What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Jerseys, Logos, Sponsor Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Canberra Raiders will run on to the field next year as the $2 million men for the first time in the club's history as the Green Machine capitalise on a remarkable turnaround on and off the field.

The Raiders signed a deal on Tuesday to link with Dare Iced Coffee as a sleeve sponsor for the next three years to put in place the final piece of the Raiders sponsorship puzzle.

The Raiders will return to the NRL finals for the first time in three years when they play the Cronulla Sharks at a sold-out Canberra Stadium on Saturday night.

Coach Ricky Stuart has his players firing at the right time of year, winning their last 10 games in a row to set a club record for the best winning streak since 1982.

1473153899858.jpg

The Canberra Raiders sponsors on jersey and shorts Photo: Supplied
But the Raiders' backroom staff have worked to put together a sponsorship portfolio that will boast more than $2 million of signage on lime green jersey and shorts in a massive milestone for the club.

It's believed major partner Huawei will give an injection of close to $1 million per season with bonuses after agreeing to a new deal earlier this year and Dare's arrangement is understood to be worth almost $450,000 per year..

The majority of the spots are locked away for three years with TTM Security, McDonald's ACT, Denman Prospect and Austbrokers Canberra joining forces for the most lucrative playing strip in Raiders history.

The Raiders bandwagon has gathered momentum over the past month and green fever will hit Canberra when fans pack into the stands in the capital.

But Raiders chief executive Don Furner said sponsors had given their commitment months earlier than the Green Machine charge to the play-offs.

"We've never been in a better position sponsorship wise," Furner said.

"We've been through some tough times and that's been well documented, but I want to make it clear those major sponsors have been with us the way time.

"[Capitol Chilled Foods Australia brand] Canberra Milk has sponsored us for 30 years, they're not just jumping on the bandwagon. They agreed three or four months ago.

"Huawei and Dare are there for three years and that gives us security sponsorship-wise ... sport is a funny business and there are so many things out of your control.

"It's a Raiders town and we've been in hibernation for a few years. But going through tough years makes you appreciate making the semi-finals. We've had to fight and that shows."

Stuart has led the Raiders' on-field revival and the club enjoyed its best regular season since 1995 to finish second on the ladder.

Stuart slipped into his 1994 Raiders jersey on Tuesday with Canberra Milk splashed across the front.

The 10-game winning streak is better than records set by champion Raiders teams of the past and their attacking blitz scored the most points of any Canberra team since 1982.

The NRL was forced to release 1200 standing-room tickets for the finals match in Canberra as fans and members jammed ticketing websites.

The demand was so high that almost all ticket options were exhausted in less than two days and the sponsorship announcement was another major boost.

"You can't pinpoint one thing, things slowly change and you need a bit of luck," Furner said.

"People talk about changing culture overnight ... that's not true. I never thought we had a bad culture, but we've made some tough decisions. For us, this is the best jersey we've had. We can't and won't be complacent."

THE $2 MILLION MEN

Raiders sponsors (approximate figures): Huawei ($850,000), Dare ($450,000), TTM Security ($150,000), McDonald's ACT ($150,000), Denman Prospect ($220,000), Austbrokers Canberra ($220,000). Bonuses can also be activated if certain clauses are met.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...in-green-machine-history-20160906-gr9olt.html

kdalymc

Bench
Would they really make $850000 of sales? I do not know one person that owns a Huawei...

Ps better change the thread title bro, b4 someone gets up ya . Should be same as previous years

Oak created Dare originally. It was like a premium version of their standard milk. I guess they must have sold the brand or something.

In any case, Dare is clearly better.

Mr. Snrub

Juniors
Not really sure about the blue strip down the sides of the jersey. What's wrong with keeping it green all over?

GAZF

First Grade
Not really sure about the blue strip down the sides of the jersey. What's wrong with keeping it green all over?

I don't mind us using a bit more blue as it provides the best contrast with the green, but its difficult to pull off with the traditional striping style.

It looks odd as it continues to a striping pattern on the shorts. And the shorts striping doesn't match the jersey striping. A white side stripe on the jersey with the shorts stripe (matching the jersey) starting beneath the logo may have tied it is a bit better.

LineBall

Juniors
Well done Canberra.

BUT..

Does anybody ever think we could get to the point where we could just have one sponsor who is willing to pay $2M per year. Big companies such as Samsung, Toyota, etc to be the sole, front of jersey sponsor. Nice to have only one sponsor on the jersey instead of it looking more like a Nascar driver's uniform.

Canard

Immortal
Well done Canberra.

BUT..

Does anybody ever think we could get to the point where we could just have one sponsor who is willing to pay $2M per year. Big companies such as Samsung, Toyota, etc to be the sole, front of jersey sponsor. Nice to have only one sponsor on the jersey instead of it looking more like a Nascar driver's uniform.

One sponsor could only be done by NRL enforcement.

If you could get $2M to be the front of jersey sponsor, why wouldn't you try to sell that other real estate for extra money?

LineBall

Juniors
One sponsor could only be done by NRL enforcement.

If you could get $2M to be the front of jersey sponsor, why wouldn't you try to sell that other real estate for extra money?

Companies may be willing to pay more for exclusivity.

Saint Doc

Coach
Companies may be willing to pay more for exclusivity.

The exclusivity doesn't count for anything to the sponsor though.

If you see Toyota from the front, then you see it. Worth $

If you look from the side and back, you see nothing, that doesn't make the Toyota branding more visible, thus it isn't worth more.

You could MAYBE get the one sponsor willing to pay for every spot (i.e. Toyota on the front, back x2, sleeves) but seems unlikely

Saint Doc

Coach
Also I might be an old fuddy duddy but I don't deal well with change. Can the OP change the title to 2017 jerseys.... Instead of "kits". It's been that way for 10 years. Big issues I know!!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Most companies only want exclusivity in their own industry, not necessarily across the whole club.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Also I might be an old fuddy duddy but I don't deal well with change. Can the OP change the title to 2017 jerseys.... Instead of "kits". It's been that way for 10 years. Big issues I know!!
Only because I'm nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts