What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 Finals

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
The Storm will plan to wrestle and wrestle hard.

Storm want a low scoring grind and will kick for touch a lot.

Storm will back their defence.

As we know refs will allow both to stand offside.

In tonight's match Cecchin didn't allow the game to flow.

We all know this grand final is just gonna be a defence game both of their attacking plays are limited. I think storm have a lot more up their sleeve.

Young valentine homes though, jeez he is something special. The Cronulla backs are all very good players but I think the storm pack has too much experience in these situations and is led by the best prop in the game, Jesse Bromwich.

Yeah wtf has happened to the offside rule it seems like players just know that they're not gonna get caught because referees aren't enforcing it. I swear nobody ever tackles from an onside position anymore.

alien

Referee
The Storm will plan to wrestle and wrestle hard.

Storm want a low scoring grind and will kick for touch a lot.

Storm will back their defence.

Correct. I won't mind if the Storm wins, but I'd prefer the Sharks to win because they've never won a premiership before and this is their 50th season.

Rabbits20

Immortal
We all know this grand final is just gonna be a defence game both of their attacking plays are limited. I think storm have a lot more up their sleeve.

Young valentine homes though, jeez he is something special. The Cronulla backs are all very good players but I think the storm pack has too much experience in these situations and is led by the best prop in the game, Jesse Bromwich.

Yeah wtf has happened to the offside rule it seems like players just know that they're not gonna get caught because referees aren't enforcing it. I swear nobody ever tackles from an onside position anymore.
This year at times SOUTHS got made to stand back 13metres and the opposition only 8metres.

Pommy

Coach
Sharks vs Storm

Drug cheats vs Cap cheats

It's like deciding which ginger step child you hate more.
I'm still looking forward to Sunday. I just hope the weather is as good as it was last year.

Zigwaa

Bench
Go the sharks, I'd like to see them win after seeing how much disappointment their supporters have gone through, a few good mates are sharkies tragics.

I think them "getting the rub of the green" is a bunch of crap, lots of people said it about Souths during our premiership run and its completely unfounded on both parts.

I immensely dislike the storm and their tactics and would love to see them well beaten in a GF.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Go the sharks, I'd like to see them win after seeing how much disappointment their supporters have gone through, a few good mates are sharkies tragics.

I think them "getting the rub of the green" is a bunch of crap, lots of people said it about Souths during our premiership run and its completely unfounded on both parts.

I immensely dislike the storm and their tactics and would love to see them well beaten in a GF.

To be honest it's fair enough you think my statement was 'a load of crap' but I genuinely think some of the calls were unfair. I'm not saying that it's the only reason they won both their finals games I'm saying it contributed. We were the best team in the competition in 2014 everybody knew we had won the premiership before the finals even started. The Sharks lost all of their games leading up to the finals. We were decimating everybody.(with exception of Cowboys and roosters)

Last edited:

DiegoNT

First Grade
Definitely load of crap that sharks got the rub of the green. They created that rub of the green be being completely dominate through the forwards are, similar to the rabbitohs in 2014 when we were accused of getting the rub of the green as well. Cowboys kept knocking on and conceding repeat sets, simple as that. Cowboys even got a few go their way, had a few forward passes missed, the 'crusher tackle on bowen was a dead set joke, and even though they got penalised with a few late in the game, they got away with a few strips as well. To be perfectly honest i think Cowboys got more of the rub of the green anyway.
It's bullshit to say everybody thought we had won the premiership before the finals. People thought we'd missed our big chance in 2013, there were still big question marks on the team coming into the finals, and we were flogged by the roosters on the eve of the finals. Even after flogging manly, many commentators tipped roosters to knock us out in the preliminary final, and the GF was the only game we went in as favourites.
Sharks wrapped up a top 4 spot weeks ago, and had been basically treading water waiting for the finals since. They didn't play any players with injury risks, they had already beaten all the contenders through the year (storm, broncos, raiders, cowboys) so they were pretty much killing time until the finals started. Since the started playing in games that mattered they have gone to another level.

Zigwaa

Bench
To be honest it's fair enough you think my statement was 'a load of crap' but I genuinely think some of the calls were unfair. I'm not saying that it's the only reason they won both their finals games I'm saying it contributed. We were the best team in the competition in 2014 everybody knew we had won the premiership before the finals even started. The Sharks lost all of their games leading up to the finals. We were decimating everybody.(with exception of Cowboys and roosters)

Respect your opinion, I just think refs giving teams a leg up is pretty far fetched, most of the time they are just bad calls, not a concerted effort to help one team over the other team.

Do you think the calls were unfair/biased? Or they got all the 50/50 calls?

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Definitely load of crap that sharks got the rub of the green. They created that rub of the green be being completely dominate through the forwards are, similar to the rabbitohs in 2014 when we were accused of getting the rub of the green as well. Cowboys kept knocking on and conceding repeat sets, simple as that. Cowboys even got a few go their way, had a few forward passes missed, the 'crusher tackle on bowen was a dead set joke, and even though they got penalised with a few late in the game, they got away with a few strips as well. To be perfectly honest i think Cowboys got more of the rub of the green anyway.
It's bullshit to say everybody thought we had won the premiership before the finals. People thought we'd missed our big chance in 2013, there were still big question marks on the team coming into the finals, and we were flogged by the roosters on the eve of the finals. Even after flogging manly, many commentators tipped roosters to knock us out in the preliminary final, and the GF was the only game we went in as favourites.
Sharks wrapped up a top 4 spot weeks ago, and had been basically treading water waiting for the finals since. They didn't play any players with injury risks, they had already beaten all the contenders through the year (storm, broncos, raiders, cowboys) so they were pretty much killing time until the finals started. Since the started playing in games that mattered they have gone to another level.

I don't believe you read what I said. Some of the calls were stupid how do you explain that second try? Or what about matt Scott knocking it on in front of the post when it was clearly knocked back? Or Michael Ennis' unseen touch of the ball which I thought was very obvious the balls don't travel like that when you pass it I've played footy all my life. These calls didn't win them the game I repeat for the 1000th time but they came at crucial times in the game which led to a ridiculous amount of possession. You make errors when your tired, did you know this?

The Rabbitohs were the best team in 2014. I don't really know how you can sit there and say "the commentators tipped the roosters". The same commentators that said Penrith were a good chance of winning the premiership? Anybody who believed that is an absolute fool. Just because they're commentators doesn't make them gods at predicting footy outcomes. In fact I watch footy all the time and generally they predict outcomes wrong... Sure maybe the roosters were also favoured with Souths to win, but the fact of the matter is the minor premiers very rarely win NRL competitions and they were defending champions it's impossible for teams to go back to back. History was against them. I genuinely believe Souths were favourites to win the competition but I'm not really here to discuss that anyway.

As for the last bit about Sharks going to another level that was sort of laughable. They got pretty lucky against the raiders in the first final and any team could of executed a game against the Cowboys when they are at 71% possession and tired from a 90 minute game the week before. I'm sorry but both the last two games they played were not at 'another level'. They have had a pretty good finals run to be honest but what would I know I'm just a random on a forum arguing over a team which I don't even support. :) good luck to the storm.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I don't believe you read what I said. Some of the calls were stupid how do you explain that second try? Or what about matt Scott knocking it on in front of the post when it was clearly knocked back? Or Michael Ennis' unseen touch of the ball which I thought was very obvious the balls don't travel like that when you pass it I've played footy all my life. These calls didn't win them the game I repeat for the 1000th time but they came at crucial times in the game which led to a ridiculous amount of possession. You make errors when your tired, did you know this?

The Rabbitohs were the best team in 2014. I don't really know how you can sit there and say "the commentators tipped the roosters". The same commentators that said Penrith were a good chance of winning the premiership? Anybody who believed that is an absolute fool. Just because they're commentators doesn't make them gods at predicting footy outcomes. In fact I watch footy all the time and generally they predict outcomes wrong... Sure maybe the roosters were also favoured with Souths to win, but the fact of the matter is the minor premiers very rarely win NRL competitions and they were defending champions it's impossible for teams to go back to back. History was against them. I genuinely believe Souths were favourites to win the competition but I'm not really here to discuss that anyway.

As for the last bit about Sharks going to another level that was sort of laughable. They got pretty lucky against the raiders in the first final and any team could of executed a game against the Cowboys when they are at 71% possession and tired from a 90 minute game the week before. I'm sorry but both the last two games they played were not at 'another level'. They have had a pretty good finals run to be honest but what would I know I'm just a random on a forum arguing over a team which I don't even support. :) good luck to the storm.
The matt scott knock on was fair when a player leaps on a loose ball and bobbles it it is almost always called a knock on. The second try was fine. Came out of the hands backwards. I'm not sure what the ennis thing is you are talking about, but that is one thing to go in their favour. Cowboys received some very soft hold down penalties, they got away with a few strips during the game, and the bowen crusher penalty, which led to their first try was complete bullshit.

Souths were not the best team at the end of round 26. They finished 3rd on the ladder and were smashed by the roosters in the final round. The reason i brought up the commentators was because you said 'everybody' knew souths were going to win it. With this premiership widely known to be sewn up it does seem pretty odd that so many commentators deliberately made themselves look stupid by tipping roosters. Or maybe becuase it was such a tough call that some commentators legitimately thought roosters were going to win, ruining your 'everybody knew' theory. Even in the match day thread it was pretty evenly split, with even people tipping souths not 100% confident with their tips. Personally i didn't feel confident we would win it until the auva'a try in the GF.

Finally you say sharks going to another level is laughable while saying that sharks were poor in the last few rounds. Since they wrapped up a top 4 spot they dipped in the form, so to beat a red hot raiders side in canberra and then to beat a Cowboys side the way they did would of course mean they had to rise to another level. The proof is in the pudding. They strangled the Cowboys out of that game. They limited the Cowboys to limited possesion through a ruthless and powerful start to the game.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
The matt scott knock on was fair when a player leaps on a loose ball and bobbles it it is almost always called a knock on. The second try was fine. Came out of the hands backwards. I'm not sure what the ennis thing is you are talking about, but that is one thing to go in their favour. Cowboys received some very soft hold down penalties, they got away with a few strips during the game, and the bowen crusher penalty, which led to their first try was complete bullshit.

Souths were not the best team at the end of round 26. They finished 3rd on the ladder and were smashed by the roosters in the final round. The reason i brought up the commentators was because you said 'everybody' knew souths were going to win it. With this premiership widely known to be sewn up it does seem pretty odd that so many commentators deliberately made themselves look stupid by tipping roosters. Or maybe becuase it was such a tough call that some commentators legitimately thought roosters were going to win, ruining your 'everybody knew' theory. Even in the match day thread it was pretty evenly split, with even people tipping souths not 100% confident with their tips. Personally i didn't feel confident we would win it until the auva'a try in the GF.

Finally you say sharks going to another level is laughable while saying that sharks were poor in the last few rounds. Since they wrapped up a top 4 spot they dipped in the form, so to beat a red hot raiders side in canberra and then to beat a Cowboys side the way they did would of course mean they had to rise to another level. The proof is in the pudding. They strangled the Cowboys out of that game. They limited the Cowboys to limited possesion through a ruthless and powerful start to the game.

Nice response that was very well structured and I appreciate the maturity. Look I've gone back and watched the first half again and maybe youre right. The Cowboys did not play well and the Sharks had pretty good execution. I still find some of those calls dodgy but for the most of it, it was the Cowboys fault, they did not play like the top tier team they are. So I guess I have to give it to you.

Although I stand by the fact that the Sharks have not played at another level to any other team in the competition. After watching the Cronulla vs Cowboys game it's just made me think how one dimensional their attack is. It actually reminds me of Souths. The only reason they won is because of the ridiculous tackle count of the Cowboys and their pretty shocking errors which is fair game. The Canberra game is a fair call but I didn't really like to see it decided by a penalty that has very often been overlooked in regular games.