What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winx2016 v Sunline 2000

After watching that incredible win today it got me thinking .

Which great mare had the better performance in the Cox Plate?

As much as I love watching Winx
IMO Sunlines win was better .

She did it far tougher .
Outside barrier ...they gassed her for the first 600 MTRS ....which is when she finally got somewhere near the rail .
She was about 5 wide out of the straight With the pace right on
Got a breather for about 400 MTRS before Child's took off .
She blitzes them by 7 lengths .

Don't get wrong Winx was out of this world today .
But she had a fairly easy run for the first 1000

Incredible motor when the pressure went on .

So what's your thoughts .

Here's the link to Sunlines win .
The quality is poor

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
I've seen the best of the best of mares and fillies over the last 40 odd years.

Ethereal, Sunline, Special, Empire Rose, Emancipation, etc, etc.

Sorry folks....Winx just took things to a new level today.

chigurh

I'm biased because Sunline is my favourite horse and that Cox Plate run was my favourite ever, but Winx today was just unreal. Couldn't blame anyone opting for it.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Sunline was the first horse I loved as a kid, went to the front and just ran her opposition into the ground.

She was awesome

Its hard to compare eras but Winx now deserves to be mentioned up with any of the champions of the modern era

If she goes and dominates like she has been for another 12 months whose to say where she will rank among the all timers.

Doubt it would happen but I'd love to see her go overseas and do it on the world stage... I can't imagine any horse in the world would have beaten her today over 2000

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I'd have Sunlines win just ahead of today's win by Winx, she had to do it real tough early with barely a breather and then put 7 on a quality field. Not taking anything away from Winx or her win today it was out of this world.

She is now in rarified air and deserves to be mentioned with the greats of the last 30 years.

OVP

Coach
Better Loosen Up (1990) holds the race record of 2.01.5
Kingston Town is the only horse to win it 3 times.

Winx ran it in 2:06.35 this year, but last year was faster in 2:02.98
Sunline ran it in 2.07.70 in 2000, 2.05.40 in 1999

Obviously, different track conditions apply for each year but that 2.01.5 by Better Loosen Up will take some beating.

All Cox plate race times and winners here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cox_Plate_winners

Btw this one was my favourite Cox Plate of all time ... these two were freaks

Last edited:

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Atlantic Jewel may have been up with these if she was able to race on longer,she was a beast

Thousand Guineas win was outrageous

Injuries and being owned by Coolmore just crueled any chance of her being up there in that elite level. Same as Nechita, Pierro, Vancouver and plenty of others.

Irish dweebs are too concerned about breeding than the good of the sport. People love champion horses, they should be running for as long as possible.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Better Loosen Up (1990) holds the race record of 2.01.5
Kingston Town is the only horse to win it 3 times.

Winx ran it in 2:06.35 this year, but last year was faster in 2:02.98
Sunline ran it in 2.07.70 in 2000, 2.05.40 in 1999

Obviously, different track conditions apply for each year but that 2.01.5 by Better Loosen Up will take some beating.

All Cox plate race times and winners here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cox_Plate_winners

Btw this one was my favourite Cox Plate of all time ... these two were freaks

That race finished both of them, they were never the same horses after that.

hineyrulz

Post Whore

Injuries and being owned by Coolmore just crueled any chance of her being up there in that elite level. Same as Nechita, Pierro, Vancouver and plenty of others.

Irish dweebs are too concerned about breeding than the good of the sport. People love champion horses, they should be running for as long as possible.
Thats the reason Mares have become so dominant the last 10-15 years, all the good colts are at stud at 3 or 4 because they can earn more at stud then they can on the track. The studs are pretty are much running the industry these days.

WaznTheGreat

Referee

This punter gonna go to America in 2017 breeding season

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Even some Americans are saying Winx is the best horse in the world,she made some headlines in a few of there racing websites and the comments from the punters under the article are very positive

You must be good when even biased Americans are saying you're the best

Latest posts