What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indigenous team based out of Darwin

Pommy

Coach
I quite like the idea of a pre season All Stars double header to celebrate the culture in our game.

Indigenous V Maori
Polynesia V Melanesia

Lets celebrate the culture in the game by leaving out the vast majority of people? At least the All stars format is all inclusive.

jim_57

Staff member
Do we? I'm pretty sure I can play internationals at some level if I am a RL player. There wouldn't be many nations without an international team now.

What? We have internationals for all Australians, Englishmen etc to aspire to, All Stars concept doesn't have to cater for absolutely everybody.

Does anybody actively support the "World All Stars"?

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I quite like the idea of a pre season All Stars double header to celebrate the culture in our game.

Indigenous V Maori
Polynesia V Melanesia

I think you just couldnt put teams together good enough for 3 Pacific teams...

Better to put them altogether into a Pacific All Stars and have one great team.

(I cant imagine anyone would be too offended; we lump all of Indigenous Australia together and no one seems too worried. I think the Pacific Nations would just be happy to have a big event that is their's)

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Lets celebrate the culture in the game by leaving out the vast majority of people? At least the All stars format is all inclusive.

This isnt about celebrating "the game", this is about celebration Indigenous participation in the game (and id like to see that extended to Pacific Islander participation as well)...

Celebrate the game somewhere else, there are plenty of other formats to bitch about; Origin excludes the Brits and the Kiwis, why not open that one up and use it to "celebrate the game" instead?

That stupid "World Team" is what is killing that All Star concept. The Indigenous team inspires more love than the Kangaroos ever have, but the World Team make the concept a gimmicky joke...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
so can we exclude all the South Pacific natives from the international teams then?

All representative football is about exclusion. That is the entire point of creating an "Us vs Them"

We exclude Brits and Kiwis from Origin, we exclude Queenslanders from the NSW team the Kiwis exclude Aussies from their national team.

Why is it such a tragedy for an indigenous Australian team and a Pacific Islands team to have a single game? Will Rugby League really die because there is 1 match a year devoid of white people?

adamkungl

Immortal
The NRL All Stars game is pure garbage. Even worse now that it's just picked by the coach or whatever instead of being a fan vote as it was. a Fan All Stars had some legs, albeit small ones.

Pommy

Coach
All representative football is about exclusion. That is the entire point of creating an "Us vs Them"

We exclude Brits and Kiwis from Origin, we exclude Queenslanders from the NSW team the Kiwis exclude Aussies from their national team.

Why is it such a tragedy for an indigenous Australian team and a Pacific Islands team to have a single game? Will Rugby League really die because there is 1 match a year devoid of white people?

I thought Australia just picked whoever they wanted?
I don't see how in 2016 you can propose such a thing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
yeh given they are including Kiwis and Fijians surely the Australia team should be renamed the southern hemisphere XIII?

I can't see how we can have a NRL indigenous team playing out of Darwin, but perhaps we could have a indigenous team playing in the Queensland comp.

RoosTah

Juniors
I don't really like the idea of a racially based team... That said, I think it's a good idea to continue promoting the game among the indigenous community so they continue to get better representation in the game.

Places like the NT would be good for that, and perhaps the NRL could do some outreach on that front.

RoosTah

Juniors
yeh given they are including Kiwis and Fijians surely the Australia team should be renamed the southern hemisphere XIII?
Mate, that's hardly unique to League... just have a look at the Wallabies, All Blacks or England and even sides like Wales now - chock full of PI natives the lot of them. In fact, England Rugby has players poached from far more countries than the Kangaroos nowadays - a bit like their cricket team from a few years back that earned the name "noahs arc" because they seemed to have 2 of every nation

myrrh ken

First Grade
I think you just couldnt put teams together good enough for 3 Pacific teams...

Better to put them altogether into a Pacific All Stars and have one great team.

(I cant imagine anyone would be too offended; we lump all of Indigenous Australia together and no one seems too worried. I think the Pacific Nations would just be happy to have a big event that is their's)

Haha don't bet on it! I made the exact same suggestion in the Internationals forum a couple of months ago and ruffled a few merkins' hairs

T-Boon

Coach
The best thing they can do for the Aboriginal players is reduce the interchange right down to 4 and extend the game by stopping the clock when the ball is out of play.
The Koori players tend to be smaller, speed and skill based player that are unfortunately less important than they use to be.
Chris Sandow is an example of a guy who should have been a super star in Rugby League. He could tackle (in the traditional sense of tackle, not wrestle), but tackling monster after monster after monster ruined him.