into the game yet everybody is looki g to cut costs

In this case it doesnt make sense to me. Surely having the regional groups like they did this year for u16 and u18 was massive cost saving in itself by limiting the travelling. If they simply add a u20 group to that 10 week regional format it would be a massively strong rep strucutre. The current full season FOGS colts could then morph into the NRL/QRL branded comp i mentioned earlier with the rep system feeding directly into the these sides I.e the 3 QLD NRL sides, Melbourne, PNG and 3 regional academies (Central qld, Ipswich-toowoomba, south qld)

siv

First Grade
There seems to a money power game going on between the NRL and the grassroots

This is where the ARLC needs to show its muscle

And dedicate X% to everything below the NRL elite competitions

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Because the money doesn't leave the NRL. There is no funding for anything below.

Grant is on record as having admitted as much and that there will be a massive increase when the new tv deal begins. Not sure if that will be 2017 or 2018 that the state bodies and grassroots will see a cash injection. Before I penny is given to the governing bodies below ARLC I would want to see some sort of agreed national plan on pathways and strategic objectives, so that the money is not just pissed away down the drain

BestHookerRein

Juniors
It should be:

NYC... If you're smashing that, you go to NSW Cup/QLD Cup.... If you're smashing that, NRL, similiar to the Presidents Cup/ Reserve Grade/ Winfield Cup days.

Stewbum

Juniors
It should be:

NYC... If you're smashing that, you go to NSW Cup/QLD Cup.... If you're smashing that, NRL, similiar to the Presidents Cup/ Reserve Grade/ Winfield Cup days.

Qld will never submit to such a return. Our proud clubs fight on, and but for delay in legalisation of poker machines in Queensland your "NRL" would feature Cronulla vs Redcliffe, or an amalgam in Sydney the likes of which I doubt your state could bear. The Sydney Broncos vs the Sydney Titans. Yes, I like that.

BestHookerRein

Juniors
No what I meant, if you get promoted as a player from NYC, you go to wherever your affiliate reserve side is.

Couldn't stand an amalgamation of competitions. Three QLD sides are enough in the NRL, four if you include melbourne

Stewbum

Juniors
No what I meant, if you get promoted as a player from NYC, you go to wherever your affiliate reserve side is.

Couldn't stand an amalgamation of competitions. Three QLD sides are enough in the NRL, four if you include melbourne

That is the present system though? Or are you simply pointing that out to someone?

My father-in-law and I argue over who's a "Redcliffe" player being pinched by the Broncos if the kid played NYC first for the Broncos, then First grade for Redcliffe.

You can have your comp if you want though. Please kick them out! There's more money in Redcliffe Leagues Club than all three Qld NRL clubs combined.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Not sure where siv got it but I read it here.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...l/news-story/c084437904da62c3e9f831e585789d24

“Remember our expansion strategy is around State cups. With the NYC (under-20s) ending at the end of 2017 that’s around 400 players coming out of there and going into the NSW and Qld Cups and a few into the NRL.”

Thanks. amazing that if the end is only 12 months away that we haven't had any official releases on number of teams, new sides, how.many games etc.... if Fiji, Christchurch are going to be involved then surely they need the official nod now to get things in order.

siv

First Grade
QRL have put their cards on the table

State wide U18 and U20 for 9 weeks

U16 to revert to gala day format across a weekend and U14 added

CC_Roosters

First Grade
QRL have put their cards on the table

State wide U18 and U20 for 9 weeks

U16 to revert to gala day format across a weekend and U14 added

U20 is 9 weeks for 2017 only. I suspect in 2018 with the NYC is no more, their will be a full season U20 colts in parallel with the Qcup

siv

First Grade
U20 is 9 weeks for 2017 only. I suspect in 2018 with the NYC is no more, their will be a full season U20 colts in parallel with the Qcup

What they are doing in 2017 is
- u20s state wide 9 weeks

Then u20s reverts to a BRL colts u20s for rest of the season

franklin2323

Immortal
Except that the playing talent will be diluted..4 nrl clubs players spread around 16 qld state clubs..the competition will be nowhere near the strength of the nsw equivalent so development will suffer. The nsw comp will be strong with all being nrl clubs and systems but i think the qld version is going to be pretty mediocre

Blame the stupid CEO's wanting the change for that

CC_Roosters

First Grade
How would they structure a full season Qld colts from 2018? Could we see a survival of the fittest scenario, were those that can afford to and compete on the field of the Qcup teams are fielding sides alongside the Broncos, Cowboys, Titans and Melbourne?

Latest posts