What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 scheduling

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Fri 6pm (game in NZ 8pm kick off every week)
Fri 8pm

Sat 2pm
Sat4pm
Sat6pm
Sat 8pm (if and when a Brisbane and Perth team are admitted alternative with sun 6pm for Perth home games. This would be be Broncos or brisbane2 regular time slot)

Sun 2pm
Sun 4pm
Sun 6pm (WA 4pm Ko of pirates home games upon expansion)
Still not perfect but damn site more fan friendly
I don't get it. Is this a 19 team comp?

And what if the NZ team (assuming Warriors or Orcas for the sake of the discussion) doesn't want Fridays or gets shit crowds for it?

Actually if you read my post again you will notice I have said when they play at home.

I did read your post. As I said, the Warriors only get 12 home games, hence which "lucky" team/s get the 6pm slot the other 14 weeks of the season?

There is no point suggesting The Warriors alone as it does not fill all the slots for the whole season at all. Further, as Timmah said, what if the Warriors don't want 8pm (local time) every Friday? I mean I'm sure they would wind up clashing with Super Rugby on a few occasions if you adhered to this, which would have a negative impact on their crowds.

LineBall

Juniors
I did read your post. As I said, the Warriors only get 12 home games, hence which "lucky" team/s get the 6pm slot the other 14 weeks of the season?

There is no point suggesting The Warriors alone as it does not fill all the slots for the whole season at all. Further, as Timmah said, what if the Warriors don't want 8pm (local time) every Friday? I mean I'm sure they would wind up clashing with Super Rugby on a few occasions if you adhered to this, which would have a negative impact on their crowds.

You'd think regarding improving crowds, that the Warriors would be trying to get as many day games as possible due to the weather. Same with Canberra.

Sleep

Juniors
In any case I'm sure we'll see some teams play each other twice in the first four weeks of the season while others won't play at all till the last round or two.

It'd be nice if the games didn't kick off at midnight as well.

Diesel

Referee
The Warriors get a lot of fans travelling from north of Auckland, Waikato (1:15 hrs drive to Mt Smart) and Bay of Plenty (2:30-3:30 hrs). To assume all Warriors fans live in Auckland is foolish and playing all games at 8pm Friday nights is far from family friendly. You're pretty much giving Union a massive leg up (which they don't need) with an 8pm timeslot.

LineBall

Juniors
Night games should be 7:30 pm kick off at the latest. 7:00 pm would be ideal. Origin is a case in point in how ridiculous a late night kick off time is.

GW.

Juniors
GW here,

If Fox are looking fior a FNF game at 6pm, wouldnt that directly cannibalize the fanbase for the super rugby slot at the same time?

Diesel

Referee
Night games should be 7:30 pm kick off at the latest. 7:00 pm would be ideal. Origin is a case in point in how ridiculous a late night kick off time is.
Yeah but they treat regular games as origins with 8:05 KO's

Incorrect

Coach

I've been saying this for years. It just shows that the code holds their fans in contempt and are in servitude to the broadcasters by having games kicking off at 8:22-8:23 on a Wednesday night for Origin...

Here's the schedule I'd like to see;
Thursday Night - 7pm kickoff, followed by re-tooled Footy Show that reviews the game just played and previews the rest of the round
Friday Night - 7:30 kickoff
Saturday - kickoffs at 3, 5:30 and 7:30
Sunday - kickoffs at Midday, 2pm and 4pm

Sunday midday kickoff is worth a shot IMO, even in the eastern states of Australia - although not early in the season when it's still the tail end of summer, swicth that fixture to a 6:30pm Sunday slot for the first few rounds. But in the middle of winter, a midday kick off could work, people go to the game and grab a late lunch after the game.

The 6pm Friday slot will go the way of other ill-thought rugby league ideas like those bike pants with the padding in them that the Dagons players used to wear and try scorers kicking off like in Super League 1997... 1 year fads relegated to the annals of idiocy....

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't get it. Is this a 19 team comp?

And what if the NZ team (assuming Warriors or Orcas for the sake of the discussion) doesn't want Fridays or gets shit crowds for it?

This was based on the notion that Warriors play all their games in NZ, the away games at venues outside Auckland. Hence 18 teams 9 games. They need to make it work, I'm sure everybody would love to play at 3pm on a Sunday but that is unrealistic. At the moment there is no balance between TV wishes and fan friendly, we will never get full fan friendly so need a compromise. This was one I came up with. You could alternate the Broncos and new Brisbane teams games between Fri and Sat night to ensure there was always a game at suncorp every weekend.

johnny plath

Juniors
I posted this in another thread, but it probably sits better here now.
A genuine question for anyone who has an idea of how to quantify stuff, not trying to start a shit storm over tv coverage or scheduling. This season Broncos had no home daytime games, and think maybe one last season. I know the club and supporters would like some daytime footy at suncorp stadium. Meanwhile, Sydney teams, Raiders, Knights, and Warriors all seem to get a good proportion of Saturday and Sunday arvo games, Cowboys got a good proportion of their preferred Saturday night slot which suits fans.

My question is what brings a better financial reward to a club - FTA coverage, or home games in a consistent time that can build crowds and a footy culture. Is the benefit of FTA all its made out, or is there some real money to be made by consistent large home crowds. Surely its possible to come up with a schedule that best fits each teams individual needs and desires that strikes a balance between crowds and tv exposure..

LineBall

Juniors
I've been saying this for years. It just shows that the code holds their fans in contempt and are in servitude to the broadcasters by having games kicking off at 8:22-8:23 on a Wednesday night for Origin...

Here's the schedule I'd like to see;
Thursday Night - 7pm kickoff, followed by re-tooled Footy Show that reviews the game just played and previews the rest of the round
Friday Night - 7:30 kickoff
Saturday - kickoffs at 3, 5:30 and 7:30
Sunday - kickoffs at Midday, 2pm and 4pm

Sunday midday kickoff is worth a shot IMO, even in the eastern states of Australia - although not early in the season when it's still the tail end of summer, swicth that fixture to a 6:30pm Sunday slot for the first few rounds. But in the middle of winter, a midday kick off could work, people go to the game and grab a late lunch after the game.

The 6pm Friday slot will go the way of other ill-thought rugby league ideas like those bike pants with the padding in them that the Dagons players used to wear and try scorers kicking off like in Super League 1997... 1 year fads relegated to the annals of idiocy....

The only thing I don't like about that is still having a Thursday night game. Play a game on Friday and Saturday night. Whenever people have to deal with work or school the next day - it will affect crowds. Sunday Night would be OK if the Monday was a Public Holiday.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I posted this in another thread, but it probably sits better here now.
A genuine question for anyone who has an idea of how to quantify stuff, not trying to start a shit storm over tv coverage or scheduling. This season Broncos had no home daytime games, and think maybe one last season. I know the club and supporters would like some daytime footy at suncorp stadium. Meanwhile, Sydney teams, Raiders, Knights, and Warriors all seem to get a good proportion of Saturday and Sunday arvo games, Cowboys got a good proportion of their preferred Saturday night slot which suits fans.

My question is what brings a better financial reward to a club - FTA coverage, or home games in a consistent time that can build crowds and a footy culture. Is the benefit of FTA all its made out, or is there some real money to be made by consistent large home crowds. Surely its possible to come up with a schedule that best fits each teams individual needs and desires that strikes a balance between crowds and tv exposure..

You'd need to get hold of clubs revenue figures but the factors to consider are:
Increased appeal to corporate sponsors by being on FTA a lot
Increased brand recognition and fan engagement/memberships by being in more households regularly
versus
Fewer people attending games as they can stay home and watch their team
fewer people attending games due to sporadic scheduling

If I had to hazard a guess I would say, given how low NRL attendances are, that being on FTA generates more revenue. If clubs had crowds of 30k plus it may be different.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
So you're suggesting the Warriors only ever play 6pm Friday?

Incorrect

Coach
The only thing I don't like about that is still having a Thursday night game. Play a game on Friday and Saturday night. Whenever people have to deal with work or school the next day - it will affect crowds. Sunday Night would be OK if the Monday was a Public Holiday.

I suspect Thursday nights will get decent crowds so long as the following is adhered to;
1. Kickoff is brought forward to 7pm
2. They are scheduled for grounds close to CBD's like Lang Park, SFS and Parra Stadium (none at Shark park, Brookie, Canberra, Homebush, Penrith etc) - people finish work, go and grab a beer and a bite and then head to the game. The new Parra stadium is apparently being looked at as a venue for selected home games by Canterbury and the Tigers. SFS could be used as a home venue for not just Roosters but a few select Dragons, Tigers and Souths games. When the Sydney CBD light rail and Moore Park precinct upgrades happen, it will be easier to get to as well

You put the above in place for a Thursday, I'm more inclined to go. But if the same were true for a Monday, I'm not inclined to go...haven't been to a Monday night game since f&%k knows when... Thursday night feels like the start of the weekend to me, and you see lots more people in general out and about in pubs in the CBD's on a Thursday night as opposed to a Monday night.... so anecdotal evidence suggests people are more inclined to go out on a Thursday

In a perfect world, I'd prefer:

Friday - 7:30pm
Saturday- 3:00pm, 5:30pm, 7:30pm
Sunday - 2:00pm (x2) 4:00pm (x2)

More daytime football, more family friendly time slots.

It'll never happen though.

Same. I like afternoon footy.
I grew up with 6 or 7 games on Sundays. I don't want that many now but I would prefer 3 or 4 games on a Sunday.
I know it won't happen of course.

Incorrect

Coach
Same. I like afternoon footy.
I grew up with 6 or 7 games on Sundays. I don't want that many now but I would prefer 3 or 4 games on a Sunday.
I know it won't happen of course.

Remember listening to the radio when they used to cover Sunday arvo games and the Around the Grounds used to take about 5 minutes before you had all the scores!! LOL!

Perth Red

Post Whore
So you're suggesting the Warriors only ever play 6pm Friday?

Primarily yes. (ECST) I don't think kick off times (except for week nights) are the biggest issue. Games being non events in this entertainment rich world alongside ticket prices and poor facilities are bigger issues. If Mt Smart was THE place to be in Auckland at 8pm every other Friday then Schedule time issue is overcome.

18to87

First Grade
Why not promote 6:30pm Sunday Night Football as the game of the week like in the states with the NFL where it is one of the highest rated programs? You could even have a post game NRL recap show that would keep a lot of footy heads out of bed. the first 16 games could be announced with the schedule release but the rest would be genuinely the game of the week. Just a thought.

Lambretta

First Grade
Friday 6pm is God awfully stupid, I for one don't think I could ever make that time slot

imo Sunday 6pm would make most sense unless that is already gonna happen

6pm Sunday is a poor choice imo
I like to go to a game, have a few beers with the lads and cruise on home after
Getting home at 10pm on a Sunday half cut and then getting up for work on the Monday - errr nah

Friday and Saturday night games all season imo for the Roosters
Unless of course it's Easter Sunday or a public holiday on the Monday then go for your life