What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Re-Sign Dufty

Minh

First Grade
Years and years ago I used to go bushwalking with a club and on one walk a young bloke named Jonathan Docking came along. Honestly he looked that small and thin I never pictured him playing league, but he made Cronullas first grade side that year and ended up representing the state. He did alright, Dufty can too.

Docking was a great little player. I had a similar meeting with Brett Hodgson, he was tiny and literally small and weedly looking, but I had so much respect for him just quietly thinking this little guy takes on 110kg plus behemoths and killed it, a terrific player.

Old Timer

Coach
Docking was a great little player. I had a similar meeting with Brett Hodgson, he was tiny and literally small and weedly looking, but I had so much respect for him just quietly thinking this little guy takes on 110kg plus behemoths and killed it, a terrific player.
Hi Minh

FB has always been a position that attracted little guys.

Clive Churchill, Bob Batty, Eric Simms, Les Johns, even Golden Boots Barnes and Changa were not very big and many FB's played at between 12 -13 stone (75 - 85 kgs)

A big man back then was still a very big man Provan, Huddart, Ryan, Kearney, Mossop, Day, O'Neil, Beetson, Watson to name just a few.

TheRev

First Grade
Good that they have made a call.. if hes now starting NSW Cup Fullback, then its a huge step up, if Dugan gets one of his numerous injuries, Dufty could potentially do an entire season in 1st grade next year.

I know im not the only one wondering if he was worth trialling at 5/8 instead, but hopefully the coaching staff will work out what will work best for the kid's development.

He won't play NRL this year.

Next year is different he may get a go on the wing at the start and with Dugans contract up he may take his place.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Great news, well done Dragons.
I'd be starting this kid on the wing next year, hopefully he'll have a smooth transition to fullback. The backs are starting to look ok. Milne looks like an athlete, he has a bit of cockiness too which is what we need. Mann is improving.

Junior Dragon

Juniors
Great work by the dragons. Now that we have resigned him, what would your backline look like for next year? Mine would be:
1) Dufty
2) Milne
3) Dugan
4) Aitken
5) Nightingale
6) Mann
7) Widdop

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Great news, well done Dragons.
I'd be starting this kid on the wing next year, hopefully he'll have a smooth transition to fullback. The backs are starting to look ok. Milne looks like an athlete, he has a bit of cockiness too which is what we need. Mann is improving.

Yeah, I agree with this.

He just needs to bulk up just a little, he's currently 179cm/80kg's and just to compare:

Munster - 185/89 (2nd season)
Trbojevic - 194/102 (2nd season)
Coote - 179/85
Tedesco - 180/93
Boyd - 184/95

I think he could put on another 5-7kg with a full season training/playing in the up grades will see him in good stead for 2018, I don't think that would decrease his speed in any way either.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Great work by the dragons. Now that we have resigned him, what would your backline look like for next year? Mine would be:
1) Dufty
2) Milne
3) Dugan
4) Aitken
5) Nightingale
6) Mann
7) Widdop

It depends who is coach!
And there may be a few more signing/upgrades to consider, but I think if Dufty gets a go, he would start his career on the wing, just like Trboyevic and even Minichello.

watatank

Coach
The decision to keep him seemed pretty straightforward to me, glad to see the club got it done.

Up to Dufty from here. He's the only fullback signed past 2017 so he has a great opportunity to make that spot his own. Hope he has the same opportunities that Quinlan has had in first grade

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Hi Minh

FB has always been a position that attracted little guys.

Clive Churchill, Bob Batty, Eric Simms, Les Johns, even Golden Boots Barnes and Changa were not very big and many FB's played at between 12 -13 stone (75 - 85 f themkgs)

A big man back then was still a very big man Provan, Huddart, Ryan, Kearney, Mossop, Day, O'Neil, Beetson, Watson to name just a few.
What great players each and everone one of them. Got to see some play but wish I had seen provan play. Why is he not a immortal ill never no. Thanks for the memories old timer.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
It is good that Millward is taking his orders from this forum. Next signing must be Leilua hopefully this week.
Yea easy to claim the easy re-signs but another thing to retain the juniors who are being chased hard by other clubs. We had a professional recruitment officer but ditched him to allow Millward to slide out of the assistant coach position - attacking coach - where he again was a miserable failure.

Leilua is could be the next best thing for the Dragons; on par with Bird. Surely he should be a top priority and must be signed immediately.

However, nothing but a change in the coaching staff will lift the team to a level that Dragon fans would be happy with. I only hope that once the WIN TV take over deal is completed, governance of our famous Club will return to a more professional level.

Dragonscales

Juniors
Kurt Mann struggled with week-in-week-out rugby league at Melbourne when he was playing at 83kgs, he had to take weeks off 1st grade. Greg Inglis had to move into the halves because fullback was too physically demanding. Matt Dufty is listed at 80kgs but i don't doubt that he is probably around 78kgs. He needs to get bigger to be effective playing a whole 26 rounds. He could definitely play out the year though.

Examples from 50 (or even 15) years ago don't matter as players have gotten bigger, tougher and the game is more physically grueling.

Dufty has to put on 5kgs before 2017 if he plans on playing the whole season.

SOURCE: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/0308c1d1b17b3cd97160e134c76cba36

Latest posts