What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Channel 9 have the rights to a Saturday Night NRL Game

Didn't they secure the rights in the next TV deal? Then turned around and on-sold it to Fox??

Partly. This is from an article I just found from last November which has the pertinent facts nicely condensed -

The specifics

For the 2016 and 2017 seasons, NEC has agreed to permit Fox Sports to simulcast matches (other than the State of Origin and the Grand Final), in return for a payment of $20 million per annum. NEC and Fox Sports have also agreed with the ARLC to move the delayed Friday night game to a live Thursday night slot (for 18 weeks in 2016 and 23 weeks in 2017), allowing Nine to show more matches live and in prime time. In 2017, Nine will also show a Saturday night match live, in the last five rounds of the weekly competition.

For the 2018 to 2022 seasons, Fox Sports will simulcast Nine’s matches (other than the State of Origin and the Grand Final) and NEC has given rights back to the ARLC in respect of the Saturday night match (which will be licensed to Fox Sports). As in 2017, the Saturday night match in the last five rounds of the weekly competition will be shown by both NEC and Fox Sports. NEC’s average cost over the 2018 to 2022 rights period will now be $125 million per annum, inclusive of contra, down from the previously announced $185 million per annum.

Under this revised agreement, live broadcast of NRL (inclusive of pre and post match commentary) on Free-To-Air TV will increase from approximately 150 hours in CY15 to approximately 240 hours from CY18.

Read more at http://www.adnews.com.au/news/nrl-c...our-nrl-channel-to-launch#kl1SG5qgt7TQftgC.99

Hope that helps.

Canard

Immortal
Awesome mate thanks.

I hate C9 but having an extra FTA game on Saturday nights (even if only for 5 weeks) is massive for the code, and finally puts us on level pegging with Aussie Rules.

ed-grimley

Bench
I would like to see an FTA game on Saturday evening - even if it is on 9. Beggars can't be choosers sometimes. Use the mute button.

flippikat

Bench
No. As a New Zealand fan, I am sick to f**king death of waiting until 10.17pm for kickoff. At least with Fox I know the game will start near the time advertised. CH9's coverage of sport is dumbing down a nation with its awful commentators (I strongly include cricket in this) as well.

Spot on. It's utterly frustrating for international markets - especially us here in NZ where we keep having to stay up late for their puff.

On a similar note - I hate how this week we have Daylight Saving time, and NSW doesn't. The 3-hour difference stinks when trying to watch the weekday shows that Sky carry live over here.

Spot on. It's utterly frustrating for international markets - especially us here in NZ where we keep having to stay up late for their puff.

On a similar note - I hate how this week we have Daylight Saving time, and NSW doesn't. The 3-hour difference stinks when trying to watch the weekday shows that Sky carry live over here.

Mate Daylight Saving Time starts in NSW this Sunday.

I dare say NSW is not going to change when it starts daylight saving to conform to that in NZ, I mean it took until 2007 to get NSW, Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and the ACT to agree to the same start and end dates for daylight saving.

flippikat

Bench
Mate Daylight Saving Time starts in NSW this Sunday.

I dare say NSW is not going to change when it starts daylight saving to conform to that in NZ, I mean it took until 2007 to get NSW, Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and the ACT to agree to the same start and end dates for daylight saving.

True, but it makes no sense for Aus & NZ to do this out of synch. Makes sense to align it, even if it means the NZ Govt just getting in line with Australia.

Dodgy

Juniors
I'd appreciate a Saturday fta game as a Melbournian who doesn't have foxtel. Even if it's there as an alternative to a matchup in AFL I don't like

Latest posts