What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Mummy versus Buddy saga

The Winners

First Grade
I would like to know all your thoughts on this incident where GWS hardman Shane Mumford sledged Sydney Swans star/celebrity Buddy Franklin about the mental issues that kept him out of the finals series last year.
This was very out of line by Mummy and i think more needs to be made of it bcoz you just cant go swatting at peoples mental issues like that.
I happen to know Buddy did it really tough last year and it was a credit to the great man that he managed to pick himself up from the floor to play really well this year.
He must have done it tough to play most of the year only to miss the crucial end of season games bcoz of his issues.
He is a credit to sport in Australia for coming back from such personal depths and the Swans club and AFL was exceptional in the way they helped him out of it.
Mumford is shockers and should be suspended.
Buddy is a Sydney treasure and should be treated accordingly.
It must be tough being the most recognised current sportsperson in Sydney.

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Poor Bobby Frankfurt, we should all be there for him in this tough time. I hope him well.

mongoose

Coach
Buddy whoever he is should probably stop referring to his mother as "mummy" if he doesn't want to be sledged...

GAZF

First Grade
I would like to know all your thoughts on this incident where GWS hardman Shane Mumford sledged Sydney Swans star/celebrity Buddy Franklin about the mental issues that kept him out of the finals series last year.
This was very out of line by Mummy and i think more needs to be made of it bcoz you just cant go swatting at peoples mental issues like that.
I happen to know Buddy did it really tough last year and it was a credit to the great man that he managed to pick himself up from the floor to play really well this year.
He must have done it tough to play most of the year only to miss the crucial end of season games bcoz of his issues.
He is a credit to sport in Australia for coming back from such personal depths and the Swans club and AFL was exceptional in the way they helped him out of it.
Maybe you should write a song about it, throw in some Sydney geography while you're at it.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Ok....
Seizure sparks crisis for Lance Franklin and Swans
Caroline Wilson
The very private fragility of Sydney superstar Lance Franklin has become very public in the aftermath of a seizure suffered in Bondi on the eve of the Swans last home-and-away game against the Gold Coast.
Sydney coach John Longmire on Franklin's withdrawal
Swans coach says Lance Franklin's condition is treatable, but refusesd to put a time-frame on when he might return to action.

Franklin's high anxiety, which came in the days that followed the dramatic incident last Friday, has seen him unable to play in Saturday's qualifying final and caused the club to take the bold step of revealing his on-going mental health condition. That, along with the fact he suffers from a mild form of epilepsy. The 28-year-old remained in care on Tuesday night.

Franklin's mental-health crisis has sidelined him for at least the first week of the finals but the club has not ruled him out from returning as early as next week should Sydney lose to Fremantle. There was no suggestion that Franklin's playing career was under threat.
In the spotlight: It has been said that there are two Franklins - the confident unbeatable "Buddy" and the more brittle "Lance". Photo: Getty Images
Franklin's teammates were told of the seizure on Tuesday, the third publicly recorded incident of fitting to have required urgent medical attention and one that has reportedly in recent days heightened his stress levels and had a crippling effect upon his psychological well-being.

Initially unwilling to have his health issues the subject of public scrutiny, Franklin is said to have accepted that by revealing his mild epilepsy the club has moved to demystify his condition.

Advertisement

The 28-year-old's relative rock-star lifestyle and ongoing rumours of illicit drug use led inevitably to strong suggestions across social media on Tuesday that Franklin was facing a third positive detection. That was vehemently denied by both the club and the AFL.

Suggestions of a relationship break-up with Franklin's fiancee Jesinta Campbell have also been denied. After the seizure on Friday, which saw Franklin treated by paramedics and taken to hospital, the $10 million forward was cleared to play the following day by the club's doctor. On Sunday he drove Campbell, who had a modelling assignment in Japan, to Sydney Airport.

Taking time out: Buddy Franklin. Photo: Getty Images
Franklin was the subject of illicit drug innuendo when he suffered a seizure in August 2012 while still playing at Hawthorn. His then housemate Sharrod Wellingham arrived late to his Collingwood game after being unwilling to leave Franklin. He said then that the "sad and upsetting" rumours had hurt his family and friends.

In January 2014 Franklin suffered a seizure at his Bondi apartment and was treated by paramedics, an incident that provoked the Swans to release a statement insisting that neither drugs nor alcohol were involved.

There you go..

The Winners

First Grade
Ok....

There you go..

The media are not reporting it this way and are all on Buddys side on this one as they know the pain and struggle he went through last year.
I give you a challenge to find a current article about mental issues not being the problem for his exit from the finals last year.
i bet you cant.
Mumford should be suspended for what he did to Sydneys greatest and most well known sporting star.
You should be ashamed of yourself to.
You are just as bad as Mummy.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
The media are not reporting it this way and are all on Buddys side on this one as they know the pain and struggle he went through last year.
I give you a challenge to find a current article about mental issues not being the problem for his exit from the finals last year.
i bet you cant.
Mumford should be suspended for what he did to Sydneys greatest and most well known sporting star.
You should be ashamed of yourself to.
You are just as bad as Mummy.
Swing and a miss. 1 point.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Great old movie. Abbott and Costello meet the mummy, one of Buddy Abbotts great comedic efforts. An oldie but would still out rate anything thing the swines or gnats have to offer

juro

Bench
I had no idea that this incident happened until I saw it mentioned on the news last night. A very bad look for AFL, but hardly surprising really...

Latest posts