What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Members announcement Farah

Zigwaa

Bench
This is probably true but yet again we've lost another promising Jnr to another club--- in the past few years we've cast off quite a few who have blossomed & will probably never return!!

This time we do it to secure a player past his best & from a club who is prepared to pay a fortune to get rid of him!!

Like who? Only ones I can think of are Peats, who was stuck behind Isaac Luke, and Mansour who the club had to choose out of him and James Roberts, we went with Roberts and he had repeated off field issues and had to be released. The club had no way of foreseeing that.

doyen

Bench
Like who? Only ones I can think of are Peats, who was stuck behind Isaac Luke, and Mansour who the club had to choose out of him and James Roberts, we went with Roberts and he had repeated off field issues and had to be released. The club had no way of foreseeing that.

A number came through our NYC--Peats,Roberts,Sandow,Phillips,Walker Takairangi,Evans, Mansour,Pettybourne--just to name a few!! Add McInnes,Butcher,Garlick,Merrin,Garvey & Lane & one can see we've let some gooduns escape!!

Zigwaa

Bench
A number came through our NYC--Peats,Roberts,Sandow,Phillips,Walker Takairangi,Evans, Mansour,Pettybourne--just to name a few!! Add McInnes,Butcher,Garlick,Merrin,Garvey & Lane & one can see we've let some gooduns escape!!

But you say they blossomed after we let them go? Peats,Roberts,Sandow,Walker, Pettybourne all blossomed at the club and had to be let go for various reasons, wouldn't say the were "cast off". The rest got better offers or we kept better players instead of them.

I'm sure as much as the club would love to keep these players, simple fact is you can't keep them all. The club has to weigh up who they keep and who they have to let go. I reckon they've done a pretty good job of it. Some players have shot themselves in the foot off the field costing the club 2 good players as a result.

big hit!

Bench
I think this guy nails the hammer on the head. Good little read.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2016/09/19/farah-signing-whole-lote-positives-rabbitohs/

Farah is in it for Farah. Anyone think he'll help Cook develop his game hasn't been following rugby league for the last 5 seasons.

Signing him is basically seen as a less than satisfactory confidence in Cook, and the kid himself feels this way too. After the change in fortunes in the team's play and results once Cook replaced McInnes as the main acting half, Cook had every right to believe that he's proved himself capable of taking on the role for next season.

That article trying to draw parallels with Lote, because he's in his 30s and comes from Wests is the only thing it's got going for it. The rest of it is drivel. Lote was a winger FFS!. He didn't repeatedly turn the man-management of a footy club into a season of Survivor either.

Last edited:

doyen

Bench
Farah is in it for Farah. Anyone think he'll help Cook develop his game hasn't been following rugby league for the last 5 seasons.

Signing him is basically seen as a less than satisfactory confidence in Cook, and the kid himself feels this way too. After the change in fortunes in the team's play and results once Cook replaced McInnes as the main acting half, Cook had every right to believe that he's proved himself capable of taking on the role for next season.

That article trying to draw parallels with Lote, because he's in his 30s and comes from Wests is the only thing it's got going for it. The rest of it is drivel. Lote was a winger FFS!. He didn't repeatedly turn the man-management of a footy club into a season of Survivor either.

The form shown in those last few games meant almost zilch!!!!

Sths were obviously using a completely different approach--at very,very long last,in Madge's desperation; the players being given a licence to do as they wished,as most lowly clubs were;hence the upsets!!!
McInnes never enjoyed that luxury due to his tight leash--Cook did,however, have that luxury, & went OK;that's when,of course, he wasn't dropping sitter passes with the line at his mercy!!!

I think COOK is more likely to continue on as a "flash in the pan",unfortunately;as he's always been throughout his entire career! I certainly don't think Cook has the capacity to worry Farah:even though Robbie is stumbling into the Winter of his career!

Last edited:

alien

Referee
Sths were obviously using a completely different approach--at very,very long last,in Madge's desperation; the players being given a licence to do as they wished,as most lowly clubs were;hence the upsets!!!
McInnes never enjoyed that luxury due to his tight leash--Cook did,however, have that luxury, & went OK;!

So McInnes wasn't given a license to give quick service out of dummy half??? As if Madge told him to slow the momentum down to make it easier for the opposition!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

McInnes never enjoyed that luxury due to his tight leash--Cook did,however, have that luxury, & went OK;that's when,of course, he wasn't dropping sitter passes with the line at his mercy!!!

I think COOK is more likely to continue on as a "flash in the pan",unfortunately;as he's always been throughout his entire career! I certainly don't think Cook has the capacity to worry Farah:even though Robbie is stumbling into the Winter of his career!

I disagree, McInnes isn't a hooker. He is a lock or second rower. He plays like that anyway I would of loved to have seen him play for a bit at lock to give Sam a rest. He is dangerous near the line. I agree with you regarding Cook though.

souths_reborn

Juniors

I would agree with the first part of your post if it had not been for the emphatic nature of our wins and the high quality of opposition that we came up against in those last few games - don't forget we completely outplayed both of this year's grand finalists in that run. Although we will probably never find this out, I think those improved performances probably saved the careers of a few players in our squad and even the coach himself. I wonder what would have happened if we had lost all of those games...

In saying that, Souths did nothing different to what they did under Maguire when we were a top four team between 2012-2014. It was basically the same bash and barge style, the only difference being that we were able to execute this style of play more successfully due to Cook being an a hooker who is effective at running from dummy half. The only difference in style between the 2012-2014 teams and the current one is that Cody Walker bring an element of control to the team despite being a flamboyant player; he is definitely an upgrade on Luke Keary.

I'm not so sure what you are alluding to in referring to Cook as being "a flash in the pan" type of player but I think that if you are going to judge him then you need to do it fairly and in order to do that you need to evaluate him after he gets an extended run in the starting team - just like McInnes did. However, from what we have seen this season you don't have much of a case as since Cook has come into the team and been given a prolonged run his form has been fine.

Latest posts