What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinions - PS4 or XBOX One?

snoozer

Bench
bump

about to buy ps4, not a huge player(want to play doom and world of tanks and want a blu ray player).

what's the difference in the memory size? is that critical for games?

Wato

Juniors
Both have 500gb and 1tb models, you can swap out the hard drive in the ps4 for a larger one but it does not work with external hardrives while the Xbox one works with external hardrives but you can't swap out its internal hard drive. The ps4 has sifnificantly faster install times for games too.

Pommy

Coach
bump

about to buy ps4, not a huge player(want to play doom and world of tanks and want a blu ray player).

what's the difference in the memory size? is that critical for games?

If your not a huge player it might not be an issue but I would just pay the extra and get a 1TB version. GTA for instance is up to about 70GB at this point so the 500 can fill up fast.

snoozer

Bench
got the ps4!

loving it. got doom and world of tanks. blown away by the graphics(it's been a while since ive been near a console).

i'm feeling a bit like a slow kid with the game play(esp doom) - lots of practice needed!

Wato

Juniors
Yea the pro is more powerful and can output at close to native 4K. It should run games at a more stable frame rate too but it's hard to know how that power Boast will be adopted, for example online games need parity between both the slim and pro models. Tbh I think the pro is a nice addition but unless you have a 4K tv I would stick to the slim thou if your nit in a rush to get a ps4 you might be able to pick up the pro for a good price in the lead up to Christmas. Eb tends to do some really good console deals in the lead up to Christmas.

Parra Pride

Coach
If you already have a PS4 and/or Xbone I wouldn't bother going for a PS4 pro. If you have neither, you could even choose to hold off for another twelve months and grab the Scorpio, which at this stage is looking like it'll blow the PS4 Pro away as far as performance goes.

Wato

Juniors
Yea the Scorpio will defiantly be more powerful but it's going to be more expensive too, it's using parts that are not even out yet so realistically $499 usd is best case scenario personally I can see it coming out at $599 usd. It will be really interesting how Microsoft handles having the Scorpio and the Xbox one with the power difference, you would think by 2019 they will have just left the best model Xbox one behind otherwise they will not be getting much out of the Scorpio upgrade.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
If you already have a PS4 and/or Xbone I wouldn't bother going for a PS4 pro. If you have neither, you could even choose to hold off for another twelve months and grab the Scorpio, which at this stage is looking like it'll blow the PS4 Pro away as far as performance goes.
It'll also likely be AUD$150-200 more than the PS4 Pro was at launch, and by that time the PS4 Pro likely would have seen a small price reduction or game bundle.

The gap between scorpio and ps4 pro is massively overstated, the numbers look big but the percentage is less than the gap between the original ps4 and xbox one... While there is undeniably a difference between the consoles, it's another step up in resolution that you'll need to go over with a magnifying glass to see the differences. Most scorpio games won't run at native 4k either, it's specs support borderline 30 FPS on AAA titles when compared to performance against PC cards with similar specs. Developers will choose lower resolution to ensure stable frame rates, like we've seen with the current gen.

Both consoles support full gamut HDR and much more detail at 1080p or 60fps somewhere below 4K. If that matters to you, then either one would be a good choice. At the end of the day it comes down to games and price. Scorpio looks awesome on paper, but a years market lead time is huge in this industry, Microsoft have to be very careful how they price it or it could be DOA.

Personally I'll end up getting both eventually, but it'll take a while for games to be released that will take advantage of the extra power. I saw a demo with Deus Ex on PS4 Pro at the local gamestop, it looked pretty comparable to my PC with a GTX 980. It's a noticeable step up from PS4 / Xbox One, probably questionable whether the step up from PS4 Pro and Scorpio will be that noticeable, especially when viewing a TV screen from at least 2m away.

Last edited: