What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARU could cut the Force loose opening up Perth

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
is it even possible for an NRL team to buy an ARU team? Why would they sell, surely they would rather see it die then help us?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Force have a pretty good profile in WA. They have a very slick marketing team looking at how they get themselves out there. Sadly they wont be cut anytime soon. their losses are pretty small and on the back of a decade of failure. if they can put a winning team out, and it seems the ARU is helping them sign some decent players, they will easily cover those loses. their crowds are around 12-14k at moment and that would comfortably get up to 16-18k with some success. Off the field RU has benefitted massively by having the Force including getting a CoE Govt funded and big increase in player numbers. They also have a reserve grade in a second tier national comp. Wish they would go and the NRL would fill the void for non AFl sports fans but don't hold your breath.

myrrh ken

First Grade
I wouldn't think a loss making business would excite the NRL, while they're stilling propping up Newy and GC.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
Force have a pretty good profile in WA. They have a very slick marketing team looking at how they get themselves out there. Sadly they wont be cut anytime soon. their losses are pretty small and on the back of a decade of failure. if they can put a winning team out, and it seems the ARU is helping them sign some decent players, they will easily cover those loses. their crowds are around 12-14k at moment and that would comfortably get up to 16-18k with some success. Off the field RU has benefitted massively by having the Force including getting a CoE Govt funded and big increase in player numbers. They also have a reserve grade in a second tier national comp. Wish they would go and the NRL would fill the void for non AFl sports fans but don't hold your breath.
I dont know about 12-14 k crowds, this year the stadium looked mostly empty every game i saw. Compared to the other ARU franchises they're a huge black mark, that's why there is talk of moving them to Western sydney.

Diesel

Referee
I've seen none except what they show on the sport report on the news in the mornings, surely WA couldn't get smaller crowds than the Rebels

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I dont know about 12-14 k crowds, this year the stadium looked mostly empty every game i saw. Compared to the other ARU franchises they're a huge black mark, that's why there is talk of moving them to Western sydney.

Yeh it's hard to find Union crowd figures! What I could find ranged from 9.5k-12.5k.

Their first year they had 16k members and made $2mill profit. A decade of terrible results has screwed them.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
Yeh it's hard to find Union crowd figures! What I could find ranged from 9.5k-12.5k.

Their first year they had 16k members and made $2mill profit. A decade of terrible results has screwed them.
true they used to get decent crowds, it's not only results but no big names. No one gives a flying f- about some third string saffa who can't make the lions side.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I think it is more likely they will reconfigure super rugby with the current sides, politics in S.africa rules out dumping a side and to dump am Australian side would be a massive strategic retreat for that code. logically they should have
African conf- current 6 saffa sides
Australian conf- 5 aussie sides plus Japan
NZ conf- 5 NZ plus Argentina or Fiji

Mind you I think they have lost the sporting public in Australia anyway so I doubt anyone but the rusted union fans will care what they do.

Hopefully it does happen as it leaves door wide open in perth

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
The door for the NRL was wide open 2012-2015. Bringing in a Perth team in either tv deal was the opportunities. Whatever Union do will no matter a jot to NRL expansion as the NRL has no strategy.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I dont think the Force is a brand valuable enough to buy. The only ARU brand worth buying is really the Wallabies (chucking that in perth would be great)....

Buying up their facilities and picking over their bones for their junior structures would be the better option.

Id either like a new brand or an old RL brand promoted either from State rep or a local comp.

Eg.
western_australian_opens_day5_teamPhoto_s800.jpg

I believe this was first worn in 1956, to represent the State. I think this would be a great place to begin the WC brand.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thing is ARU created a competition for expansion by announcing there would be a new club and creating competition for it. The WA Govt got on board because of that competition. Compare that to the NRl who keep saying no expansion, Perth's not a priority, existing clubs are all that matter etc etc. Its not like there is any reason for the WA govt to push for a club or get excited by the notion is it? The $125mill they spent on nib was partly in the belief that an NRL club would play out of it in the near future, having been burnt on that I suspect they are not going to be very proactive until the NRl gets serious about expansion. Some time in 2022 maybe?

GongPanther

Referee

Ten years?

I thought they started last year.

taipan

Referee
Thing is ARU created a competition for expansion by announcing there would be a new club and creating competition for it. The WA Govt got on board because of that competition. Compare that to the NRl who keep saying no expansion, Perth's not a priority, existing clubs are all that matter etc etc. Its not like there is any reason for the WA govt to push for a club or get excited by the notion is it? The $125mill they spent on nib was partly in the belief that an NRL club would play out of it in the near future, having been burnt on that I suspect they are not going to be very proactive until the NRl gets serious about expansion. Some time in 2022 maybe?

Yeah and the whole thing has turned out a disaster financially and fanwise, because of lack of planning and impatience.

So tests out of NIB(consultation with WA Govt) and NRL games and RLWC games (consultation with WA Govt)is an indication rugby league doesn't give a rat's road LOL.