What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ron Massey Cup/Sydney Shield 2016

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
ScaleWidthWyI3MDAiXQ-2016GF-RMC.png

St Marys v Mounties
Sun September 25 2016, 2:15pm at Pirtek Stadium

SMY-16teamlist.png

1. Alan Eisenhuth 2. John Tuliatu 3. Ray Lesoa 4. Geoff Daniela 5. Chris Aunese-Scanlan 6.Sam Jones 7. Adrian Davis 8. Atonio Pelesasa 9. Cameron Collins 10. Josh Butfield 11. Tom Eisenhuth 12. Joe Vaegaau 13. Nathan Smith
Interchange: 14. Blake South 15. Thomas Romer 16. Henry Seumanu 18. Sonny Tuigamala19. Lakehm Aiono 21. Mose Felio 23. Jamie Hill

MOU-16teamlist.png

1. John Kennedy 2. Finlay Dibley 3. Allen Mulia-Malau 4. Paul Simona 5. Jordan Martin 6.Chad Porter 7. Jake Walsh 8. Jacob Mayer 9. Jarrod Brackenhofer 10. Mitch Kennedy 11.Sonny Bristow 12. Steven Tavita 13. Matthew Whitehouse
Interchange: 15. Brandon Raeli 16. Mitch Beggs-Mowzcan 17. Jake Goodwin 18. A. Bristow

Match Officials
Referees: Ryan Jackson;Sideline Officials: John Woods, Mitchell Stone

http://leagueunlimited.com/news/leagueunlimited-rm-cup-teams-2016-grand-final/

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
ScaleWidthWyI3MDAiXQ-2016GF-SS.png

Mounties v East Campbelltown Eagles
Sun September 25 2016, 12:15pm at Pirtek Stadium

MOU-16teamlist.png

1. Jake Horton 2. Maika Sivo 3. Joshua Toole 4. Sam Aiga 5. Shannon Chapman 6. Maile Li 7.Bradley Speechley 8. Tere Glassie 9. John Martin 10. Alec Susino 11. Luke Speechley 12.Ben Chahoud 13. Sage Wilder
Interchange: 14. Eddie Tavita 15. Fou Tagilima 16. Ben Whitehouse 17. Luke Cauchi 19.Dayne Vette Welsh 20. Blake Ritchie 21. Patrick Dumont

ECE-16teamlist.png

1. Edwin Connor 2. Craig Moustakas 3. Amanono Tovio 22. Ben Baker 5. Fusi Toutai 6.Micheal Stevens 7. Wayde Dunley 8. Fred Tevaga 9. Jarryd Eggleton 16. Guy Thompson 11.Mason Talolua 12. Ronny Palumbo 13. John Da Silva
Interchange: 4. Giovanni Vatuvie 10. Aaron Teraki 14. Va'enuku Vatuvei 19. Sama Sauvao20. Chris Standing 21. Vincent Bablon 23. Remi Dufour 24. Julian Bousquet

Match Officials
Referees: Damien Briscoe;Sideline Officials: Ben Teague, Matt Damaso

http://leagueunlimited.com/news/leagueunlimited-shield-teams-2016-grand-final/

thorson1987

Coach
Shame I've gotta work tomorrow. Keen to go celebrate with the guys. Celebrations would probably be better than when we won both 1st and reggies Group 6 titles in 2012.

rightleftin

Juniors
The SS game was a pretty good standard in the first half where both sides showed their prowess but Mounties turned into a rabble after the break. Michael Stevens deserved the man of the match award, Palumbo and Taloula were very effective and for the most part Baker kept Sivo quiet, .

You would think that with 2 premierships in 3 years, East Campbelltown will be required to return to the RMC comp in 2017 after a 6 year hiatus.

In the RMC game, some early Nathan Smith brilliance had St Marys in the contest but gradually Mounties got on top of their larger opponents and won pretty easily 36-16.

Broncos93

Juniors
Does Ben Baker always play on the wing? Or was that a tactical thing to shut down Sivo?

I must confess I don't watch much Shield at all - was pleasantly surprised by the standard yesterday, at least the first half anyway. Second half seemed to be pretty dour from Mounties, they looked tired and out of ideas, just throwing it around hoping a break would come from nowhere.

rightleftin

Juniors
It does look like it was a specific tactic. Baker was full back for nearly all the season then played on the wing in the round game against Mounties then moved to centre until they met again in the GF.

rightleftin

Juniors
Incredibly Mounties finished 14 competition points ahead of East Campbelltown in the minor premiership, although the Eagles were matched with the RMC bye so did find they were occasionally facing sides with several RMC regulars.

Given Asquith's SS problems and the lack of a senior side for Peninsula, what are the chances that Asquith will enter only RMC in 2017 with Peninsual paired as per the arrangement between Concord Burwood and Belrose?

kbw

Bench
East Campbell town are doing some great things out there. 3 senior SCC sides and a Sydney Shield side. I ended up there 3 or 4 times this year mainly due to the A grade team i work with and we were always made to feel very welcome by players and officials alike. Well done

rightleftin

Juniors
September 17 2016
  • Axed player Jordan Latham takes Manly Sea Eagles to court in NRL contract stoush
Jordan Latham, in his new job at Southern Cross Group, recently attended a meeting at the Cronulla Sharks home ground named after the company.

"Being in that environment, seeing all the boys training, I feel that's what I should be doing," Latham lamented.

"Stuff like that makes things a bit harder but you have to deal with it."

It is Latham's belief that, had Manly not allegedly reneged on a contract extension, he may well have already played an NRL game on that ground. Latham is taking his dispute to the courts, where it will be determined whether a $55,000 offer made to him at the end of last season was indeed a binding one.

After coming through Manly's lower grades, former coach Geoff Toovey wanted to make Latham a part of the full-time squad in 2016. But when Toovey was axed, the club decided to go in a different direction and withdrew the offer. The case could be a landmark one – it's understood Latham never physically signed an NRL contract, but the parties had agreed to a fee which was accepted in writing.

The Sea Eagles, already in legal stoushes with major sponsor Coco Joy and former assistant coach Steve Georgallis, believe Latham's claim is invalid and are defending the matter to the hilt. The legal outcome, like Will Hopoate's contract case against Parramatta, could set a precedent for future player negotiations.

"Our position is that there is no binding contract," said former Manly CEO Joe Kelly before he was replaced by Tim Cleary during the week.

The situation has left Latham at the crossroads. The impasse occurred at a time when most NRL clubs had already settled on their rosters and, with no other options, he joined the Asquith Magpies. Latham has been playing for match payments of $700 at a time when he believes he could have been forcing his way into an injury-ravaged Sea Eagles forward pack.

"I would have liked to think I'd have been pretty close," he said.

"I never got to see this side of footy, I can say that I've definitely experienced the highs and the lows now. I've got down to Asquith and started enjoying my footy again. But it's not where I want to be, I think I'm a lot better than that.

"I'm still going through that process at the moment, coming to terms with it. It knocked my head around a bit. I couldn't see myself back at Manly with everything that's happening. The best-case scenario would be to get to get my money. It was a massive setback for me, I was unemployed for quite a few months because of it. Hopefully I can get another opportunity somewhere."
"There was no contract signed and under the NRL rules, it's not enforceable."

Broncos93

Juniors
Given Asquith's SS problems and the lack of a senior side for Peninsula, what are the chances that Asquith will enter only RMC in 2017 with Peninsual paired as per the arrangement between Concord Burwood and Belrose?

I cant see it to be honest. Asquith are a close knit community club from juniors up until under 19's. Without an open age reserve they'd lose a pathway for their juniors - there's no way they would travel 45 minutes over to the beaches. On another note, I don't think anyone bar one or two would even make the Peninsula bench.

I think the smart thing for Asquith to do is drop out of the Sydney Shield and enter their reserve team into the Norths/Manly A Grade competition.

rightleftin

Juniors
I cant see it to be honest. Asquith are a close knit community club from juniors up until under 19's. Without an open age reserve they'd lose a pathway for their juniors - there's no way they would travel 45 minutes over to the beaches. On another note, I don't think anyone bar one or two would even make the Peninsula bench.

I think the smart thing for Asquith to do is drop out of the Sydney Shield and enter their reserve team into the Norths/Manly A Grade competition.

That could fit - say Asquith have a core RMC squad of 22 players - barring injury there are 5 to leave out each week and then instead of relegating these guys to the reggies in Manly comp, they are available for Peninsula and when they are playing away both clubs will be meeting the same opposition on the same grounds so the relegated guys are still connected to the top 17.

Broncos93

Juniors
Thats true, could work I suppose. Be interesting to know whether or not Peninsula would welcome such an arrangement. If the rumoured signings that Ive heard are true (Kennedy bros and Vinny N'garo) plus another few forwards are added they may just have enough depth to have quality players dropped to Peninsula.

Joker44

Juniors
Hearing former Windsor coach Brad Prior will be the Blacktown Massey coach in 2017, as well as Windsor pulling out of both RMC and SS

rightleftin

Juniors
4 RMC/SS players from St Marys passed 200 games for the club during the year - Jared Cannon, Fuimanu Enese, Jamie Hill and Josh Buttfield.

THEY have been one of the most successful footy teams on the northern beaches but the Peninsula Seagulls have had their wings clipped.

The club’s founders, former first grade stars Gary Pethybridge and Steve Gearin, have revealed the Seagulls will not be competing in next year’s Sydney Shield rugby league competition.

“We would have been financially sound but it is resources, pure and simple,” Pethybridge said.

Lack of a suitable field and a proper administration plus the retirements and departures of key players helped bring matters to a head.

Gearin said: “We just don’t have the arsenal at the moment.’’

8445d12d77c244c61eb6ba70af8340ac

Peninsula Seagullls’ forward Todd Wilson in action for the the team this season. Picture: John Appleyard
The Seagulls have been a real Cinderella sporting story, starting from nothing but matching it with rivals who had the backing of wealthy licensed clubs in western Sydney.

The club was formed to give peninsula players the opportunity to step up to the next level that they were not getting in the A-grade competition.

And what the Seagulls have achieved on the back of the tireless work by Pethybridge and Gearin far exceeded expectations.

“We have won more Sydney Shield games than any other club in the past three years,” Pethybridge said.

6a09ca85f63ba8f9b76faa1b07c64908

Seagulls forward Josh Hall makes a break against East Campbelltown. Picture: Adam Ward
The team has made the grand final qualifier in each of their three seasons, were minor premiers once and finished second twice.

In two of those years a Seagull was named Sydney Shield player of the year and they also had the competition’s leading pointscorer twice.

The team had another successful campaign this year with former NRL stars Scott Pethybridge and Craig Gower coaching.

“It has superseded anything Steve and I thought could happen,” Pethybridge said.

For Pethybridge and Gearin the exercise has been a labour of love and they are determined the club will return in 2018, bigger and better.

“We’re far from dead and buried,” Pethybridge said. “We know how to run a club. We’re just pausing for 12 months and re-evaluating where we want to go.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...7/news-story/768a218d538fcdff05c93b1126e4cb61

kbw

Bench
That is sad about the Seagulls, They were good people that worked hard to achieve something worth doing

Latest posts