What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wine thread

Bazal

Post Whore
2005 Chrismont La Zona Marzemino.

Smells like tomato leaf, tobacco, oregano and mint. Tastes like the juiciest blood plum ever, just with big tannins. Good for a cold winters night and a bowl of lasagne

Peter Lehmann "Mentor" Cabernet Shiraz Malbec 2009. Given this bottle by a family friend, wanted my opinion. Drinking very well, tannins rather fine, plenty of plum & cherry, and secondary flavours of leather and dark chocolate coming through.

A darn nice drop.

Bazal

Post Whore
Got a 2009 Mt Mary Reflexion and a 2006 Quintet lined up tonight, what with not having work til Thursday. Should be good

Bazal

Post Whore
You can see why they de-classified the Reflexion. It's nice, don't get me wrong. Black fruits, particularly blackcurrant in a jubey way, it's kind of briary, with some violet and the tiniest bit of eucalypt. No smoke damage showing yet, but also not much in the way of tannins and it lacks power.

Bazal

Post Whore
Here's one for @Scott Gourley's Lovechild and @Drew-Sta

Swung by Plonk earlier for their beer tasting (half cut already by this stage), grabbed a Woods Crampton Sleeping Dogs Dry Red from the Barossa. Not guys I'd really heard of before...this stuff is 40% Graciano, 30% Mataro and 30% Bonvedro, which is a Portuguese grape I've never tried. Keen as shit to try it once I've had enough beer, will of course let you lot know how it goes.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Its a great brand. Nic Crampton knows how to get good wine made; Woods is a great winemaker.

His mataro is superb. So is the Shiraz.

Bazal

Post Whore
I can apparently get the Mataro, the graciano, one of the other blends and the GSM at Jim Murphys. The old hot air balloon knew a good drop, I'll give him that. Have to pay them a visit

Misanthrope

Staff member
Alright wine nerds, I'm in some cute little Italian restaurant in Qingdao and a Spanish wine importer comes in.

We have a chat and he has me sample the three wines he has with him. Not knowing shit about wine, I thought I'd share the names so you can tell me what I just had.

• Valceniza Las Estaciones 2014
  • Vega Ximena Reserve 2008
  • Valceniza El Origen 2011
I'm not a red wine guy, but they were all pretty good. Not as aggressively tart as I usually find red wines.

Quattro Mano Barossa Valley Tempranillo 2013. Not what I was expecting. Reminds me more of a McLaren Vale Shiraz to be frank. Medium bodied, smooth with a little tannin, and a bright red fruit finish. Good solid table red.

Some Young Punks "Double Love Trouble" Nebbiolo Cabernet 2013. As the grapes suggest, a darn grippy wine. Tannin followed by tannin.

But if you let it breathe for sixty minutes in bottle, it is a new wine. Still plenty of green "stalk" on the palate, but god if it doesn't slap itself in your face and demand attention. Secondary red fruits makes up the finish.

Darn good drop. Will keep a lot of blokes happy.

_Johnsy

Referee
Here's one for @Scott Gourley's Lovechild and @Drew-Sta

Swung by Plonk earlier for their beer tasting (half cut already by this stage), grabbed a Woods Crampton Sleeping Dogs Dry Red from the Barossa. Not guys I'd really heard of before...this stuff is 40% Graciano, 30% Mataro and 30% Bonvedro, which is a Portuguese grape I've never tried. Keen as shit to try it once I've had enough beer, will of course let you lot know how it goes.
How did it go ?

_Johnsy

Referee
Should be receiving my delivery of the Soul Growers Resurgence (Shiraz Cabernet) carton in a day or two. Includes the following vintages - 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2011.

Bazal

Post Whore
2009 Torbreck The Struie. Probably at the back end of its best drinking window, but still absolutely delicious. Loads of cloves and cinnamon and stuff

Bazal

Post Whore
2013 Yering Station Shiraz Viognier. Just an awesome wine, every year. Always beautifully balanced and elegant. Wines like this are the reason you'll never convince me South Australian shiraz is the way it should be

Latest posts