What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
One thing I am worried about is the effect TMM will have on Moylan. The less ball Matty gets the worse we will be imo. He needs to touch the ball at least once a set

I think Moylan gets the ball when he wants it. I think we will use the ball more rather then a forward go to the line. Use the ball

mxlegend99

Referee
2 year deal... the only good news about the Rein rumour was it would only be one year. The one part we wanted to be right was wrong.

I hope that he is better for us than he has been the Dragons. Segeyaro and Korisau moved on early to have Rein become the successor/backup to Wallace at hooker.

We have made many improvements to our squad. Hooker is not one of them.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
I don't know - getting rid of Segeyaro at least got Wallace out of the halves, where he was complete and utter garbage. So... we can call it even, maybe.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Anyway, Browne, Rein, Oldfield, Nichols.... shouldn't our much vaunted youngsters be taking these squad positions, rather than more anonymous journeymen?

Kilkenny

Coach
I feel a bit sorry for ZDC who could have fulfilled the back role given he had a really good year in NSW Cup. Doubts about Katoa and Luke so pretty good signing in my opinion. I expect we will a number of players leaving to fit Rein under the cap.

maple_69

Bench
I reckon the upside of Rein getting a two year contract is that he likely would have taken less for 2 years. His only other option was England 2 years gives him a chance to get his career going. One year as Wallace back up and he would likely be back to where he started. Another year and he could be positioned to replace Wallace in a gun team. I think he would be on 150k or so.

Das Gupta

Juniors
Hate to be the bearer of bad news lads but Manly are chasing DWZ or Whare as a replacement for the retiring Steve Matai.

Another long-serving Manly centre, Jamie Lyon, has also retired. It's likely that at least one of the voids will be filled by a Panther in the long term.

It's understood the Sea Eagles have their sights set on two Penrith backs, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak and Dean Whare, as potential replacements. While Penrith would like to keep them both, it's likely one of them may shift from the foot of the mountains given the number of quality young three-quarters on their books.

Both players are themselves New Zealand internationals, with Whare notching 26 NRL games during his previous stint at Manly.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...fter-229-nrl-appearances-20161027-gscrcw.html

Hate to be the bearer of bad news lads but Manly are chasing DWZ or Whare as a replacement for the retiring Steve Matai.

It's understood the Sea Eagles have their sights set on two Penrith backs, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak and Dean Whare, as potential replacements. While Penrith would like to keep them both, it's likely one of them may shift from the foot of the mountains given the number of quality young three-quarters on their books.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...fter-229-nrl-appearances-20161027-gscrcw.html

Been a few rumours we are looking to move Whare on and maybe latimore. Don't believe the bullshit from Gould a month ago our roster is set for 2017. Mitch Rein is proof to that.
It wouldn't surprise me if Whare went back to Manly. Former club, loves the Northern beaches and he did get on well with Barrett.
Clubs can negotiate with DWZ on November 1 as he becomes a free agent for 2018. I would be very surprised if he was let go early.

Kilkenny

Coach
Anyway, Browne, Rein, Oldfield, Nichols.... shouldn't our much vaunted youngsters be taking these squad positions, rather than more anonymous journeymen?

It's really up to the more talented of our younger potential stars to stand up, put in performances in NSW Cup than demand selection or opportunity in the NRL side. It will happen I'm sure, particularly with one or two of the younger up and coming forwards.

I think the signing of Rein is basically an acknowledgement by our brains trust that ZDC, Katoa and Luke are unlikely to be good enough to be regulars in the NRL side.

Rein isn't good enough to be a regular in an NRL side, so I'm not sure how that works.
Like ive said elsewhere on LU all a hooker has to do in a side with Moylan,Cleary,TMM,Carty and Peach is give QUICK good ball. Rein is notoriously slow to pass the ball. I'll be amazed if he improves at 26

Kilkenny

Coach
Rein isn't good enough to be a regular in an NRL side, so I'm not sure how that works.

Rein has played well over 100 NRL games with the Dragons and has represented Country Origin on two occasions. He will provide more competition to Peter Wallace for the starting dummy half role than the others mentioned so clearly the club felt they needed cover in this critical position.

While I can understand the thinking behind the acquisition of Mitch Rein still a bit baffled by the signing of Tim Browne given we have an abundance of Front/Back Rowers.

Last edited:

ashton

Juniors
Yep at first I was baffled with the signing of Tim Browne......but after watching us play the Titans and the raiders late in the season I could see we needed some experience off the bench. Someone who can cart the ball forward.
As for Mitch Rein he came third in the most tackles in the NRL in 2016.....and Wallace has two crook knees...... so he will be a handy backup.

franklin2323

Immortal
Like ive said elsewhere on LU all a hooker has to do in a side with Moylan,Cleary,TMM,Carty and Peach is give QUICK good ball. Rein is notoriously slow to pass the ball. I'll be amazed if he improves at 26

Is he slow because he can't pass or is he a slow decision maker? If he's told just to pass only as quick as possible. Might be different

franklin2323

Immortal
Been a few rumours we are looking to move Whare on and maybe latimore. Don't believe the bullshit from Gould a month ago our roster is set for 2017. Mitch Rein is proof to that.
It wouldn't surprise me if Whare went back to Manly. Former club, loves the Northern beaches and he did get on well with Barrett.
Clubs can negotiate with DWZ on November 1 as he becomes a free agent for 2018. I would be very surprised if he was let go early.

DWZ won't play FB at Manly. Whare and Hiku seem the better pickup. Especially as Manly are still paying Hiku

franklin2323

Immortal

Where has anyone said he will be a regular? Barring Injuries I have him being behind Wallace, Soni Luke & ZDC. Soni Luke missed a huge part of the season. ZDC was halfback. Should Wallace fall down early and those 2 aren't ready we have Rein as an option. Rein that will be playing with a simple gameplan and far better attack and pack then Dragons had.

Kilkenny

Coach
It's not that long ago that we were grateful for almost any signing, most of which were far from marquee or even first graders at the peak of there powers. Since Gould took over he has addressed our salary cap and we almost seem inundated with signings and ironically we question the wisdom of some of them. How things have changed in a few short years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts