What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Titans

Meth

Staff member
need to win and keep winning.

I want to see-

1- Lolohea
2- Fusitua
3- Ayshford
4- Kata
5- Vatuvei
6- Leuluai
7- Johnson
8- Matulino
9- Luke
10- Vete
11- Thompson
12- Hoffman (c)
13- Mannering

Res- Lisone, Lillyman, Afoa, Roache

Tevaga and Maumalo out.

Although I expect an unchanged line up

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I don't rate the guy but Maumalo hasn't done anything to come close to warrant being dropped, right? No major defensive lapses, no horrendous handling errors, nothing apart from not being positionally adept at times? And I'm sure we should concede his ball carrying is strong, and could be even better when he learns not to be a battering ram.

And is Fus a better centre than Ayshford? He probably is. So if the ridiculous notion of having a back on the bench that doesn't get a minute of game time is rectified, then I'm actually pretty happy to keep the same time. Although Bunty>Tevaga every day of the week, I can't see an argument for otherwise.

JJ

Immortal
Since when has form been a factor in dropping???

Prefer Ayshford at centre, but if not he's a ridiculous bench option.

Given up trying to anticipate what the coach will do

Meth

Staff member
re Maumalo, I don't think he's been bad as much as I just don't think he is the best option and shouldn't have been selected in the first place.

And yeah, accomodating Ayshford on the bench is a waste of a bench spot.

There are 5 spots for 6 players- Fusitua, Lolohea, Ayshford, Kata, Vatuvei and Maumalo. Sorry Ken!! You are the weakest link.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I got the impression listening to hoff's interview on MMM this arvo that they think centre is Fus' best spot so I'm guessing no changes. At the end of the day I'll be happy with the same lineup as consistency is good, even though ideally I'd probably have Afoa on the bench instead of Ayshford.

JJ

Immortal
That's just what the coach wants him to say, they were all full of what he brings to the team at fullback until now. At some stage he and Ken will be exposed and we will pay

Benek

Juniors
I'm happy with same lineup except someone like Bunty instead of Aysh on the bench. I'd also be happy with Aysh starting at centre, Fus to wing, Maumalo dropped.

Big Marn

Juniors
i get the feeling that mcfadden's whole philosophy revolves around field position. and early gains from the back 3 is a big part of that. so until either manu or ken have absolute shockers i think he will leave those 2 where they are. i dont think he is sold on tui at the back and the defensive communication issues on ayshfords side returned with him not there. peachey and mansauce say hi.
so... could see tui on bench and fus back to fb which is not ideal either.
most likely will be same team as panthers....

Benek

Juniors
Yeah but really would he do same team again? Would he put Aysh on the bench for 80 minutes again? Why?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yeah but really would he do same team again? Would he put Aysh on the bench for 80 minutes again? Why?
Sane reason, backline injury cover. I think he's being very conservative, figuring with the two big wingers and and lots of 80 minute guys in the pack he'll get enough go forward using three interchange forwards and he's holding a back reserve in case someone goes down or gets carved up.

Benek

Juniors
Does any other team have back line cover on the bench that only gets used in case of an injury? Seems like a waste to me. And if you're going to use it it has to be a person who you can inject with some real energy. I don't think Aysh is that player. To me he starts and plays 80 or doesn't make the team at all.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Not saying I agree with it, it's just my assessment of what Cappy's doing. And it's the first season of reduced interchange so it's not that surprising that a coach is trying something a bit unusual in that regard.

Leber

Bench
I'd go..

1 LoLo
2 fus
3 ayshford
4 kata
5 vatuvei
6 leuluai
7 Johnson
8 lillyman
9 Luke
10 vete
11 Thompson
12 hoff
13 mannering

14 maumalo
15 afoa
16 matulino
17 lisione

Blair

Coach
I'd go..

1 LoLo
2 fus
3 ayshford
4 kata
5 vatuvei
6 leuluai
7 Johnson
8 lillyman
9 Luke
10 vete
11 Thompson
12 hoff
13 mannering

14 maumalo
15 afoa
16 matulino
17 lisione

You look at this and you'd have to think it's our strongest side. TL can cover hooker, Ken the outside backs and, probably, back row. Tui can cover TL or Johnson...

Meth, no need for Roache.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
If Ken is on the bench though do you even use him bar injury? And he's a less safe cover option than Ayshford.

Meth

Staff member
That's just what the coach wants him to say, they were all full of what he brings to the team at fullback until now. At some stage he and Ken will be exposed and we will pay

Exactly

Leber

Bench
If Ken is on the bench though do you even use him bar injury? And he's a less safe cover option than Ayshford.

You use him as a battering ram in the middle in the last 15 if he hasn't already needed to come on for injury.

Leber

Bench
Injury to a winger: Maumalo to wing.
Injury to a centre: Maumalo to right wing, Fus to centre
Injury to fullback: Maumalo to right wing, Fus to fullback
Injury to a half: Maumalo to right wing, Fus to Fullback, lolohea to half.
Injury to hooker: Maumalo to right wing, Fus to Fullback, lolohea to half, Leuluai to hooker
No Injuries: Maumalo to secord row as a battering ram.

Maumalo would make a great number 14 and I hope Mcplod can see it.

JJ

Immortal
Of them all Ayshford is the worst option from the bench

Funny though, McFadden has no use for him or Tui in 80 mins if tight football