What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC '17 Qualifiers - Europe

adamkungl

Immortal
Between the Opacic confusion and Spain naming the French coach, this is shaping up to be a great series

paulmac

Juniors
Even if he is Slovenian,Opacic is a ethnically Serbian name,perhaps they are getting him selected via the 'former states' rule that the RLIF brought in for Yugoslavia & the USSR.

expansionist

Juniors
Hey Guys, I asked the question of their squad to the Serbian RL on Twitter, and he advised me that all players named in their squad are well aware, and have expressed an interest in playing pending injuries.

Thats encouraging!

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm hoping for Wales, Ireland, and either Russia or Serbia.

I think Wales deserve it with their 2 pro teams, relative strength and history.
Ireland have pushed ahead of Italy with the steps they're taking to improve domestic level.
And Serbia or Russia for some Eastern European representation, over Italy who will likely be one of the more grandparent stacked teams again.
I don't think Spain are really in the picture yet, sadly.

So, Wales and Ireland to top their pools with the playoff Serbia v Russia

Evil Homer

Staff member
Final Spain squad:

SPAIN 22-MAN SQUAD
Chris Lopez (Army Rugby League), Antonio Puerta, Daniel Moreno (Custodians Madrid), Ivan Ordaz (Irreductibles), Joel Laynez (Hull FC), Clement Laguerre (Los Gossos), Alex Doutres, Cedric Bringuier, Leandre Torres, Mathieu Griffi, Pierre Negre (Palau Xlll), Kevin Aparicio (Paris XV), Matt Dulley (Paterna Dragons), Miguel Charters-Blanco (Seaton Rangers), Gonzalo Morro (Tonneins), Aitor Davila, Juan Pablo Rango, Raul Simo (Torrent Tigres), Adria Alonso, Andrew Pilkington, Luis Thorp (Valencia Warriors), Daniel Garcia (Woolston Rovers)

France coach Cologni misses the cut.

morningstar

Juniors
Serbia 22 man squad for the Wales game...

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/14821/three-debutants-in-serbia-22-man

David Andjelić (Blacktown St Patrick's), Reece Grkinić (Cabramatta), Daniel Burke (Collegians), Jason Muranka (Dewsbury Rams), Dalibor Samardžić, Dalibor Vukanović, Stefan Nedeljković, Stevan Stevanović (Dorćol), Joshua Marjanović (Kawana Dolphins), Džavid Jašari, Vlado Kušić (Partizan), Pero Madžarević, Žarko Kovačević (Radnički Nova Pazova), Miloš Ćalić, Miloš Zogović, Vladislav Dedić, Vojislav Dedić (Red Star Belgrade), Chad Grant (St Clair Comets), Vladica Nikolić (Villeneuve XIII Leopards), James Mirceski (Western Suburbs Magpies), Jordan Grant (Wests Tigers), Ilija Radan (unaffiliated)

Not likely to be good enough to get through, alas. Their ring ins still aren't as good as other teams' ring ins. Should have sent more immigrants to Sydney 50 years ago Serbia.

paulmac

Juniors
All teams should be made to follow Ireland's lead by having a minimum quota of domestic players for qualifying tournaments.Italy will walk this in,wholly undeserved.

adamkungl

Immortal
23 of Italy's 65 man training squad are domestic.
If they rely entirely on ring-ins when they cut down to 24, it's their loss in future.

http://rlif.com/article/8165/russia-name-new-look-squad-for-rlwc-qualifiers

Russian squad. Poor buggers don't have much hope.

RUSSIA 22-MAN SQUAD

Viacheslav Eremin, Andrey Kuznetsov, (Dynamo), Kirill Kosharin (CSKA Moscow), Ivan Troitskii (Ivanovo White Sharks), Vadim Buryak, Leonid Kalinin, Maxim Tsinkovich (Lokomotiv Moscow), Petr Botnarash, Mikhail Burlutskii, Sergey Gaponov, Anatoly Grigorev, Sergei Konstantinov, Aleksandr Lysokon, Maksim Suchkov, Denis Tiulenev, Vladimir Vlasyuk, Nikolai Zagoskin (Nara), Anton Iunisov, Iustin Petrushka (Moscow Fili), Dmitry Bratko, Igor Chuprin, Vadim Fedchuk (Moscow Storm)

adamkungl

Immortal
What if Russia has been secretly working on an intense Rugby League program at Putin's request ever since that Tony Abbott shirt-front threat?

adamkungl

Immortal
In 2011 Russia and Serbia couldn't land a blow on a presumably stacked Lebanon and Italy.
In 2014 they both finished higher than Italy, which I expect is a more accurate picture of domestic strength, but pretty much irrelevant when it comes to qualifying.

5 years on, will they have improved enough to avoid 90 point floggings?

Evil Homer

Staff member
Flower and Evans will be in the Super League Grand Final tomorrow so I guess would not have been in camp with the rest of the team for the past week. No point drafting them in really, the players they've got there should get them through pretty easily.

Latest posts