What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Max Walker: Dead at 68 from Melanoma

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Genuine larger than life character. I met him many years ago in Sydney. Bloody legend. Treated everyone like one of his mates.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Such a lovable larrikin and a true gentleman, used to love seeing him on Hey Hey Its Saturday besides out on the cricket field.

RIP Mr Walker.

Barkley

Bench
Vale Max Walker.

What a man. What a legend. What a life he led.

As a kid, if you could pick your dream career it would be Max's.

RIP legend

undertaker

Coach
From an era of tough nuts and macho men such as the Chappell brothers, Lillee, Marsh, Walters etc., Max Walker was one of the most likeable, humble players to ever wear the Baggy Green. Never saw him play, but my fondest memories of him was watching Wide World of Sports on the weekends in the '90s, co-hosting alongside Ken Sutcliffe, Ian Maurice or Big Dazza! YEEEEEEEEES, gotta love that accent of Maxy.

I assume he must have been battling and treating this melanoma for a while as he had been out of the media spotlight for quite some time. I remember in the 2000s he was on the public speaking circuit and promoted his books (such as how to hypnotise chickens).

Going to find some clips of his classic cricket commentary on YouTube. A big shame he was only on the Ch9 commentary team for a short time. Would've much preferred to hear him over Nickelarse, Brayshaw et al.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I've been reading some great stories about Max. The impression I get is that he wasn't one of those players who could only get along with cricketers and who was obsessed with cricket, he was approachable to anyone from the bloke on the street to the Queen and was happy to yarn with anyone about anything.

And he was smart, recognising that his personality and his profile could make him some money and he did it without changing who he was.

And his test record was pretty impressive to boot.

Good man, big loss to cricket and Australia.

undertaker

Coach
No fan of AFL, but found this classic moment from the AFL Sunday Footy Show where Maxy had all the other panellists baffled with this prank:

f**king devastated about this. It's like my childhood summers have evaporated over the last four to five years. Tony, Richie and now Big Maxy.

RIP Tangles :(

Latest posts