What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: Sri Lanka v Australia at Pallekele on Jul 26-30, 2016 - SRI LANKA WON BY 106 RUNS

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I reallymiss the days when Test batsmen would build an innings on a regular basis.

Why does every Aussie batsman feel the need to strike at 75 per 100 balls?

Bring back the days of Langer and Steve Waugh.

f**k T20 for ruining cricket.

This is the dumbest match to make that point. The batsmen did try and build innings. Smith in the second innings scored 55 from 125

Only two batsmen scored scores above 50. We lost because mendis played a ludicrous innings.

simmo1

First Grade
The Aussie batsmen are just about the most overrated I've seen. Any swing or spin and they fall to pieces.

Yeah, the Sri Lankans were shit too (Mendis aside), but most people don't rate them at all.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Its not swing that beats us but seam movement imo.

I really dont think we are that bad. Yeah we have problems in asia and i think cricket australia must do something about that but its not all doom and gloom.

Make a dustbowl in the middle of australia and make every shield side play there once a year.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Boof was getting a pitch built at the Qld academy and it was a typical Indian dust bowl for us to practice on, not sure what happened and if its been built or not.

Disappointed that we blew it, but it was good to see the bowlers in the contest for a change. The one thing I do enjoy about us playing overseas, it's a contest between bat and all.

JJ

Immortal
The Aussies aren't alone, most players these days are pretty ordinary against a moving ball - as above, seems it's more spin and seam... but give them a flat track, and look out

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Also we arent all that smart. All batsmen have their moments its quite difficult to concentrate for the length of time it takes to score a century but it just seems australians are especially stupid.

Remember burns and smith being bounced out by Wagner? And how everyone was saying oh they were just tired and lost concentration. Thats probably true but then the entire team got bounced out. It was the most obvious plan ever

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Its not really that difficult to concentrate for long periods, thats what got them to where they are, it comes with the territory.

Smith is still struggling with it, you only need to look at his first innings dismissal.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Well it is or everyone would score 100s.

Batting in test cricket is genuinely hard. Smith doesnt respect spin enough imo and its probably his biggest weakness. Thinking of all the really dumb times he has just chucked his wicket away its mostly to spinners. Ali at Cardiff (which was so f**king stupid that i wanted to punch the TV), the first innings here. He gets out stumped a lot for a guy who has good footwork. He needs to get it through his thick brain that even the shittest spinner in the world should be treated with respect. never mind Herath.

Its not really an Australian problem. Root for example randomly clocks off between 50 and 100 all the time.

Bazal

Post Whore
I think that can be a danger of form too. Smith is as good as any batsman in the world, and like a few of them he seems to suffer from overconfidence at times. Root is another, even Kohli and ABD do

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

Not necessarily, you can get that good wicket ball at any time on a pitch offering a bit, back at home on our highways then yeh, it can get down to your ability to concentrate and keep the ball on the carpet

Batting in test cricket is genuinely hard. Smith doesnt respect spin enough imo and its probably his biggest weakness. Thinking of all the really dumb times he has just chucked his wicket away its mostly to spinners. Ali at Cardiff (which was so f**king stupid that i wanted to punch the TV), the first innings here. He gets out stumped a lot for a guy who has good footwork. He needs to get it through his thick brain that even the shittest spinner in the world should be treated with respect. never mind Herath.

Its not really an Australian problem. Root for example randomly clocks off between 50 and 100 all the time.

Good point. Smith does suffer from that "spinners are there to be hit" syndrome. His ability to play the quicks to any corner of the field is so good that when the spinners come on he starts channelling Big Show, and it often results in similar stupid dismissals that we're accustomed to with Maxwell's inability to keep a level head.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Our batsmen still can't play swing or spin after all these years,do our cricketers even train or just play Pokemon Go all day