What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos targeting Jason Demetriou

Uplifting

Juniors
Let's say JD ends up coaching the Dragons one day, it'd be better that he spent another season learning off a great coach instead of being his own mentor at the Cutters for another season.

Gareth67

First Grade
Let's say JD ends up coaching the Dragons one day, it'd be better that he spent another season learning off a great coach instead of being his own mentor at the Cutters for another season.

I would like that to be the case also , as it would serve him to gain that invaluable experience elsewhere , in fact anywhere than at the Joint Venture .

I don't mean to be a defeatist , but I just wondering how many more years that the Dragons will be around . As it seems that everything that our imbecile Board touches turns to first- rate shat .

emu62

Juniors
Rebuilding cannot start till the demolition job is complete. Seems they have scheduled this for next year. Construction on a footy club may commence 2018 so long as there is no further delays. However, with the planning team we have in place, delays are highly likely.

Like it Brissy very funny The delays will happen but like McGregors excuse it will be due to "unforeseen external influences"

BrissyRedV

Bench
He is being groomed for the Broncos. We won't see him at the Dragons again.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade

I know JD is vastly different than Price but he was under Bennett...enough said

Gareth67

First Grade
O.V. - I read that earlier today also , most disappointing to say the least . It would appear that every other club in the NRL , is looking not only to next season , but also to its future .

Whereas we here , in the Land of Nod are fast asleep . Shameful !
I am so throughly disappointed with the Dragons board , for not being able to secure our clubs future as the other 15 teams are doing .

Promoting our Juniors , as deserving as they most certainly are , is not enough for our Club to keep pace with our rivals, other more pressing issues need to be addressed , a new direction , the announcement of a new coach for 2018 , whom is capable of instilling both confidence and the will to win into the players . In short we need some sort of hope for the future .

I don't wish to say " that I have supported the Dragons since the 60 . . ." as there are many among us whom I am sure have been there long before I .

But this Club , is now at the lowest point that I have ever seen it , I just hope that there will be a way out of the mess that we now find ourselves in .

It makes one wonder just how much ' spin ' has been put into the Red V membership advertising under , PASSION- PRIDE -COMMITTEMENT - HISTORY- BLOOD - .

Just what does that all really mean to the members of the Joint Ventures Board ?

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
The difference is Bennett chose JD. He had Price foisted on him. He taught Price nothing, but he may tutor JD.

Yes you could be right...time will tell I guess....personally I wouldn't put much faith in Bennett he seems to blow in the dollar wind...as I said before I wonder what Kevin Waters is thinking right now....as for Price I remember Bennetts speech just before he left us when he said we are in great hands with Price...yeah right

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
O.V. - I read that earlier today also , most disappointing to say the least . It would appear that every other club in the NRL , is looking not only to next season , but also to its future .

Whereas we here , in the Land of Nod are fast asleep . Shameful !
I am so throughly disappointed with the Dragons board , for not being able to secure our clubs future as the other 15 teams are doing .

Promoting our Juniors , as deserving as they most certainly are , is not enough for our Club to keep pace with our rivals, other more pressing issues need to be addressed , a new direction , the announcement of a new coach for 2018 , whom is capable of instilling both confidence and the will to win into the players . In short we need some sort of hope for the future .

I don't wish to say " that I have supported the Dragons since the 60 . . ." as there are many among us whom I am sure have been there long before I .

But this Club , is now at the lowest point that I have ever seen it , I just hope that there will be a way out of the mess that we now find ourselves in .

It makes one wonder just how much ' spin ' has been put into the Red V membership advertising under , PASSION- PRIDE -COMMITTEMENT - HISTORY- BLOOD - .

Just what does that all really mean to the members of the Joint Ventures Board ?

The Board commitment is as follows:

passion - in my own massive salary and in McGreedy
Pride - in my incompetence and the Boards nepotism
Commitment - to making dumb decisions, refusing to listen to fans and blaming others
History - of jobs for the boys
Blood - on everyone's hands but the Board

Last edited:

hazzbeen

Bench
Price learned off the GREAT COACH ..... didnt seem to help him ....

Mr Red

First Grade

I also remember an article where Price said something along the lines of "I don't want to be a Bennett clone, I want to do things my way.."
From memory the forum went into meltdown and for good reasons..

Pro Dragons

Juniors
This board and McGregor makes me feel sick in the stomach when I think about how they have crippled our club. They will go down in infinity as the selfish bastards that destroyed the club but I suppose because there won't be a club left their unprofessional selfish behaviour won't be remembered.

Uplifting

Juniors
True. I think that's one case that for me cast's doubt about the amount of exposure an assistant gets to the first grade coaching strategies and practices. But then there is Bellamy, he was Bennet's assistant too...

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Any preferences on who takes the vacant job?
We all know it'll probably be Hornby and Young or Head knowing the board, but if it were up to you, who would you look at?

getsmarty

Immortal
Deep cut for Dragons

Tim Barrow@@TheBarrow

28 Oct 2016, 11:54 a.m.
r45_0_4598_3348_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Scarlet and white delight: Jason Demetriou and the Illawarra Cutters celebrate winning the NRL State Challenge final at ANZ Stadium, beating Burleigh 54-12. Picture: Getty Images

EVEN half a world away, Wayne Bennett has managed to have a huge impact on his former club St George Illawarra.

Bennett’s focus might be on England’s Four Nations campaign, but he struck a major blow to the Dragons on Thursday, signing Jason Demetriou as an assistant.

If there’s a conversation about who could be among the next generation of great NRL coaches, Demetriou among the first names mentioned.

Everything he touches turns to gold.

After a lengthy playing career in the United Kingdom, Demetriou took Queensland Cup team Northern Pride to the inaurugral NRL State Challenge grand final victory in 2014.

Last year he was on Paul Green’s staff for North Queensland’s heart-stopping extra-time premiership success.

Then Demetriou delivers the first ever title of any description – other than the 1992 Tooheys Challenge at least – that the Illawarra can completely call its own.

And in style too.

Winning the NSW Premierships grand final over Mounties was a nail-biter, but on the biggest stage of all, the Cutters went whack, blowing Burleigh away to the tune of 54-12.

From it, Levi Dodd, Jacob Hind, Chris Lewis and Shaun Nona were rewarded with contract extensions, announced on Friday.

Of them, Hind looks a likely type for an NRL future, while explosive centre Dodd made the NSW Premiership team of the year.

The Cutters had barely finished celebrating their magical success when the Demetriou bombshell dropped.

And for all the pleasantries for his role this year, losing him, particularly to Bennett’s Broncos is a bitter blow.

“This opportunity was not something I expected or went looking for,” Demteriou said in a statement on the Dragons website.

“As I was already working on plans for the Dragons for 2017 when the approach came and after much thought and discussion with my family, I decided that this was the best thing for us.”

One of the most puzzling things about the Dragons this year was how they could be so blunt in attack, while their shadow team was so potent. Sure, there’s a gulf in standard between the two competitions, but the Dragons scored just 14 points per game.

Part of the Dragons plans were based around what North Queensland produced last year.

Losing prop Mose Masoe was a setback, but it became increasingly difficult to execute the Cowboys blueprint without forwards of the quality of Matt Scott and James Tamou.

Of course, Benji Marshall and Gareth Widdop’s form can’t be mentioned in the same breath as Johnathan Thurston and his ability to control the game either. But what Demetriou delivered for the Cutters could at least provide some optimism for the future, until Thursday’s announcement anyway.

With Paul McGregor under pressure after missing the finals and no major signing to replace Marshall, it adds more fuel to the blazing bonfire of St George Illawarra fan discontent.

The 2010 premiership duo Ben Hornby and Dean Young both have promising coaching careers ahead, but their positions only increase the outcry of perceived nepotism.

Is it fair to lump pressure on boom fullback Matt Dufty as a spark to the Dragons woes, especially after the failed move to put Kurt Mann in the No.1 jumper this season? Dufty is an outstanding prospect, but needs time to establish himself in the NRL.

Disgruntled supporters are excited at the rumours about Des Hasler replacing McGregor in 2018, but a lot would need to happen in the meantime.

With the club’s financial woes and significant delays in the Bruce Gordon part-ownership deal, chief executive Peter Doust and the new performance committee have very limited ability for any meaningful overhaul.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4257636/deep-cut-for-dragons/?cs=302

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Price and McGregor are both incompetent.
We need to move on. I do not think that we can criticise Hornby and Young as McGregor is pulling the strings.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Does anyone else believe that one of the reasons Bennett pilfered Demetriou was simply to piss Doust off?

I do.

I believe Doust's decision to not give Bennett his original five-year contract request still rankles deeply.