What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brooks and Moses how will they go from here?

Tigerm

First Grade
The main issue will be though that until they are re-signed or otherwise the ass wipes in the media will have a field day linking each one with Bulldogs/Roosters etc for the first half of next season which will have a negative impact on the team...

Having all the big names come off their contracts at the same time is so typically Wests Tigers inept management...

I think a lot of WT's issues are because of the inept management, they just don't seem to understand the long term vision of a team environment, they are relatively new, but this is the big game after all and juniors should not be allowed to run it.

Nathan Cleary is one out of the box. He'll probably be that once in a generation player.

Every other young half has to work for it, Brooks and Moses are no different. This year they both need to step up, there's no more excuses. They've had around 60 games each in the big time, they need to start showing up every week.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
On Brooks I agree 100% MU - something has to give and 50 games+ is enough of a look.

On Moses, I think he showed enough this year to give him some more patience. He obviously has the skill, its just the experience and the consistency that he needs. That comes with time.

Having said that, if we are still having this conversation about Moses at the end of next year, my faith would have wavered a fair bit.
A handful of games of top quality from Moses is not good enough. He needed to be performing at a top level every week.

I have no more patience for them. If we want to be successful, then we need to start being more strict on the players.

Shredder

Juniors
MU, its also a matter of trading up.
We have trouble enough finding players who want to play with us as it is.
Make your list of consistently better NRL halves than ours, then remove the guys that arent going anywhere like Cronk and Thurston, then see who is left that would actually come to us.
I dont completely disagree with you, all Im saying is that on game, Moses is at least fine.
For my 2c (or 5c now I guess) I would love to flick Brooks for a tradesman simply to save cap space and spend it elsewhere. The number mentioned with these guys is $600k each. honestly I would like to see us give LittleJohn a decent go.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I am hoping Brooks really does come good this year but if we are to cut him loose I'd be chasing Hodkinson from the Knights and offer him a contract. I know we are paying Brooks too much money but even if we have to pay similar money for Hodkinson the upside is we have a better than 80% goal kicker, a better than average defender, a pretty good kicker in general play and someone who can control a game and kerb some of Moses over enthusiasm.

Just a thought...

Shredder

Juniors
Tigers Tale - I couldnt agree more - Hodg would want similar money - so for the same money, we get a better defender, more experience and a goal kicker. Honestly it seems like a no-brainer to me.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
MU, its also a matter of trading up.
We have trouble enough finding players who want to play with us as it is.
Make your list of consistently better NRL halves than ours, then remove the guys that arent going anywhere like Cronk and Thurston, then see who is left that would actually come to us.
I dont completely disagree with you, all Im saying is that on game, Moses is at least fine.
For my 2c (or 5c now I guess) I would love to flick Brooks for a tradesman simply to save cap space and spend it elsewhere. The number mentioned with these guys is $600k each. honestly I would like to see us give LittleJohn a decent go.
It's not about trading up. Every one can see they have potential. It's up to the coach, who spent his entire f**king career playing in the halves, to come up with plays, structures etc that encourage and allow these players to reach and fulfill that potential.

If Taylor doesn't want creative halves, then stop paying through the nose for a pair of 22 year olds and go and buy a couple of 100k back up halves or something.

He won't let them play their natural game, and they lack the courage to back themselves because of it.

2 weeks

Coach
I don't think you can afford to have both in the side, you leak too many points when you do.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Brooks is a bit like your first hit of heroin. You never reach the high of the first time.

I think back to his debut and he has never reached that height again. Shame, I still like him but he makes me frustrated.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Brooks is the biggest disappointment to come out of the Balmain juniors in 30 yrs.This kid was an absolute gun in very strong Balmain junior rep cup teams.In a crucial position in which we hadn't produced a genuine star in decades there was enormous hope that he would kick on in the men's game & b dominant for a decade.

The undeniable fact after 3 inept seasons is that he is way out of his depth in the NRL & has been an abject failure who is devoid of the basic skills of a 7(can't kick or pass & has zero vision or enthusiasm) in addition to being a major liability in defence.We can no longer carry this pathetic overpaid impostor.Tough decisions must urgently b made by this weak club or we won't b playing finals footy in the foreseeable future.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Brooks is the biggest disappointment to come out of the Balmain juniors in 30 yrs.This kid was an absolute gun in very strong Balmain junior rep cup teams.In a crucial position in which we hadn't produced a genuine star in decades there was enormous hope that he would kick on in the men's game & b dominant for a decade.

The undeniable fact after 3 inept seasons is that he is way out of his depth in the NRL & has been an abject failure who is devoid of the basic skills of a 7(can't kick or pass & has zero vision or enthusiasm) in addition to being a major liability in defence.We can no longer carry this pathetic overpaid impostor.Tough decisions must urgently b made by this weak club or we won't b playing finals footy in the foreseeable future.

I understand your frustration but that is a little harsh. In 2014 when we had a a decent size pack and a number of experienced players, Brooks was absolutely outstanding. In more recent times we have been a bit rudderless and it has affected Brook's game severly. I'm not giving him any excuses, I'm just pointing out what I've seen.
It took until the end of last year that we finally snapped into a groove but Brooks hasn't quite caught up yet.

I don't disagree with you that tough decisions need to be made. 2017 is the year he needs to step up or find another club. To be honest though if he went to a club like the Bulldogs he would get his form back very quickly.

Vic Mackey

Referee

agree with a lot of what BroJim said. brooks has been a dissapointment however i hardly think he has been as big a failure as you make out. the hype around him was always fairly unjustified. he had some quality games in the NYC however i found he went missing at times and went missing a number of times in important games. the 'next andrew johns' tag was completely ridiculous.

the club (mayer) panicked and signed him on a 4 year marquee money deal when he had played 1 first grade game against the team coming 15th. this again inflated expectations on him.

brooks best game this year was against the rabbits when moses was out. he took control of the game as he had too, we scored 3 tries off his kicks (which is something that happened a lot early in his career however has died off under taylor) and directed the team well.

to me the biggest concerns about him are 1) his defence, this hasnt gotten better and if anything is now worse. both his contact and decison making are well below first grade standard 2) his fitness and body language. ive been to 2 of the open training sessions and brooks was dead last both times in the fitness drills. this isnt good enough anymore. ive also found his body language on the field is quiet poor. for a halfback he doesnt talk much and never seems enthusiastic.

if he doesnt begin to improve id be fine with moving him on however ideally id still like to keep him, on a realistic contract. i dont think he is worth anywhere near the $600k he is reportedly on now. when its reported that guys like ben hunt, adam reynolds etc are asking that its not a difficult choice. if someone else is willing to pay him that good luck to him.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
All very true Vic. The point you make about Hunt is good and now very relevant. Hunt has come out with the old cliche of signing a contract that is best for his family, that is, the most money. If we are paying Brooks the rumoured 600k it isn't too big an ask to use that (and maybe a little bit more) to sign Hunt. The Broncos seem to get around the salary cap every year but I don't think they can match the money other clubs will throw at Hunt. They have too many other international/SOO they need to keep.

We need to be in this race if Brooks is failing in the first third of next year. Give him a chance but if there is nothing there, lets chase Hunt.

Vic Mackey

Referee
All very true Vic. The point you make about Hunt is good and now very relevant. Hunt has come out with the old cliche of signing a contract that is best for his family, that is, the most money. If we are paying Brooks the rumoured 600k it isn't too big an ask to use that (and maybe a little bit more) to sign Hunt. The Broncos seem to get around the salary cap every year but I don't think they can match the money other clubs will throw at Hunt. They have too many other international/SOO they need to keep.

We need to be in this race if Brooks is failing in the first third of next year. Give him a chance but if there is nothing there, lets chase Hunt.

Definitely re hunt. If brooks fails I'd nearly be tempted to promote a guy like Littlejohn or look around for another capable first grade halfback who can tackle. Not a star but a Jeff Robson/Blake green type who will hold their own. Then splash out on a quality back rower.

We have ample attack in us as it is.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Definitely re hunt. If brooks fails I'd nearly be tempted to promote a guy like Littlejohn or look around for another capable first grade halfback who can tackle. Not a star but a Jeff Robson/Blake green type who will hold their own. Then splash out on a quality back rower.

We have ample attack in us as it is.

I know a lot of this is hypothetical but if we lost Brooks I 100% agree on promoting Little John and splashing the cash on a back rower like Ethan Lowe: 80 min player, Workhorse attitude, plays right side and can even kick goals!

2 weeks

Coach
Ethan Lowe is an injury risk. That spinal cord injury he got from the Storm using their WWE techniques on him was close to career ending.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Speaking figuratively I should say Charlatan.

Seriously I think back to Brooks on his debut and I thought "Great, we finally have a half who will take this team to the next level" well, that hasn't quite happened has it?

super_coach

First Grade
Brooks is fast becoming the forums target no1. If you look at his stats from last year in all areas except defence he was right up there. Hasler is desperate to get him over to the dogs because he wants a no7 and the way I see it Des knows a little more about the game than most.

Now as for his defence, he can tackle, but his decision making was poor and he was not getting a lot help from the guys who are paid to help the little guys in defensive structure.

I have a gut feeling that both Brooks and Moses will have great seasons if they don't get bogged down by contract talk

Latest posts