What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Intrust Super Cup 2016

Redcliffe wrapped up the minor premiership tonight with a 74-6 thrashing of Tweed Heads. Tweed scored first but the home team racked up 74 unanswered points.

Week off next and then they face either Burleigh (most likely) or Townsville in the qualifying semi.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
From the QRL site :

The Redcliffe Dolphins have edged out the Burleigh Bears for the Intrust Super Cup minor premiership.

The two teams will meet in Week 2 of the finals for a spot in the September 25 grand final at Suncorp Stadium.

Two elimination finals will be played next weekend. The venues and kick off times are listed below (FOGS Colts Challenge venues and times will be confirmed tomorrow)

Sunday, September 4

Intrust Super Cup Finals Week 1

Townsville Blackhawks (3) v Easts Tigers (6) at Jack Manski Oval 1:40pm (Channel 9)

PNG Hunters (4) v Sunshine Coast Falcons (5) at National Football Stadium, Port Moresby 3:00pm

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
ISC2016Finals-Week1.png

Full Round 25 wrap: http://leagueunlimited.com/news/29117-results-2016-intrust-super-cup-round-25/

Finals roundup: http://leagueunlimited.com/news/29111-finals-football-2016-september-3-4/

Artful Dodger

Juniors
Sources from Melbourne are reporting that craig ingebrigtsen asked melbourne to rest their players for the semis in an attempt to not travel to PNG back to back. Good tactics knowing how hard it is to win in PNG let alone 2 weeks in a row but also hear the storm are off him making constant requests for certain players each week and bellyache is off him

Artful Dodger

Juniors
Reports Pat Templeman is being shopped around by his manager to Easts as well as a possible reconnect with with JB at Souths.

Artful Dodger

Juniors
Jerome Hughes in doubt this week for the Blackhawks with Matt Bowen looking to fill the void.

Easts will be under strength with Melbourne keeping 3 of their players on standby for Saturdays clash with Cronulla.

Sunny coast did not name Ryley Jacks this week due to ankle injury in last weeks PNG clash but looks like he will line up this weekend.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
yeah that would make sense. Souths have a good roster, but will be interesting to see how many follow JB to Souths.

In the article on Wynnum signing Travis Burns for next year on the QRL site, I was interested in the line "Burns has been in the UK since 2013, with playing stints at Hull KR, St Helens and Leigh Centurions, and will be part of a new-look Seagulls team in 2017 under the direction of new head coach Brideson."

It would seem likely that the "new-look Seagulls team" won't include either or both of the current halves.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
NTRUST SUPER CUP

Finals – Week 1

Sunday, September 4

Elimination Final 2

TOWNSVILLE BLACKHAWKS 46 (Moses Pangai 2, Michael Parker-Walshe 2, Jonathon Reuben 2, Delouise Hoeter, Andrew Niemoeller, Corey Jensen tries; Corey Jensen 2, Rhyse Martin 2, Kyle Laybutt goals) def EASTS TIGERS 4 (Shane Neumann try) at Jack Manski Oval.

Elimination Final 1

SUNSHINE COAST FALCONS 18 (Thomas Murphy, Samuel Wright, Ryley Jacks tries; Joe Stimson 3 goals) def PNG HUNTERS 12 (Butler Morris 3 tries) at National Football Stadium, Port Moresby.

NEXT WEEK’S GAMES

Finals Week 2

Saturday, September 10

Elimination Final

Townsville Blackhawks v Sunshine Coast Falcons at Jack Manski Oval 4pm

Sunday, September 11

Qualifying Final

Redcliffe Dolphins (1) v Burleigh Bears (2) at Dolphin Oval 1.30pm* (Live on Channel 9)

Teddyboy

First Grade
How big or small are the crowds for this comp plus doe's it get any air time in Australia ?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Match of the round goes to air before the NRL every week on Sundays (1:40pm).

Not sure on the crowds, others may know.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
How big or small are the crowds for this comp plus doe's it get any air time in Australia ?

Varies a bit depending on the club. In South East Qld, the likes of Wynnum, Redcliffe, Burleigh, Ipswich and Easts have a good following and get reasonable crowds to their games. Norths, Souths, Sunshine Coast and Tweed struggle for numbers.

Away from the televised game each week, there is very little media coverage which makes it tough. For these clubs to attract 2,000 is sensational when you compare some games in Sydney only get 8-12,000 with saturation coverage.

The Northern Clubs seem to do fairly well with crowds - Central, Mackay, Townsville and Cairns - having a local media helps in those regions.

And of course, PNG gets huge crowds to every home game (20,000 or so) and adds a 1,000 or so to the crowd at every away game with ex-pats getting along.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Varies a bit depending on the club. In South East Qld, the likes of Wynnum, Redcliffe, Burleigh, Ipswich and Easts have a good following and get reasonable crowds to their games. Norths, Souths, Sunshine Coast and Tweed struggle for numbers.

Away from the televised game each week, there is very little media coverage which makes it tough. For these clubs to attract 2,000 is sensational when you compare some games in Sydney only get 8-12,000 with saturation coverage.

The Northern Clubs seem to do fairly well with crowds - Central, Mackay, Townsville and Cairns - having a local media helps in those regions.

And of course, PNG gets huge crowds to every home game (20,000 or so) and adds a 1,000 or so to the crowd at every away game with ex-pats getting along.

It sound's like it's got potential so why isn't the NRL pushing it plus love to see a PNG game on TV.

Stewbum

Juniors
Cap, my dear wife estimated 5 thousand at the Dolphin Stadium opening. I suggested 2000-3000 but my word there were people there.

I was startled to hear your club has recently learnt where the sun rises and sets and has made some plans to build a conventional football field!!!! Am I dreaming???

expansionist

Juniors
In the article on Wynnum signing Travis Burns for next year on the QRL site, I was interested in the line "Burns has been in the UK since 2013, with playing stints at Hull KR, St Helens and Leigh Centurions, and will be part of a new-look Seagulls team in 2017 under the direction of new head coach Brideson."

It would seem likely that the "new-look Seagulls team" won't include either or both of the current halves.

Well to be honest Seamark has (IMHO) looked a bit off the pace for a while now... I'd have moved him to hooker long ago.

Templeman is good value, and I felt sorry for Matt Smith - i thought he showed enough to be playing more first grade..

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Well to be honest Seamark has (IMHO) looked a bit off the pace for a while now... I'd have moved him to hooker long ago.

Templeman is good value, and I felt sorry for Matt Smith - i thought he showed enough to be playing more first grade..

My view would be exactly the opposite.

Matt Smith has never delivered on whatever potential he had, looks good sometimes but makes plenty of poor decisions. Not Queensland Cup standard except as a back up.

Seamark has been the source of plenty of frustration over the years for myself and my Gulls following friends. However, after a slow start to the year, he played some great football in recent months - tongue in cheek, I've been saying his best is till to come. Good defender, two premierships, games record for Wynnum, fantastic goal kicker - a real survivor who deserves to go out on his terms.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Cap, my dear wife estimated 5 thousand at the Dolphin Stadium opening. I suggested 2000-3000 but my word there were people there.

I was startled to hear your club has recently learnt where the sun rises and sets and has made some plans to build a conventional football field!!!! Am I dreaming???

You must be dreaming. It is about time the rest of the football world woke up to the fact that Kougari is correctly aligned and every other ground is not.

Latest posts