What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Association Football

84 Baby

Referee
I was just interested....
No you weren't. You were trying to have a dig and were brought to task.

But in the end -
I dont really see a correlation

Australia simply cant match the $s for any sport which is quite popular in other countries, so the local talent goes overseas when they get good - and we cant attract very high quality foreigners cos we dont have the money
This and as I showed with particularly the South Americans by and large professional domestic leagues mean jack all when the richest clubs around the world are going to buy the best players from around the world. It's not like the EPL only has Poms playing. Probably lucky if half the teams have a majority of players with English as their first language

Eelementary

Post Whore
Marc Janko
Pablo Contreras
Besart Berisha
Michael Jakobsen
Roy Krishna
Andy Keogh

All played for their national sides around the same time as they played in teams of the A-League.

We'll never get a Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo to come here in their prime over a European league, but we've had some quality imports imo.

phantom eel

First Grade
Lol, you must've been taking lessons from a certain well-dressed man at how to jump at shadows. It was a question, as I didn't know where to source the information that you subsequently provided.

I showed with particularly the South Americans by and large professional domestic leagues mean jack all when the richest clubs around the world are going to buy the best players from around the world. It's not like the EPL only has Poms playing. Probably lucky if half the teams have a majority of players with English as their first language
But the English national team is an example of a side which is largely (almost exclusively) drawn from its domestic league. As I stated, if the quality (and hence the salary levels) of a domestic league isn't high enough retain their best domestic players, then their best players will head overseas.

It's comforting I guess that those South American teams need to bring as many of their best players back as we need to. But the only thing that will help improve the quailty of a domestic league (and its eventual benefit to the national team) is if the quailty of the imported players is higher than the quailty of the exiled players.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I dont really see a correlation

Australia simply cant match the $s for any sport which is quite popular in other countries, so the local talent goes overseas when they get good - and we cant attract very high quality foreigners cos we dont have the money

But your national team can still be improving ... they players just happen to be on the bug $s elsewhere

Basketball is a similar example ... we came 4th at the recent olympics (almost 3rd) ... i think we had about 3 or 4 nbl merkins in the 12 man squad, probably would have been less but a few nba players werent available ... i doubt the NBL is anywhere near leagues in most of europe and north america
It's about producing young blokes good enough to get poached by the big leagues. Having a quality domestic league affects everything, right down to how many kids choose soccer over AFL.

Ideally the national team would be full of former A-League players, not current ones. At least while our market is as small as it is. Maybe we need less immigrants from Afghanistan and more from South America.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

But in the end -

This and as I showed with particularly the South Americans by and large professional domestic leagues mean jack all when the richest clubs around the world are going to buy the best players from around the world. It's not like the EPL only has Poms playing. Probably lucky if half the teams have a majority of players with English as their first language
The best EPL teams have f**k all English players.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Lol, you must've been taking lessons from a certain well-dressed man at how to jump at shadows. It was a question, as I didn't know where to source the information that you subsequently provided.

But the English national team is an example of a side which is largely (almost exclusively) drawn from its domestic league. As I stated, if the quality (and hence the salary levels) of a domestic league isn't high enough retain their best domestic players, then their best players will head overseas.

It's comforting I guess that those South American teams need to bring as many of their best players back as we need to. But the only thing that will help improve the quailty of a domestic league (and its eventual benefit to the national team) is if the quailty of the imported players is higher than the quailty of the exiled players.
In Australia we actually have a very low base in footballing talent. We might be wealthy, with a strong and fit population (for the most part) but soccer talent is a matter of culture. If kids aren't obsessed with soccer by the time they're about seven years old they'll never develop the technical skills required to match the world's best players. We match up physically and even mentally to any other national team. But we have always lacked the large numbers of players that are proficient in dribbling, shooting and so on to be a force internationally. Hopefully that will change someday, but it will require massively increased population and/or considerable increase in the percentage of boys who do nothing but kick soccer balls in their spare time.

Soccer has surged in popularity here since the start of the millennium, and those people who became Eurosnobs on the back of globalisation haven't been having kids very long. Those kids are being raised in an environment where soccer is cool. Give it another 20 years and I suspect Australian kids in general will be very good at the game. They might even call it football.

phantom eel

First Grade
How long do you reckon it should realistically take before an improved domestic league will filter results to the national team?
Sorry I didn't respond to this question earlier, but yes, 20 years is what I would have answered as well. 20 years of a consistently improving domestic league - which it hasn't been so far imo.

84 Baby

Referee

Can't even man up and own trying to internet belittle the a-league.

Of course the epl supplies pretty much all of the England side. It's where the money is at. In fact I'd wager the entire English professional system plus bundesliga, la liga and serie a supply more international players across the world than all other leagues combined

Gronk

Staff member
I guess we're just lucky that wealthier countries don't take rugby league seriously or the best Aussies would all be playing overseas.

Nice try. Strongest com in RU is still southern hemisphere notwithstanding the stupiculous cash available in UK, EU & JP.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Nice try. Strongest com in RU is still southern hemisphere notwithstanding the stupiculous cash available in UK, EU & JP.
If there's considerably more cash available overseas the best players won't stay in Australia and New Zealand for long.

Gronk

Staff member
If there's considerably more cash available overseas the best players won't stay in Australia and New Zealand for long.
There has been more money OS for a decade or more. Players stay local for less because they want to play in the strongest comp and rep for their country.

You can't get selected from an off shore team unless you have 20 or 30 tests under your belt.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
There has been more money OS for a decade or more. Players stay local for less because they want to play in the strongest comp and rep for their country.
How much more money is the question. If it was in the order of magnitude between the A-League and the richest European leagues I doubt they would care about the strength of the comp. In fact, if there really was more money in those leagues (across the board rather than just a bonanza for the odd marquee a la Alessandro Del Piero) then they would be stronger competitions than others. Market forces apply just as well to professional athletes as they do to anyone else.

phantom eel

First Grade
Can't even man up and own trying to internet belittle the a-league.
Lol, I'll happily own up to it when that's what's happening.

It wasn't on this occasion - I was posing a question, go back and read the post you overreacted to. Maybe ask Suity to borrow his tin foil hat for a week?

phantom eel

First Grade
I'm not full of Suitman, that's for sure... only in his dreams perhaps? *kiss emoticon*

You pricks jump at shadows way too much. I asked whether any other top 50 national teams have similar ratios of players from their domestic leagues selected (given there's some obvious ones like England and Germany that have loads more), and suddenly that's an attack on A-League?

Lol, give me some credit - when I belittle A-League, it's with a little more panache than by asking a question!

Latest posts