What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 nations instead of 4 nations idea

jason1359

Juniors
Iv been hearing lots about the possibility of it becoming the 6 nations just wondering wats every1s opinion on this and how would it work? I have 2 ideas first it could be the top 4 ranked nations and 2 qualifiers from euro and the pacific for example Aus,Nz,England,Samoa and maybe Fiji and Scotland?? Or just have Australia,NZ,Fiji,Png,Tonga and Samoa ??

siv

First Grade
Good to see the future RL schedules starting to get locked in

We all await with baited breath on what the Confederations Cup will look like, How the tours will work and what shape qualifiers will take

I see a combination of mid year internationals with end of season series

Where mid year internationals are played on 4 dedicated representative weekends workdwide (2 x 2 fortnights) in late May and early July

And a 6 week period from 3rd Weekend Oct through November

adamkungl

Immortal
8 teams.
Northern pool:
Top 2 NH WC teams
Euro Cup winner
America's Cup winner

Southern Pool:
Top 2 SH WC teams
Pacific cup winner
Africa-Asia cup winner

Pommy

Coach
If it's Ganna become 8 nations the next World Cup will need to be 16 teams

The problem with that is your going to have lots of crappy games. UEFA expanded the Euros this year and it just led to an utter bore fest.
16 teams with only 3 actual contenders isn't going to be great for TV.

morningstar

Juniors
The problem with that is your going to have lots of crappy games. UEFA expanded the Euros this year and it just led to an utter bore fest.
16 teams with only 3 actual contenders isn't going to be great for TV.

It's been confirmed that RLWC21 will be 16 teams. Assuming four groups of four, quarter finals, semi and a final that is only 3 extra games to what we have now. Not really too much extra fat.

axe&smash&crush

Juniors
It's been confirmed that RLWC21 will be 16 teams. Assuming four groups of four, quarter finals, semi and a final that is only 3 extra games to what we have now. Not really too much extra fat.

Cool, I'm thinking give two places to North America going forward, getting Canada in the World Cup with the USA can only be a good thing.

Pommy

Coach

If its four groups of four then the big three will have to be seeded and none of the group matches will essentially matter to a TV audience. You would expect the quarter finals would be equally as meaningless as the big three would have to play runners up from other groups.
Im all for more international league but this format to a casual fan isn't going to get going until the last 3 games are played.
Its a difficult position to be in as you need to grow the sport to increase the standard but if you dilute the spectacle you will struggle to grow the sport.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
If its four groups of four then the big three will have to be seeded and none of the group matches will essentially matter to a TV audience. You would expect the quarter finals would be equally as meaningless as the big three would have to play runners up from other groups.
Im all for more international league but this format to a casual fan isn't going to get going until the last 3 games are played.
Its a difficult position to be in as you need to grow the sport to increase the standard but if you dilute the spectacle you will struggle to grow the sport.

Proving the opposite for RU...the growth and standard of Japan, Canada, USA & some European teams besides the usual ones is because of the RU World Cup (and 7s).

Pommy

Coach
Proving the opposite for RU...the growth and standard of Japan, Canada, USA & some European teams besides the usual ones is because of the RU World Cup (and 7s).

There were a greater number of half decent sides in union though. Off the top of my head you had Aus, NZ, SA, Wales, England as not bad teams. We have 3 plus a load of heritage players. The second best team in Europe has 2 natives in their 24 man squad.
I hope it works out and does drive the sport on but the Euros were boring with 24 teams over the usual 16 and theirs a far higher number of competitive teams in that than we have. (if you dont like football theres really no need to turn this in to a I hate football topic)

jason1359

Juniors
Well if it's Ganna be 16 teams I'm happy I do believe international football will get stronger let's face it there is only 3 real contenders but we have seen teams like Samoa Fiji Scotland and even Tonga have a real crack u never know they will grow with the new eligibility rules.. If it's 4 groups of 4 it will be great to see the top to teams of each pool play finals atlesst there winning somthing. It's a bit unfair atm with only one team from group c and d making playoffs and teams finishing third from a and b playing on

jason1359

Juniors
Pool A
Australia
England
Png
Fiji

Pool B
NZ
Samoa
Tonga
Cook island

Pool C
USA
Russia
France
Italy

Pool D
Scotland
Ireland
Wales
Lebanon

paulmac

Juniors
My plan would be for a 'Champions' Trophy. Past World Cup champions ( ie Aus,NZ,Eng ) automatically qualify along with the European,Pacific & Nth American Champions.
6 teams,3 games each then a final.All the big guns play each other plus one minnow for 3 games,likewise the minnows play each other plus one big gun.So the draw would look a little like this
Week 1
Aus v Eng
NZ v France
Samoa v USA
Week 2
Aus v NZ
Eng v Samoa
USA v France
Week 3
Aus v USA
NZ v Eng
France v Samoa