What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

El Diablo

Post Whore
Who will be cheering on the swans?
MEN_2013_Pride_Parade_Mcr_JGO_57.jpg

forward pass

Coach
I know I have probably said this every year for the past 10 years, buy I'm again calling the whole Dally M thing a Murdoch hoax.

Herbert (Dally) Messenger played circa 1908 and repped for his country, but was hardly an immortal.

The Dally M award was promoted by the (at the time) Sydney arvo newspaper the Daily Mirror and the infamy of Dally M has been exaggerated beyond reasonable proportions since the 1980s when this scheme was first concocted.

Herb might have been a decent player in the original comp, but you cannot tell me he is the one who is most deserving of our annual Best and Fairest award.

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/herbert-messenger/summary.html

I get that the Rothmans Medal needed to be upgraded with an award equal to the Brownlow, but it was very cheeky of News Ltd to do this and really needs to be changed.

Not totally correct. No-one ever considered Messenger to be an immortal. But, he was supposedly a pretty big name in Union, and when he switched to the new Rugby League which had just been formed, it gave the new game instant credibility, money and a whole lot of instant fans - keen to see how he fared in this new game.

The award is named in his honour as the new game may not have even survived had he not agreed to participate - not because he was a great player !

Gronk

Staff member
Not totally correct. No-one ever considered Messenger to be an immortal. But, he was supposedly a pretty big name in Union, and when he switched to the new Rugby League which had just been formed, it gave the new game instant credibility, money and a whole lot of instant fans - keen to see how he fared in this new game.

The award is named in his honour as the new game may not have even survived had he not agreed to participate - not because he was a great player !

So it was a coincidence that the Daily Mirror named the award after this ground breaking most deserving player and his name happened to be Dally M(essenger) ? Gee they were lucky.

Gronk

Staff member
ARLC chairman John Grant says stop shooting game in the foot

ARL Commission chairman John Grant has warned those involved in rugby league that they need to stop shooting the game in the foot following a year in which the code has suffered immeasurably from off-field incidents.

440b78c63a3dac0a0b0d241b51ff32b5

Grant, who has been chairman since the independent commission came into effect in 2012, made no attempt to hide his frustration after a season blighted by, among other things, the salary cap scandal at Parramatta and allegations of match-fixing.

He suggested the incidents were hindering rugby league’s ability to grow as a sport.

“If you compare this year off-field with previous years and whether it is better or worse, I would say it is worse,” Grant told The Australian yesterday.

“Maybe we’re more sensitised to it too because we have greater aspirations for the game.

“But we have just had too many issues this year, obviously headlined by the whole Parramatta debacle.

“It is naive to think that doesn’t translate in some way.

“It translates to people who watch the game, people who come to the games, people who want to get committed to rugby league, sponsors who want to stay in the game, sponsors who might even be thinking about it.

“If we’re going to grow this game — and what does grow mean?

“More people play, more people watching, more people going to games and more people supporting the game through sponsorship, that’s what growing the game is all about.

“What we have is this little cocoon of rugby league at the moment which we can pretty well define — the rusted-on fans, the members, the sponsors.

“I have to say the commission, and certainly I am, just over this — over this general view that you can’t kill rugby league with an axe.

“If you want to be the biggest sport and have more people playing, the game has to grow, which means you have to attract new people. You have to attract new sponsors, you have to attract new mums, all that sort of stuff.

“It is not good enough to be saying you can’t kill rugby league with an axe.

“We have to stop killing ourselves and start really being cognisant that everything that hits his game from a negative point of view damages things and it takes a long time to recover. We have to stop it.”

Grant acknowledged that the majority of players understood their place in the sport but said it was incumbent on everyone within the code to take responsibility for the ongoing damage caused by high-profile incidents.

Sunday night’s grand final has not been immune, with Cronulla opting to put Andrew Fifita off limits following the NSW forward’s involvement with killer Kieran Loveridge.

Fifita’s association with Loveridge meant he was one of four NRL players to receive notices from NSW Police this season for consorting with criminals.

“I think we shouldn’t discount the player community’s ability to understand and change,” Grant said. “I have to say, in the 4½ years we have been involved, the player group has matured enormously. Which is why I said before maybe we have higher expectations.

“I am certainly of the view that the majority of player community and their understanding of being role models has advanced considerably.

“We’re in a good position going in the right directions.

“When these things happen it is such a shock. Players are increasingly more conscious of the environment in which they work and the demands of that environment. That will only improve over time, but what it does do is bring into stark contrast when you have a bad incident.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...t/news-story/fa49ee3834d5f5971e476e09452d9557

forward pass

Coach
So it was a coincidence that the Daily Mirror named the award after this ground breaking most deserving player and his name happened to be Dally M(essenger) ? Gee they were lucky.

Probably. And you are right there may be more to it. I am just pointing out Messenger's role in the birth and ongoing success of our game which was reportedly hugely significant.

As was JJ Giltinan - but he already has recognition on the shield.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Grant, who has been chairman since the independent commission came into effect in 2012, made no attempt to hide his frustration after a season blighted by, among other things, the salary cap scandal at Parramatta and allegations of match-fixing.

He suggested the incidents were hindering rugby league’s ability to grow as a sport.

“If you compare this year off-field with previous years and whether it is better or worse, I would say it is worse,” Grant told The Australian yesterday.

“Maybe we’re more sensitised to it too because we have greater aspirations for the game.

“But we have just had too many issues this year, obviously headlined by the whole Parramatta debacle.
Then why don't you make the f**ken salary cap more equitable you useless merkin!