What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Performance Updates

getsmarty

Immortal
High Performance Update: Pre-Season 1
Fri 11th November, 12:00PM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons Head of Athletic Performance Nathan Pickworth provides an update on the team’s preparation following the commencement of the first phase of pre-season training.

Pickworth has been has been appointed to the lead performance role ahead of the new season and has worked within the Dragons Football department in various capacities since 2011.

He is an experienced sports performance professional with qualifications in Exercise Science, Strength and Conditioning and Physiotherapy who has previously held roles with both the ACT Brumbies and New South Wales Institute of Sport.

The Club will have two new Strength and Conditioning Coaches in Andrew Rondinelli and Alex Clarke.

Rondinelli joins the Club in a dual role, which also includes performance nutrition, having previously worked with both Port Adelaide FC and Carlton FC.

Clarke joins the Dragons from his role as Physical Performance Consultant with the Chinese Olympic Track and Field team and has previous held roles with both the Brisbane Lions FC and Hawthorn FC.

Additionally, Chris Bailey arrives as the new NRL Physiotherapist after previous roles with both the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles (2014-2016) and Australian Rugby Union (2011-2014) while Billy Hulin as Sport Scientist will work on an expanded role that will include our scientific and performance analytical activities.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/11/11/high_performance_upd.html

I expect to see the Cutters have another good season with alot of players dropping down.

Matty Head turned the under 20's around last year after a slow start and he will relish having older players to coach as well as some of the under 20's.

The Under 20's again a massive overhaul of the roster which happens every year but alot of talented SG Ball players coming in but I see them struggling a little with a lack of experience losing the likes of Payne, Taufa and Leatigaga will hurt.

First grade i don't see alot of improvement in regards to structure.

Old Timer

Coach
I think the article should actually read something like this

Fri 11th November, 12:00PM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons Head of Athletic Performance Nathan Pickworth provides an update on the team’s preparation following the commencement of the first phase of pre-season training.

Well StGI fans it's great to be here at the club and I like you am really looking forward to the pressers after each game.

After Mary has been through all the usual excuses he will not doubt get to this area of the team performance and push the blame on to me.

Just to give you a bit of a heads up I should let you know that, we actually don't have any high performance, but I guess you already know that.

So after I get thrown under the bus I do hope that you fans come and visit me, as at least I've been upfront.

We all have to feel sorry for Billy Hulin as Sport Scientist who will work on an expanded role that will include our scientific and performance analytical activities if anyone can figure out what that means let alone do it.

So no doubt he will go under the bus as it reverses back over me and he will also end up in the hospital.

Hopefully my background in Physiotherapy and a bit of assistance from Chris Bailey who has wowed them with his success at the ARU will help us recover just in time to get the arse at seasons end.

So looking forward to a year of Dragons footy with Big Mac and you can bet your bottom dollar 2017 will never appear on my CV.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Hope I'm wrong but I feel pretty underwhelmed by all these new support staff.

This is a tricky one TBH.

I really like the idea of fresh blood bringing fresh ideas and methods to our training group. The new guys look pretty sharp and will bring some much needed 'clean" air.
On the flip side they don't seem to have much experience trainers at NRL level, and 2 have come from the AFL.

Yet to be seen if the positive outweighs the negative. But for the moment I'm willing to run with the selections and see if they can inspire our training programs.

Old Timer

Coach
If McGregor is a goner after 2017 then these new guys are all going to be swept away on the tide when the new coach brings his own staff in.
So therefore if the above is true how much can they achieve in 1 year or if the above is not true then Mc Gregor is staying for a lot longer than 1 year.

emack

Juniors
Unfortunately with McUseless still at the helm, support staff are like putting a bandaid on an infected cut...............the bandaid does squat to heal the cut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coffs dragon

Bench
Could be a master stroke bringing all these high performance staff onboard with their AFL experience & backgrounds. The AFL boys play on fields some 160m in length as opposed to Mary identifying our attack struggled last year cause the NRL fields were 2m too long. So Mary has changed the staff and training method to combat this 98m short field syndrome....Brilliant!!

emu62

Juniors

Additionally, Chris Bailey arrives as the new NRL Physiotherapist after previous roles with both the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles (2014-2016) and Australian Rugby Union (2011-2014) while Billy Hulin as Sport Scientist will work on an expanded role that will include our scientific and performance analytical activities.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/11/11/high_performance_upd.html

Chris Bailey - dont know what he is like as a physiotherapist but loved him as lead singer
of that great Australian Band, apply named "The Saints" So should do well in singing the team song (if we win)
Billy Hulin- Sport scientist, same title as Steven Dank, Hope his methods are different

TheOnlyTeam

Juniors
Could be a master stroke bringing all these high performance staff onboard with their AFL experience & backgrounds. The AFL boys play on fields some 160m in length as opposed to Mary identifying our attack struggled last year cause the NRL fields were 2m too long. So Mary has changed the staff and training method to combat this 98m short field syndrome....Brilliant!!
Yep, they will all be kicking and running over the deadball line.

Uplifting

Juniors
If McGregor is a goner after 2017 then these new guys are all going to be swept away on the tide when the new coach brings his own staff in.
So therefore if the above is true how much can they achieve in 1 year or if the above is not true then Mc Gregor is staying for a lot longer than 1 year.
The way things work now a days you could be right OT. But it's one year at a time and it's in everyone's interest to have a good one. At the very least, to enhance the resume and help land the next job.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
The Dragons have at least six players
returning from injury being Garrick, Glymin,
Hind, Masoe, Nona and Packer plus the five
Test players Aitken , Dugan, Frizell, Nightingale and Widdop not returning until the 1st January, 2017. That means that up to eleven players out of a squad of 37 players will not be fully training and practising moves from the 7th November until 31st December, 2016. I hope plans are afoot to ensure that the team is fit and cohesive prior to the Nines and two trial games in February. This will be a challenge to the coaches, fitness staff and players given it is important that there should be no excuses for unacceptable performances apart from incompetence when the competition commences early in March 2017.

Old Timer

Coach
DR
The test players are obviously doing enough physical training so no issues there.
Masoe has been recovering for a long period so should be OK, Packer is as tough as old boots and would expect him to come back as quickly as Tyson did last year.
The others will be Cutters bound for the beginning of the season with only Nona likely to get a run in NRL
In respect of practising moves well do we actually have anything to practise maybe whether we stand on the left or right side of the post after we concede a try?
The nines is a non event and hopefully the young guns from the 20's and a few from the Cutters plus Mc Donald make up the squad.
Re no excuses in fact that is probably what is being practised most as there will no doubt be plenty of them old and new alike.

BrissyRedV

Bench
The Dragons have at least six players
returning from injury being Garrick, Glymin,
Hind, Masoe, Nona and Packer plus the five
Test players Aitken , Dugan, Frizell, Nightingale and Widdop not returning until the 1st January, 2017. That means that up to eleven players out of a squad of 37 players will not be fully training and practising moves from the 7th November until 31st December, 2016. I hope plans are afoot to ensure that the team is fit and cohesive prior to the Nines and two trial games in February. This will be a challenge to the coaches, fitness staff and players given it is important that there should be no excuses for unacceptable performances apart from incompetence when the competition commences early in March 2017.
Training prior to Christmas at most clubs does not focus on attacking or defensive team structures. The training is mainly individual fitness and some ball work. 2 months should be ample time to develop and practice attacking plays as many other clubs demonstrate already. Our issue is our coaching staff are incompetent.

getsmarty

Immortal
High Performance Update: Pre-Season 2
Fri 18th November, 07:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons Head of Athletic Performance Nathan Pickworth provides an update on the team’s preparation as the first phase of pre-season training continues.

Dragons prop Russell Packer is in the midst of his rehabilitation after undergoing both shoulder and hip surgery during the off-season break.

Furthermore, fellow prop Leeson Ah Mau is also in the midst of recovery after he suffered a high grade MCL knee injury while representing Toa Samoa in the 201-18 loss to Fiji Bati in October.

Dragons new recruit Shaun Nona is also recovering from off-season ankle injury after hurting it while in action for the Illawarra Cutters in the NRL State Championship in October.

Furthermore, prop Mose Masoe is continuing his own comeback from a season-long ACL knee injury sustained during last pre-season.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/11/17/high_performance_upd.html

getsmarty

Immortal
High Performance Update: Pre-Season 3
Fri 25th November, 07:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons Head of Athletic Performance Nathan Pickworth provides an update on the five players who took part in the Four Nations tournament held in England recently.

Dragons Player of the Year Tyson Frizell and Red V Members Player of the Year Josh Dugan were both involved with Australia whilst winger Jason Nightingale featured for New Zealand.

Furthermore, captain Garent Widdop represented England and centre Euan Aitken likewise for Scotland.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/11/25/high_performance_upd.html